Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,974
    Windows 10 IoT
       3 Weeks Ago #11

    nt62 said: View Post
    disagree only from experience > I have NOT EVER received an update. (or notification)

    Attachment 110096

    Attachment 110097
    Yes but isn't it all or nothing? Can you pick which updates you want from the list? With Windows Update for Business you can pick and chose which ones you want and what you don't want. And, can't you block all updates with from Pro? If yes why use Enterprise?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,032
    Windows 10 Pro
       3 Weeks Ago #12

    nt62 said: View Post
    True Kari:

    Update > Server 2016 evaluation can be activated to a full version.

    Attachment 110100
    Who has said something about Server 2016? What on earth does it have to do with the topic of this thread? In this thread we are talking about Windows 10 Enterprise edition. It can't be converted to a retail version.

    I can of course understand your need to be right and not to accept to be corrected but that went a bit too far. Server 2016 has nothing (I repeat: nothing!) to do with Windows 10 Enterprise evaluation.

    A volume licensing product like Enterprise has no retail licenses. Comparing it to a product which has normal retail licenses available does not make no sense. Absolutely no sense.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,974
    Windows 10 IoT
       3 Weeks Ago #13

    nt62 said: View Post
    True Kari:

    Update > Server 2016 evaluation can be activated to a full version.

    Attachment 110100
    Even if you could switch from evale to full version, there is no option to Enter a Retail key for Enterprise. It uses VL activation, which usually isn't a viable option for a consumer. Unless you have an MSDN subscription etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    3 Weeks Ago #14

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Yes but isn't it all or nothing? Can you pick which updates you want from the list? With Windows Update for Business you can pick and chose which ones you want and what you don't want. And, can't you block all updates with from Pro? If yes why use Enterprise?
    Hello alphanumeric.

    I am not the OP but to your points > I know nothing about Update for Business > plead ignorance

    About PRO, don't understand what the OP said.
    I used PRO for months and never received an update.

    Cannot speak to the OP's point > I only use Enterprise LTSB because it is bare bones.
    At the moment, I like Server 2016.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    3 Weeks Ago #15

    Kari said: View Post
    ...

    apologies >
    Last edited by nt62; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:10. Reason: puerile berate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    3 Weeks Ago #16

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Even if you could switch from evale to full version, there is no option to Enter a Retail key for Enterprise. It uses VL activation, which usually isn't a viable option for a consumer. Unless you have an MSDN subscription etc.
    True
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,974
    Windows 10 IoT
       3 Weeks Ago #17

    nt62 said: View Post
    Hello alphanumeric.

    I am not the OP but to your points > I know nothing about Update for Business > plead ignorance

    About PRO, don't understand what the OP said.
    I used PRO for months and never received an update.

    Cannot speak to the OP's point > I only use Enterprise LTSB because it is bare bones.
    At the moment, I like Server 2016.
    My point is, if you can block all updates with Pro, why go with Enterprise? Assuming, that's all the Op wants to do. If he wants control over which updates get applied, I don't think just installing Enterprise will be enough. You will still need access to Windows Update For Business. That's my understanding, I don't have access to that service so even with Enterprise I get my updates just like any other version of Windows 10. Via Windows Update.

    Really, it all comes down to whether the OP has license to run Enterprise or not?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Enterprise
       3 Weeks Ago #18
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Enterprise
       3 Weeks Ago #19

    Thanks for the help.


    alphanumeric said: View Post
    My point is, if you can block all updates with Pro, why go with Enterprise? Assuming, that's all the Op wants to do. If he wants control over which updates get applied, I don't think just installing Enterprise will be enough. You will still need access to Windows Update For Business. That's my understanding, I don't have access to that service so even with Enterprise I get my updates just like any other version of Windows 10. Via Windows Update.

    Really, it all comes down to whether the OP has license to run Enterprise or not?
    I can run enterprise. I was just going off reading reports online about how the new Windows 10 AU is not respecting Group policies and biased towards active hours. Would hate to be doing something and have a restart. I also always have at least 10 tabs open with important info i need to reference. I don't want my pc to shutdown even if im not using it at that moment and its not an active hour.

    Also it looks like microsoft is moving more and more features power users use to the higher editions.
    Taken from the Microsoft support page

    "
    2. With Windows Pro you had the option (using Group Policy Editor) to disable the Lock Screen. I have no use for it and had it disabled in both Win 8 and Win 10 until now. However with the Anniversary Update, Windows 10 is ignoring that GP Edit setting. WHY??? I smell new ads coming.

    Microsoft has moved many of the previously available GPO's to the premium business edition of Windows 10, Enterprise, only available Volume License Customers. "

    I remember last year when i needed a feature " I forget the exact one" and Since I was not on a higher version I couldn't use it" however since i have the opportunity to use the enterprise edition I might as well and not have to worry about it later.




    nt62 said: View Post
    Hello alphanumeric.

    I am not the OP but to your points > I know nothing about Update for Business > plead ignorance

    About PRO, don't understand what the OP said.
    I used PRO for months and never received an update.

    Cannot speak to the OP's point > I only use Enterprise LTSB because it is bare bones.
    At the moment, I like Server 2016.
    Are you on the anniversary update? Before i updated to it i could defer the upgrade easily and see what windows was trying to download. I could also easily ignore updates if I wanted to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    3 Weeks Ago #20

    Windows 10 is ignoring that GP Edit setting
    New information: Yes, you may be right.
    All previous systems, well, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 build (10240) were controlled by that GP setting.

    This is the same build as 10 Anniversary

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winver.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	110141

    If you're right > then that GP setting has been disabled.
    So, the disabled setting no longer applies. ?
    Don't know yet.
    I'll be surprised if unrequested updates happen !
    I just did a clean install today of this system on my Alienware.
    Will keep an eye on it to see if any unrequested updates happen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bogus no longer.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	110143

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no updates yet.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	110145
    Last edited by nt62; 3 Weeks Ago at 20:40.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Surface Surface Enterprise Initiative Expands to Meet Business Mobility Needs
Source: Surface Enterprise Initiative Expands to Meet Evolving Business Mobility Needs | Microsoft Devices Blog
Windows 10 News
Should I clean install Windows 10 Enterprise OEM Activated or not?
Hi, I am considering to clean install windows 10 enterprise oem activated. But I was wondering if my hardware will be compatible or not because I have heard that an oem os is locked to the computer's hardware. Now considering that I successfully...
Installation and Setup
Surface New Surface Enterprise Initiative Will Further Windows 10 Adoption
Source: New Surface Enterprise Initiative Will Further Windows 10 Adoption | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
windows 10 box edtion artwork
here is home box 24078 here is pro box 24080
Windows 10 News
Surface You can now install the Windows 10 preview on the Surface 3
Read more: You can now install the Windows 10 preview on the Surface 3 | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:35.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums