Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
       09 Jun 2015 #1

    Which installation method shall i use to evaluate?


    yes, Which installation method shall i use to evaluate?
    I have 2 physical drives, a C:\ drive with my windows 7 and i have a D:\ storage drive.
    I would like to try Win 10 without affecting AT ALL my beloved win 7. Shall i install Win 10 in the D:\ drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    09 Jun 2015 #2

    use ISO, install side by side
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Posts : 841
    14955 Pro
       09 Jun 2015 #3

    Use Disk Management to Shrink D: by 120GB and format the resulting partition NTFS. Give it a letter designation, G or anything not being used.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 623
    W10 pro x64 and W10 x86
       10 Jun 2015 #4

    marcosdipaolo said: View Post
    I would like to try Win 10 without affecting AT ALL my beloved win 7.
    My opinion for what its worth would be to install and then learn to use and trust disk imaging software. Make a FULL image of your drive so that it includes ALL partitions and make sure it is stored on an external disk/flash drive etc. Then you can install 10 any way you want in the full knowledge that you can get back to exactly where you started from if needed.

    To do otherwise is just crazy imo because things often don't work as expected... and then what you gonna do ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       10 Jun 2015 #5

    Use an ISO disk and do a clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       10 Jun 2015 #6

    Mooly said: View Post
    My opinion for what its worth would be to install and then learn to use and trust disk imaging software. Make a FULL image of your drive so that it includes ALL partitions and make sure it is stored on an external disk/flash drive etc. Then you can install 10 any way you want in the full knowledge that you can get back to exactly where you started from if needed.

    To do otherwise is just crazy imo because things often don't work as expected... and then what you gonna do ?

    He doesn't need to do any of that, he has two drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 623
    W10 pro x64 and W10 x86
       10 Jun 2015 #7

    Rocky said: View Post
    He doesn't need to do any of that, he has two drives.
    Yes he does say that... as long as they are physically separate and not partitions on one drive, or a plug in drive etc. Just trying to cover all eventualities with imaging software, it really is your get out of jail card.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 993
    Windows 10 Pro,
       10 Jun 2015 #8

    You're absolutely right. Better safe than sorry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2014
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 PRO
       10 Jun 2015 #9

    I use an external drive and just clone W7, it's there if I need it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586)
       09 Aug 2015 #10

    Mooly said: View Post
    Yes he does say that... as long as they are physically separate and not partitions on one drive, or a plug in drive etc. Just trying to cover all eventualities with imaging software, it really is your get out of jail card.
    yes, they are physically separate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
build 10041 To FORCE clean install from ISO (made via Kari's method)
Hi there To FORCE a clean install if you are using the ISO (or USB created from the ISO). 1) download something like GPARTED. 2) delete existing C partition 3) now boot the ISO / USB stick.
Windows Insider
Solved Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home...?
Anyone testing w10 direct upgrade method from 7 Home premium? Here is what I mean, you have everything you wanted installed on windows 7. Then you chose to upgrade instead of doing a clean install. If so, your complaints and praises please.
Installation and Setup
An alternate method of uploading your Signature.
Edit: There is now an option to create an album to store your Signature/Avatar on this forum. Just create an Album that contains your Signature and click once on it to view, then copy the Image URL in the browser address bar. Choose the Signature...
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums