Windows 10: Can't reset PC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 Nov 2016 #1

    Can't reset PC?


    What happened: AVAST updated and asked to reboot. When it rebooted I could hear the opening tones of windows 10 but nothing comes up on the screen.
    Tried Safemode - same result
    Tried system restore and all my restore points failed.
    Tried resetting and keeping my files - failed
    Tried resetting pc completely - failed (!)

    I'm not even sure what to do now...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 1,569
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       04 Nov 2016 #2

    jimbabwe said: View Post
    What happened: AVAST updated and asked to reboot. When it rebooted I could hear the opening tones of windows 10 but nothing comes up on the screen.
    Tried Safemode - same result
    Tried system restore and all my restore points failed.
    Tried resetting and keeping my files - failed
    Tried resetting pc completely - failed (!)

    I'm not even sure what to do now...
    How can you access all the above when you say nothing comes up on the screen?
    Try turning on the computer then hold down the power button.....do this a few times then perhaps Windows will perform a repair.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    04 Nov 2016 #3

    dencal said: View Post
    How can you access all the above when you say nothing comes up on the screen?
    Try turning on the computer then hold down the power button.....do this a few times then perhaps Windows will perform a repair.
    When the computer boots up I see the windows boot screen (blue windows logo with the spinning dots). During this time I can get into the f8 window with safemode, system repair, restore etc. but none of those features actually work. Once windows actually boots up the screen flashes like it's receiving no information. I hear the opening tone of Windows but nothing comes up on the screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 1,569
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       04 Nov 2016 #4

    Have you tried my power button suggestion?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    04 Nov 2016 #5

    jimbabwe said: View Post
    When the computer boots up I see the windows boot screen (blue windows logo with the spinning dots). During this time I can get into the f8 window with safemode, system repair, restore etc. but none of those features actually work. Once windows actually boots up the screen flashes like it's receiving no information. I hear the opening tone of Windows but nothing comes up on the screen.
    It's running right now - says it might take over an hour....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    04 Nov 2016 #6

    jimbabwe said: View Post
    It's running right now - says it might take over an hour....
    Odd - after running repair it the screen light isn't flashing anymore, but still nothing on the screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 1,569
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       04 Nov 2016 #7

    Check monitor connections, if ok then try again to get running repair.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    04 Nov 2016 #8

    The monitor is plugged in - the bios screen still comes up like I said - I just lose the monitor after windows loads. I did unplug and replug it though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    04 Nov 2016 #9

    Does Avast have any bootable media you can use? Can you disable it from Safe Mode?

    Do you see anything on the screen, like a cursor whether mouse or one blinking?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    04 Nov 2016 #10

    Saltgrass said: View Post
    Does Avast have any bootable media you can use? Can you disable it from Safe Mode?

    Do you see anything on the screen, like a cursor whether mouse or one blinking?
    Can't get into safemode - best I can do is command prompt. Nothing on the screen. Light is flashing on the monitor like there's no input when I try to load windows of any kind but I can get to command prompt from the advanced options troubleshooting screen - it's the only thing that works
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
reset this PC in Installation and Setup
I have the message that I am unable to use Reset because UAC is set to always notify me of system changes. Can someone explain this to me as I have not yet found an explanation by searching on google. Thanks
Getting an infinite loading sort of error where my comp goes to HP loading screen, blackscreen, turns off, and repeats. Very annoying and nothing I've seen so far is working. I don't have a disk or drive to use to reload Windows with, and I didn't...
Cannot Reset PC in Installation and Setup
i've been having bad problems lately with my pc it will randomly shutdown or sometimes reboots it seems to be completely random cause it will shutdown like 20 mins into a game like gta 5 high graphics but now it has been dying on me while using...
Reset this PC does nothing in Installation and Setup
I bought a used PC that came with Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. There are still files and such left over from the previous owner so I wanted to do a complete reset of windows 10 and return to factory defaults. The problem is that when I go...
Reset this PC in Installation and Setup
Hey all, Just finished upgrading to 10 and I'd like to reset everything to factory. My question is: If I choose the restore factory settings option (which restores my PC to it's original OS), will that reset me back to Windows 8, or is my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums