1. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows
       20 Oct 2016 #1

    System reset not working


    Last night I reset to factory default and around 10 it finished and was installing and repairing drives I woke up around 9 in the morning to see it still at 100% so I gave it another hour then shut it down. I turned it back on and it was just a black screen a few hours later I took my headphones out and it started installing windows it got to 10% then froze (I got like 3 1 second power outs in like 30 seconds not sure if that matters or not) then I gave it another hour and it didn't move so I restarted my computer again and not it just says the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and unexpected error windows installation cannot proceed to install windows click ok to restart the computer and installation.

    ps it's a ho pavilion 500-437c and I was trying to reset it cause my internet started to be trash
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,241
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       20 Oct 2016 #2

    Hello, given all you've said including power outages, unless you have a disk image you can restore (We strongly recommend using 3rd party disk imaging as this gives you a second chance usually without technical help) I would suggest you

    a. Back up any data you haven't got backed up
    (You could, e.g. boot your PC using Kyhi's boot disk you can download at from the top of the Software and Apps section here)
    b. Check your drive given your references to repairing it etc
    c. Wipe all partitions on your system disk that are not data partitions or your factory reset partition (You will know if you created any data partitions, if not, ignore this)
    d. Clean install Win 10.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows
       20 Oct 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hello, given all you've said including power outages, unless you have a disk image you can restore (We strongly recommend using 3rd party disk imaging as this gives you a second chance usually without technical help) I would suggest you

    a. Back up any data you haven't got backed up
    (You could, e.g. boot your PC using Kyhi's boot disk you can download at from the top of the Software and Apps section here)
    b. Check your drive given your references to repairing it etc
    c. Wipe all partitions on your system disk that are not data partitions or your factory reset partition (You will know if you created any data partitions, if not, ignore this)
    d. Clean install Win 10.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    I'm not exactly sure how I would do that seeing as I installed windows 10 through the computer and not a disc or any external means also I basically can't do anything other then press ok on this computer and that doesn't do anything
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,241
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       20 Oct 2016 #4

    SnowyAzazel said: View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how I would do that seeing as I installed windows 10 through the computer and not a disc or any external means also I basically can't do anything other then press ok on this computer and that doesn't do anything
    Hi, please read the tutorial carefully. It links to this.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Win 10 is freely downloadable - for anyone- anywhere.
    And if you don't already know, your PC will activate automatically.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows
       20 Oct 2016 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, please read the tutorial carefully. It links to this.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Win 10 is freely downloadable - for anyone- anywhere.
    And if you don't already know, your PC will activate automatically.
    Thank you but my problem has changed a bit now it's stuck in a restart loop and on 64% either I downloaded windows onto a flash drive and when I plugged it into my computer nothing happened and it just kept restarting if you have anything to fix that it would be greatly appreciated
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home
       20 Oct 2016 #6

    SnowyAzazel,

    Did you configure the computer to boot from the flash drive?
    Last edited by cottonball; 20 Oct 2016 at 20:16.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Home
       20 Oct 2016 #7

    Just in case, the steps for configuring the computer to boot from the flash drive are basically as follows:

    • Turn on the computer.
    • As soon as you see the logo, look closely and quickly to find and press either F2, F10, Esc, or Del.
    • The key to press is displayed under the computer's logo.
    • The above are the most common keys for entering the computer's BIOS Setup menu. Every manufacturer has a different BIOS setup.


    When in, navigate to the Boot Menu to change the boot order.

    • Once you are in the Boot menu, you see a list of devices in the order the computer attempts to boot from. The first device listed is the computer’s hard drive, usually followed by the CD/DVD drive.
    • Select the first boot device (probably the HDD) and change it to the flash drive.
    • This will make the computer check your flash drive first after turning on, instead of the hard drive. The USB flash drive may be recognized as a Removable Device or display the flash drive’s model name.


    Make sure you Save and Exit. There may be a key displayed (like F10) that will Save and Exit with one keystroke.

    Save and Exit reboots the computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows
       20 Oct 2016 #8

    cottonball said: View Post
    Just in case, the steps for configuring the computer to boot from the flash drive are basically as follows:

    • Turn on the computer.
    • As soon as you see the logo, look closely and quickly to find and press either F2, F10, Esc, or Del.
    • The key to press is displayed under the computer's logo.
    • The above are the most common keys for entering the computer's BIOS Setup menu. Every manufacturer has a different BIOS setup.


    When in, navigate to the Boot Menu to change the boot order.

    • Once you are in the Boot menu, you see a list of devices in the order the computer attempts to boot from. The first device listed is the computer’s hard drive, usually followed by the CD/DVD drive.
    • Select the first boot device (probably the HDD) and change it to the flash drive.
    • This will make the computer check your flash drive first after turning on, instead of the hard drive. The USB flash drive may be recognized as a Removable Device or display the flash drive’s model name.


    Make sure you Save and Exit. There may be a key displayed (like F10) that will Save and Exit with one keystroke.

    Save and Exit reboots the computer.
    I have followed your steps and I did get to where you asked and did what you said but after that it said it was checking the flash drive and just started the loop again I'm running a system extensive test to see if it can't find anything wrong other then that I don't know what to do know
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,241
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       21 Oct 2016 #9

    SnowyAzazel said: View Post
    I have followed your steps and I did get to where you asked and did what you said but after that it said it was checking the flash drive and just started the loop again I'm running a system extensive test to see if it can't find anything wrong other then that I don't know what to do know
    The trick is to set the boot priority in your BIOS as Cottonball says so your PC checks for a bootable source being present in your optical drive or via USB, before it checks your hard drive.

    If a flash drive doesn't work, try burning a Win 10 iso to a DVD, or the boot disk at the top of the Software and Apps section in this forum (which is too large for a CD apparently).

    If you do that, your hard disk is irrelevant as you are running from what's loaded from the flash drive/DVD in RAM - unless you have some other hardware fault...

    You could even try removing the hard drive and booting from e.g. a DVD just to see if that will work..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Stuck restarting after failed factory reset, reset still not working
Getting an infinite loading sort of error where my comp goes to HP loading screen, blackscreen, turns off, and repeats. Very annoying and nothing I've seen so far is working. I don't have a disk or drive to use to reload Windows with, and I didn't...
Installation and Setup
Can I do a system reset and have Window 10 install on a different HD
Somehow by installing the benchmark program Unigine Heaven I severely corrupted my Windows 10 OS. I have done a lot of reading in the last few days and tried the least invasive methods of correcting the problem to no avail. I have come to the...
Installation and Setup
Laptop will not boot up after system reset
I wanted to reset my laptop back to factory settings then it was stuck at 99% for a couple hours so I decided to forcefully turn it off and back on again, now when I turn it back on it gets to the Windows logo and a loading symbol. This is on...
General Support
freeze after system reset
I was having major issues on my HP DV7 laptop with win 10 so tried resetting to win 7 and now for 5+ hours has been stuck on "resetting this PC 99%". can I power it off and restart or should I just let it keep going? there was nothing worth saving...
General Support
Windows 10 system reset stuck at 1%
Hello everyone. Last night I upgraded my laptop running Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with the media creation tool. I wanted to have a clean install, so I went into the settings and reset my PC so it would be like a clean install instead of using the...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums