Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

  1. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,202
    Windows 10 IoT
       04 Jun 2015 #61

    I apologize if I'm coming across as antagonistic or argumentative. That is not my intension. I'm just curious to know how this is going to work and if you know something that I don't? That's all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Jun 2015 #62

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Showkey ,Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

    Windows 7 OEM SLP installs do not activate online, Windows 10 will. What's to stop anyone from using that OEM key to install Windows 10 on any PC? Windows 8 PC's with embedded keys each have a unique key all their own. Windows 7 OEM PC's don't.

    EDIT: I'm thinking its going to ask for the key on the COA sticker. That will be a unique key for that PC.
    Huh? Windows 10 would automatically detect the SLP in SLIC, the user doesn't have to type it in, so what stops anyone from using the OEM key is that it's not in BIOS for anyone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,202
    Windows 10 IoT
       04 Jun 2015 #63

    Mystere said: View Post
    Huh? Windows 10 would automatically detect the SLP in SLIC, the user doesn't have to type it in, so what stops anyone from using the OEM key is that it's not in BIOS for anyone.
    You lost me with that reply? Windows 7 PC's do not have a product code in the BIOS. The SLIC table does not contain a product code, its also not locked to a specific version. It's just coded Dell Windows 7, or HP Windows 7. The custom OEM install media determines what version of Windows 7 is installed. Just reading the SLIC table will not tell you what version of Windows 7 is installed, just that its authorized for an OEM install of Windows 7.

    My Windows 7 install that I listed above is an OEM install. Just checked my laptop, Windows 8.1 Core (embedded key) upgraded to Windows 10074 > 10122 > 10130. The listed "Installed key" does not match the one listed as "Original key".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 Jun 2015 #64

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    You lost me with that reply? Windows 7 PC's do not have a product code in the BIOS. The SLIC table does not contain a product code, its also not locked to a specific version. It's just coded Dell Windows 7, or HP Windows 7. The custom OEM install media determines what version of Windows 7 is installed. Just reading the SLIC table will not tell you what version of Windows 7 is installed, just that its authorized for an OEM install of Windows 7.
    I misspoke. What I meant was that the upgrade would see the SLP key that was used to install the previous version of Windows and, combined with the SLIC table for that vendor, give you the equivalent activated version of Windows 10.

    If you are installing clean, then you would use the COA key when Installing Windows 10, or in WIndows 8, it would get the key from the BIOS. All major Windows 7 OEM hardware shipped with 2 sets of keys, the SLP key and the COA key. Either could be used for activation (either auto-activation or phone activation).

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    My Windows 7 install that I listed above is an OEM install. Just checked my laptop, Windows 8.1 Core (embedded key) upgraded to Windows 10074 > 10122 > 10130. The listed "Installed key" does not match the one listed as "Original key".

    I asked you before, what tool are you using that lists "Original Key" and "Installed Key"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jun 2015 #65

    @Alpha don't be too concerned about keys... Gabe has already stated neither Windows 7 nor Windows 8 keys will be required.

    How GWX will validate underlying systems is all conjecture right now... it may well be enough to have a valid slic table (MSDM in Win8) on an activated system to read the qualifying edition (as far as OEM installs are concerned)

    Regarding ShowKeyPlus - I'm working on providing the Win7 edition (together with the original key) - it will be in the next release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 623
    W10 pro x64 and W10 x86
       05 Jun 2015 #66

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    Yes but you would have to do the upgrate first either throught the update or with ISO. The will give you a new key and WIndows 10 will be reactivated. Then you dl the ISO for the clean install and provide the new key.
    Thanks. The 'can I clean install' was really the opening question in all this... the way the licensing might work is an interesting discussion.

    Mystere said: View Post
    I believe this is widely mis-reported and misunderstood. I don't think there will be new keys. You will simply be using your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.x key with Windows 10. If you do an upgrade of Windows 10 today from Windows 7 Home, and then use the key finder, it returns your Windows 7 key, and I believe that is exactly how it will work after RTM.
    Thinking of specifics (that apply to me ), what might happen in this case.


    Situation 1. My main PC runs a paid for W8.1. Lets say I upgrade, format and clean install. The license issue is handled in whatever way Microsoft decide. After doing all this I decide 10 isn't for me at the moment and I want to go back to 8.1

    I'm assuming in this the first case that there should be no issue. My 'reinstall' of 8.1 would simply be reinstating a disk image that was already licensed and so the original license would still work with no action needed.


    Situation 2. As above, however this time I decide I really like W10 and so I intend to now fully install my copy of W8.1 on a different PC and to use the main PC's original Dell OEM W7 disc to bring it up to W10 qualifying status. That would give me (legally) a W7 to W10 'OEM' upgrade and then a clean install on the main PC, and the option of either using 8.1 or going down the 8.1>10 route on the second PC.

    Any unforeseen issues in all that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jun 2015 #67

    Mooly said: View Post
    Thanks. The 'can I clean install' was really the opening question in all this... the way the licensing might work is an interesting discussion.



    Thinking of specifics (that apply to me ), what might happen in this case.


    Situation 1. My main PC runs a paid for W8.1. Lets say I upgrade, format and clean install. The license issue is handled in whatever way Microsoft decide. After doing all this I decide 10 isn't for me at the moment and I want to go back to 8.1

    I'm assuming in this the first case that there should be no issue. My 'reinstall' of 8.1 would simply be reinstating a disk image that was already licensed and so the original license would still work with no action needed.


    Situation 2. As above, however this time I decide I really like W10 and so I intend to now fully install my copy of W8.1 on a different PC and to use the main PC's original Dell OEM W7 disc to bring it up to W10 qualifying status. That would give me (legally) a W7 to W10 'OEM' upgrade and then a clean install on the main PC, and the option of either using 8.1 or going down the 8.1>10 route on the second PC.

    Any unforeseen issues in all that.
    Situation 1 :

    The only problem you may have is with the reinstallation of Windows 8.1, considering they have not yet told us how they are using the license keys. If they convert them to Win10 only, you will face an issue. Otherwise 8.1 is still supported until 2024? i beleive.

    Situation 2:

    So long as you install Windows 7 before the upgrade or reservation, then I would like to say you should have no issues. So long as the PC meets the requirements for Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,202
    Windows 10 IoT
       05 Jun 2015 #68

    Mystere said: View Post
    I misspoke. What I meant was that the upgrade would see the SLP key that was used to install the previous version of Windows and, combined with the SLIC table for that vendor, give you the equivalent activated version of Windows 10.

    If you are installing clean, then you would use the COA key when Installing Windows 10, or in WIndows 8, it would get the key from the BIOS. All major Windows 7 OEM hardware shipped with 2 sets of keys, the SLP key and the COA key. Either could be used for activation (either auto-activation or phone activation).




    I asked you before, what tool are you using that lists "Original Key" and "Installed Key"?
    And I told Showkey, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html It's in my other post that you quoted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,202
    Windows 10 IoT
       05 Jun 2015 #69

    Superfly said: View Post
    @Alpha don't be too concerned about keys... Gabe has already stated neither Windows 7 nor Windows 8 keys will be required.

    How GWX will validate underlying systems is all conjecture right now... it may well be enough to have a valid slic table (MSDM in Win8) on an activated system to read the qualifying edition (as far as OEM installs are concerned)

    Regarding ShowKeyPlus - I'm working on providing the Win7 edition (together with the original key) - it will be in the next release.
    It might seem like I'm getting wound up about keys, I'm not really. All I originally asked is if he had any info he could share that says Windows 10 will use Windows 7 and 8 keys to activate with. Then it snow balled a bit. I can see how Windows 10 could easily read and use Windows 8 embedded keys, that's easy. Windows 8 uses OA3.0. Windows 7 uses OA2.1 and the keys are a mess with that system. That's why they got rid of it with Windows 8. I can't see Microsoft going back to it again.

    My theory is Windows 8 keys will be read as part of the qualification process for the free upgrade, then a new Windows 10 key will be issued to be used on that PC for clean installs of 10. Same deal for Windows 7 except you may have to type in the code from the COA sticker, then you get a new Windows 10 key tied to that PC. It sounds like the key may actually be embedded in the ISO you get for that PC. Like you say though, all just a bunch of guesswork.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,202
    Windows 10 IoT
       05 Jun 2015 #70

    Superfly, is there a way to tell if a current install of Windows 10 TP is OEM or Retail? From say the Product ID shown in showkey?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Clean install question.
It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting...
Installation and Setup
Clean install
Hi All the info I have found on a clean install has been about the Insider Preview, when the official upgrade is available at the end of July, will I be able to do a clean install? Thanks Daniel
Installation and Setup
Clean install now?
My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my...
Installation and Setup
The Clean Install Question. Reading Between The Lines.
Windows 10 News
A closer look at Spartan's new reading mode and reading list
Read more: A closer look at Spartans new reading mode and reading list
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums