Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

  1. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile
       30 May 2015 #101

    Clean. I had installed it over Windows 7 but I developed a major problem when I installed a wifi driver and so opted to clean install 10074.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,723
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       30 May 2015 #102

    mccririck said: View Post
    Clean. I had installed it over Windows 7 but I developed a major problem when I installed a wifi driver and so opted to clean install 10074.
    OK, when you start the install, are you going all the way back to an empty hard drive? IOW, do you delete all partitions (Recovery, etc., Windows) and then format?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile
       30 May 2015 #103

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, when you start the install, are you going all the way back to an empty hard drive? IOW, do you delete all partitions (Recovery, etc., Windows) and then format?
    Yes. I deleted everything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,723
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       30 May 2015 #104

    mccririck said: View Post
    Yes. I deleted everything.
    But did you format the hard drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile
       30 May 2015 #105

    Wynona said: View Post
    But did you format the hard drive?
    I think I didnt the first time. The second time i have but there have been problems with the installation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,212
    Windows 10 IoT
       30 May 2015 #106

    I don't think it matters. I delete all partitions and just leave it blank and un partitioned. Then just click next. Windows creates the partitions it needs and formats them automatically. It's never been an issue for me. Even if you create a partition and format it, windows will prompt you that it may need to add partitions and redo it all anyway. If your system is UEFI it adds two more system partitions plus another hidden one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,723
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       30 May 2015 #107

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I don't think it matters. I delete all partitions and just leave it blank and un partitioned. Then just click next. Windows creates the partitions it needs and formats them automatically. It's never been an issue for me. Even if you create a partition and format it, windows will prompt you that it may need to add partitions and redo it all anyway. If your system is UEFI it adds two more system partitions plus another hidden one.
    Thanks, Alpha. I'm flummoxed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,212
    Windows 10 IoT
       30 May 2015 #108

    mccririck said: View Post
    I think I didnt the first time. The second time i have but there have been problems with the installation.
    Re download your install media, just in case you got a corrupted download.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,212
    Windows 10 IoT
       30 May 2015 #109

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thanks, Alpha. I'm flummoxed.
    Sometimes you could have a piece of hardware that Windows just doesn't like. The default driver just doesn't work correctly with it etc. Or an actual hardware issue, like a failing hard drive or bad RAM. A newer build may install just fine on the same hardware. It Microsoft would just update their ISO's already.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 1,956
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       30 May 2015 #110

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I don't think it matters. I delete all partitions and just leave it blank and un partitioned. Then just click next. Windows creates the partitions it needs and formats them automatically. It's never been an issue for me. Even if you create a partition and format it, windows will prompt you that it may need to add partitions and redo it all anyway. If your system is UEFI it adds two more system partitions plus another hidden one.
    I think it does matter when you install Windows using legacy MBR. If you format the drive first, Windows will not create the 350MB reserved partition and will silently install everything in C: drive. Without the reserved partition, you won't be able to use feature like bitlocker. If you leave it unallocated then Windows will create a 350MB partition. For UEFI installation, it won't matter.

    Bottom line, it is best to leave it unallocated for both MBR/UEFI installation and let Windows manage it.

    EDIT: BTW, Have you noticed that if you update from the previous build, Windows will create an extra 450MB Recovery partition after C: Drive ?
    Last edited by topgundcp; 30 May 2015 at 11:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?
I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit...
Installation and Setup
Solved After I got my Windows 10 upgrade how can I perform clean install ?
As the topic said :chuckle:
Installation and Setup
How to clean install
Hello Ladies and Gents, I just had a question. As a Windows 10 Insider, when we receive the free upgrade to the RTM, how then do I do a clean install? I thought we'd need to burn the iso to a DVD to do that. Thank you.
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Will upgrade from 9879 or clean install.
Hello, I am not able to use any public build after 9879. If I upgrade it installs reboots then install drivers reboots try's to boot then reverts. If I do a clean install it will install and reboot then asks for users preferences or slandered. ...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums