1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 1
    windows10
       20 Aug 2016 #1

    Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.


    I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free.
    My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it. The morning before the last day of the free download my computer reverted itself back to windows XP. I have no idea how it happened. It is asking me to activate my version of Wndows XP. I never had windows XP on that machine. It was purchased with Windows 7 professional.
    Had anyone else experience this ? If so what did you do.. I had not used that machine in a few weeks because its not my main computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 393
    10 pro 64 clean install
       20 Aug 2016 #2

    The simple solution would be to do a clean install of Windows 10 since you said you had installed prior to the last day of the free upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Aug 2016 #3

    SilkDragon said: View Post
    I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free.
    My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it. The morning before the last day of the free download my computer reverted itself back to windows XP. I have no idea how it happened. It is asking me to activate my version of Wndows XP. I never had windows XP on that machine. It was purchased with Windows 7 professional.
    Had anyone else experience this ? If so what did you do.. I had not used that machine in a few weeks because its not my main computer.
    This just isn't possible. MS doesn't support XP anymore, and there is no way to "revert" to an OS that was never installed in the first place (Nevermind the fact that there is no upgrade path from XP to 10).

    If XP is truly installed, that means someone in your home did it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2016
    North Carolina
    Posts : 64
    Multiple systems on multiple computer
       20 Aug 2016 #4

    Mystere said: View Post
    This just isn't possible. MS doesn't support XP anymore, and there is no way to "revert" to an OS that was never installed in the first place (Nevermind the fact that there is no upgrade path from XP to 10).

    If XP is truly installed, that means someone in your home did it.
    I agree. Probably someone tries to mess with you and swapped your drive with a drive that contains the XP installation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 260
    Windows 7 (SP1)
       20 Aug 2016 #5

    SilkDragon said: View Post
    I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free.
    My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it. The morning before the last day of the free download my computer reverted itself back to windows XP. I have no idea how it happened. It is asking me to activate my version of Wndows XP. I never had windows XP on that machine. It was purchased with Windows 7 professional.
    Had anyone else experience this ? If so what did you do.. I had not used that machine in a few weeks because its not my main computer.
    Did you buy the computer second hand ? it may have had a hidden partition on with XP on it as the rescue partition ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Tablet with Windows 10 reverted to Apps Screen
I have a new tablet and all was well until I must've hit something and changed to the screen where all the apps are shown all over the display. I just want the app squares off of my screen. I've googled but I just get the stuff where they added...
General Support
Display langage reverted back
I bought a laptop Acer in Germany with Windows 10 (german language, of course). I've replaced the german language with the italian language, everything went smoothly and I perfectly used the laptop for some days. Unfortunately since a...
General Support
Reverted Back to Windows 7
Sadly I have reverted back to Windows 7 for the time being due to a number of issues i have faced with Windows 10. It is an amazing OS yes, but it is not stable yet in terms of performance. I shall upgrade back after Threshold 2 releases i.e in...
General Support
Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?
Hello, all. Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out that that was a Lenovo product called Pokki that was apparently designed to replace the missing...
General Support
I reverted to 8.1, next steps to try 10 upgrade again...
Alrighty, so I upgraded my brand new laptop to 10 on launch day...and for the next week I experienced numerous problems with the OS unfortunately. I was forced to revert back to 8.1, which has been behaving flawlessly. I would like to try the...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums