1.    29 Jul 2016 #1

    Upgrade failed


    Hi all,

    In an attempt to beat the deadline, I have been trying to update my laptop.

    The W10Update icon in the system now says that my laptop is not compatible ("Unfortunately this PC is not able to run Windows 10"), it invites me to click on the link to the compatibility report- which says that "You're good to go".

    For the record it is a 2010 Sony Vaio Z11- i7, 6Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD (RAID with more than 20Gb free), running Windows 7

    Out of desperation, I went to the direct MS link

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

    It downloaded and installed W10 and then eventually presented me with a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and said that it would find a solution and then automatically reboot. After an hour or so I got bored and just hit the power button.

    I then turned it back on, I was presented with the w10 splash screen and the spinning circle of dots, after about another 30 minutes, I grew bored again and did a long power button press, this time on reboot it reverted back to W7.

    I can only imagine that the primary problem is the fact that the laptop has both a NVIDA card and Intel graphics.

    From what I have read it is possible to upgrade this laptop via BIOS hacks and 3rd party (community based) NVIDA drivers.

    Time is a bit precious at the moment, and yes, I know that I should have tried to update before now, but, is the new (free) serial number likely to reside anywhere on my PC.? I'd like to make a note of it and then try to upgrade again in about 5 days., or is there another way of securing the free serial (perhaps via a virtual installation?

    Tnx
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 975
    Windows 8.1, 10
       29 Jul 2016 #2

    imaginarynumber said: View Post
    Time is a bit precious at the moment, and yes, I know that I should have tried to update before now, but, is the new (free) serial number likely to reside anywhere on my PC.? I'd like to make a note of it and then try to upgrade again in about 5 days., or is there another way of securing the free serial (perhaps via a virtual installation?
    No it won't be on your PC. The activation process logs details of your hardware (motherboard etc.) and stores it in a Microsoft server somewhere.

    Once it's activated successfully on a computer, then if at some future date someone installs Windows again on that computer, it 'phones home' to see if the hardware is recognised on the activation server, and activates accordingly. If the hardware has changed slightly it may also recognise it, but a new motherboard is seen as a more major change.

    Must admit I don't know how to get past the Vaio issue though... I've read that they're troublesome with Win10. Do you have a backup image of the disk? If so a clean install might be a possible way to go, either using this technique, or by entering your Windows 7 product key during the install process.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2016 #3

    DavidY said: View Post
    No it won't be on your PC. The activation process logs details of your hardware (motherboard etc.) and stores it in a Microsoft server somewhere.

    Once it's activated successfully on a computer, then if at some future date someone installs Windows again on that computer, it 'phones home' to see if the hardware is recognised on the activation server, and activates accordingly. If the hardware has changed slightly it may also recognise it, but a new motherboard is seen as a more major change.

    Must admit I don't know how to get past the Vaio issue though... I've read that they're troublesome with Win10. Do you have a backup image of the disk? If so a clean install might be a possible way to go, either using this technique, or by entering your Windows 7 product key during the install process.
    Thanks David, I appreciate your reply. I guess that I will put things on the back-burner for now and then when I have more spare time, look into the matter again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 975
    Windows 8.1, 10
       30 Jul 2016 #4

    imaginarynumber said: View Post
    Thanks David, I appreciate your reply. I guess that I will put things on the back-burner for now and then when I have more spare time, look into the matter again.
    The urgency is that the upgrade is no longer free after 11am UK time today. So if you don't get it to activate in the next 2 hours 45 mins (at time of writing) then you'd have to pay if you did want Windows 10. (Unless, when you first tried installing, it got as far as activating and 'phoning home' your hardware details to Microsoft, in which case you've plenty of time.)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jul 2016 #5

    DavidY said: View Post
    The urgency is that the upgrade is no longer free after 11am UK time today. So if you don't get it to activate in the next 2 hours 45 mins (at time of writing) then you'd have to pay if you did want Windows 10. (Unless, when you first tried installing, it got as far as activating and 'phoning home' your hardware details to Microsoft, in which case you've plenty of time.)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows
    Yep, unfortunately I have missed the free offer. My bad for leaving it until the 11th hour, and for believing the compatibility report :-(

    I have a friend that works for MS, so I guess that at some point I will ask him to buy me a copy (via the generous staff discount).

    Am just hoping that at some point soon the "Get Windows 10" icon will eff off, oh, and that WUAUSERV will now stop taking up 25% of my CPU cycles (presumably because it was so excited about pushing me into the arms of W10- at one stage I had to disable it in services.msc).

    It's not a biggie though, I like W7 and only wanted to upgrade to W10 because I am a W10 Mobile user.

    Once again, thanks for your advice and assistance..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Upgrade 7 to 10 failed
I waited for 2 hours and the monitor just stayed black and the only thing I could get on the screen was a message, "input signal out of range". Have tried 3 other monitors and I get the same message. I will go back to 7 and try again, but what...
Installation and Setup
My windows 10 failed to upgrade
I am now getting a new error. The error i am now getting is error C1420127 windows 10 now installs almost but towards the end it stops and says error and then when i go to look at it that is what the error is. Thanks for any help or tips
Installation and Setup
10 upgrade failed, clean installed 7 but now cant upgrade again.
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
Installation and Setup
Win 10 upgrade failed. How to prevent it from being tried again?
Aloha, I've got a couple of Win 8.1 machines where I discovered that the upgrade to Win 10 was attempted (and I did not ask for this) and failed. At this point I really don't want to install Win 10, I just want to prevent my machines from trying...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 upgrade failed
Hello, I've been trying to upgrade to Win10. Invariably, it restarts when it's at 75% (100% done installing features and drivers), says "your PC didn't start correctly", goes to "Auto Repair" then "Diagnosing" and leaves me no choice but to...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums