Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       26 Jul 2016 #21

    Hi.
    This all looks correct to me. I would just uncheck the box that says Save backup and schedules as an XML file....We're not saving the instructions, as this will not be a recurring backup.

    You should be able to navigate to your image target right from within the selection area in Macrium, to be sure you get it to the correct destination, by clicking on the three dots (circled in red):


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select-destination.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	92204
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 114
    win 7 pro x64 (upgrade from XP/Pro OEM)
       26 Jul 2016 #22

    I believe that the information below created by ZTreeWin tells me that I've made 2 successful images on G:

    Disk Volume: BackupDrive 7-26-16 14:11:18 Page 1
    Available space 1878837,665,792 bytes
    3 logged files using 118,903,576,864 bytes
    3 tagged files using 118,903,576,864 bytes

    Path: G:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-4184463267-209652737-2113205021-1001
    1 tagged files using 129 bytes

    7-25-16 6:45:33 129 .ash desktop .ini

    Path: G:\SystemDiskBackups
    1 tagged files using 59,451,909,607 bytes

    7-26-16 13:39:43 59451909607 .a.. 100EC656633555DB-00-00.mrimg

    Path: G:\SystemDiskBackups\Win7_0072516_Win10UpgradePrep
    1 tagged files using 59,451,667,128 bytes

    7-26-16 13:05:23 59451667128 .a.. 4B455E7727A8BA27-00-00.mrimg

    In the process I sorted out the BlacX access question. If I start the eSATA box after I've booted I need to Control Panel, then Device Manager, then expand Disk Drives and find the Toshiba and Right Click it and select "scan for hardware changes" and the drive will be found in Windows Explorer. I was told to do it again if I elect to stop the drive while Win7 is still running.

    I'm still not comfortable with the step where I enter the name of the backup. The first time I thought I put in a proper full path for the new file I wanted to create. I got 2 error messages but the backup ran anyway and named the saved file "4B455E7727A8BA27-00-00.mrimg" which must be a default name. I had not yet sorted out the XML file that is saved to allow return to the same 'definition.'

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MacriumReflect_NameBackupPathProblem.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	92240

    When I ran the second backup I got no error messages and the file called "100EC656633555DB-00-00.mrimg" was created.

    It is time to explore booting to the rescue disk so that I still have time to download the upgrade.

    thanks

    baumgrenze
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       26 Jul 2016 #23

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I believe that the information below created by ZTreeWin tells me that I've made 2 successful images on G:

    Disk Volume: BackupDrive 7-26-16 14:11:18 Page 1
    Available space 1878837,665,792 bytes
    3 logged files using 118,903,576,864 bytes
    3 tagged files using 118,903,576,864 bytes

    Path: G:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-4184463267-209652737-2113205021-1001
    1 tagged files using 129 bytes

    7-25-16 6:45:33 129 .ash desktop .ini

    Path: G:\SystemDiskBackups
    1 tagged files using 59,451,909,607 bytes

    7-26-16 13:39:43 59451909607 .a.. 100EC656633555DB-00-00.mrimg

    Path: G:\SystemDiskBackups\Win7_0072516_Win10UpgradePrep
    1 tagged files using 59,451,667,128 bytes

    7-26-16 13:05:23 59451667128 .a.. 4B455E7727A8BA27-00-00.mrimg
    Yes, it looks like you've got 2 images saved there.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    In the process I sorted out the BlacX access question. If I start the eSATA box after I've booted I need to Control Panel, then Device Manager, then expand Disk Drives and find the Toshiba and Right Click it and select "scan for hardware changes" and the drive will be found in Windows Explorer. I was told to do it again if I elect to stop the drive while Win7 is still running.
    Interesting. Can you "eject" the drive from Windows Explorer, or no? I would feel a little better myself if I could eject it before physically removing it while the OS is running....just to make sure it wasn't being written to at the moment I go to remove it.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I'm still not comfortable with the step where I enter the name of the backup. The first time I thought I put in a proper full path for the new file I wanted to create. I got 2 error messages but the backup ran anyway and named the saved file "4B455E7727A8BA27-00-00.mrimg" which must be a default name. I had not yet sorted out the XML file that is saved to allow return to the same 'definition.'
    You're not naming the backup, it's asking you to name the backup instructions - which we're not doing right now, because we're not making scheduled, recurring backups yet. So, that's why I said to uncheck the box where it says Save backup and schedules as an XML....

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MacriumReflect_NameBackupPathProblem.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	92240
    In the future, once you are upgraded to W10, we will setup regular, recurring, scheduled backups, of which that name will only be something like "weekly full HDD backup" or something else to recognize the instructions. That's all it is - the name of your instructions.


    baumgrenze said: View Post
    When I ran the second backup I got no error messages and the file called "100EC656633555DB-00-00.mrimg" was created.
    Good! Did it say "Image and verification completed in Xhrs X minutes"? That's what we wanted.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    It is time to explore booting to the rescue disk so that I still have time to download the upgrade.

    thanks

    baumgrenze
    Yes, okay - you can download the ISO to your desktop any time, so to have it ready.
    Tech Bench

    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 114
    win 7 pro x64 (upgrade from XP/Pro OEM)
       26 Jul 2016 #24

    I have the ISO downloading as I write. I trust I only need the 64 bit version?

    Macrium's last message (in a box) was "Image Completed Successfully in 00.17.51"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MacriumReflect_ImageCompletedScreen#2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	92252

    Is this where would it report "Image and verification completed in Xhrs X minutes"? If so, I managed to miss the radio check box for verification. Ugh...

    I will do one more image once I am done following your check list.

    Thanks for confirming my understanding of the XML file.

    I do not find the Toshiba in the menu that is accessed via the double chevron on the left end of my taskbar.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EjectableDevices_Win7.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	92253

    The 'ordinary HDD's' in this double bay are described as 'hot swappable' but I see your point about making sure there is no activity. There is an activity light on the device.

    The Rescue Disk worked fine and found both images.

    Your last instruction is:

    "Remove any 3rd-party anti-virus software, hard drive monitoring software, and Speccy if you have it."

    I've been using Avast Free for a long time. Does Remove mean 'formally uninstall?' I have CrystalDiskInfo (someone here recommended it.) I probably have the install exe file saved, so I could reinstall 6.1.14. I've seen some grousing about 'included gift software' where 'gift' can be taken in the German sense, toxic (or at least mildly so.) Is there a good list of popular 'hard drive monitoring software' you can point me to? I tried a quick search and decided I didn't want to go down that path. Is the risk that one of these might screw up the upgrade process?

    I discovered Belarc years ago when we had problems with my wife's PC. I like it.

    I've only used Ccleaner a few times, and some time ago. I will go get a current copy.

    Thanks again for your patient guidance and attention. You rock!

    baumgrenze
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 114
    win 7 pro x64 (upgrade from XP/Pro OEM)
       26 Jul 2016 #25

    I copied and pasted to Word your checklist. I even numbered the steps. I should have asked if the order is critical, e.g., these steps should be done in the order listed?

    10 Run Belarc Advisor and print out the system inventory it provides.
    11 Remove any 3rd-party anti-virus software, hard drive monitoring software, and Speccy if you have it.
    12 Run Ccleaner Free on the registry.

    thanks

    baumgrenze
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       26 Jul 2016 #26

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I have the ISO downloading as I write. I trust I only need the 64 bit version?
    Yes!
    baumgrenze said: View Post
    Macrium's last message (in a box) was "Image Completed Successfully in 00.17.51"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MacriumReflect_ImageCompletedScreen#2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	92252

    Is this where would it report "Image and verification completed in Xhrs X minutes"? If so, I managed to miss the radio check box for verification. Ugh...
    Yes, you must have missed the box to verify. It's okay - you can verify your existing images (or make a new one)



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verify-image.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	92258



    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I will do one more image once I am done following your check list.

    Thanks for confirming my understanding of the XML file.
    The check box for verifying is in the Advanced Options:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto-verify.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	92260


    No problem. I know it's a bit confusing at first, but you get used to it real quick.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I do not find the Toshiba in the menu that is accessed via the double chevron on the left end of my taskbar.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EjectableDevices_Win7.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	92253

    The 'ordinary HDD's' in this double bay are described as 'hot swappable' but I see your point about making sure there is no activity. There is an activity light on the device.
    I see - then you cannot "eject". But still, you want to make sure there is no activity when you disconnect the disk, yes.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    The Rescue Disk worked fine and found both images.
    Excellent!

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    Your last instruction is:

    "Remove any 3rd-party anti-virus software, hard drive monitoring software, and Speccy if you have it."

    I've been using Avast Free for a long time. Does Remove mean 'formally uninstall?' I have CrystalDiskInfo (someone here recommended it.) I probably have the install exe file saved, so I could reinstall 6.1.14. I've seen some grousing about 'included gift software' where 'gift' can be taken in the German sense, toxic (or at least mildly so.) Is there a good list of popular 'hard drive monitoring software' you can point me to? I tried a quick search and decided I didn't want to go down that path. Is the risk that one of these might screw up the upgrade process?
    I've upgraded one W7 system with Crystal Disk Info on it and it had no problem, so you can leave that on. But Avast has to go for now. No 3rd-party AV - it's just asking for trouble.

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I discovered Belarc years ago when we had problems with my wife's PC. I like it.

    I've only used Ccleaner a few times, and some time ago. I will go get a current copy.

    Thanks again for your patient guidance and attention. You rock!

    baumgrenze
    No problem!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       26 Jul 2016 #27

    Let's just recap here to I am thinking straight:


    • DONE (pending verification)-Install Macrium Reflect Free and make an IMAGE of your entire hard drive as it is now, on an external drive. Make sure you have the verify option selected, so you know you have a good image. Be sure to create the rescue media it needs to boot your system from, should you have to restore the image. Then, make sure you can boot the system from the rescue media. Restoring an image will put everything back exactly as it was, including all programs and data.
    • Is this done? Go to your OEM's web support site and download all updates relevant to your system, especially BIOS and chipset updates.
    • Use ShowkeyPlus to grab your current W7 keycode and write it down. Note: This does not work for an OEM:SLP W7 key. You must use the code on the COA sticker if it is an OEM Installed W7.
    • Is this done? Remove O2000 and install LibreOffice.
    • Is this done? Did you get "No integrity violations found? Open an Admin Command Prompt and run sfc /scannow
    • Is this done? Install 7-zip
    • Is this done? Install Driver Magician Lite (free) - to back up your current drivers (in red) to an external hard drive.
    • Is this done? Scan your system with Malwarebytes Antimalware Free to verify it is clean.
    • Is this done? Update all software to current revs and delete any software that is not active/updated regularly or compatible with W10.
    • Is this done? Please save the file to your Toshiba drive. Run Belarc Advisor and print out the system inventory it provides.
    • Crystal Disk Info will be OK to leave on; I can confirm it lives through the upgrade without issue. Remove any 3rd-party anti-virus software, hard drive monitoring software, and Speccy if you have it.
    • Is this done? Run Ccleaner Free on the registry.
    • DONE-Download the W10 ISO from MS TechBench
    • Disconnect everything from the computer except, keyboard mouse and monitor. Do not have any drives besides the OS drive connected during the upgrade.


    Yes, I pretty much have this in the order it should be done.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 114
    win 7 pro x64 (upgrade from XP/Pro OEM)
       27 Jul 2016 #28

    Oh, dear!

    I ran one more Macrium backup, this time with the verify option on and got this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MmacriumReflect#3Failed.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	92281

    I found the history file in ZTreeWin and opened it. I cannot see what went wrong. Perhaps you can?

    Image ID - 7E971C1709CF97C8

    Imaging Summary

    Auto Verify: Y
    Maximum File Size: Automatic
    Compression: Medium
    Password: N
    Intelligent Copy: Y
    Power Saving: N
    Email On Success: N
    Email On Failure: N
    Total Selected: 90.40 GB

    Destination:
    Backup Type: Full
    File Name: G:\SystemDiskBackups\7E971C1709CF97C8-00-00.mrimg

    Operation 1 of 2
    Hard Disk: 2
    Drive Letter: N/A
    File System: NTFS
    Label: System Reserved
    Size: 99.2 MB
    Free: 66.2 MB
    Used: 33.0 MB

    Operation 2 of 2
    Hard Disk: 2
    Drive Letter: C
    File System: NTFS
    Label:
    Size: 119.14 GB
    Free: 28.78 GB
    Used: 90.36 GB

    Starting Image - Tuesday, July 26, 2016 22:04:38
    Initializing
    Destination Drive: BackupDrive (G - Free Space 1.71 TB
    Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB
    Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
    Volume Snapshots Created
    Analyzing file system on volume
    Analyzing file system on volume C:

    Saving Partition - System Reserved
    Reading File System Bitmap
    Saving Partition

    Saving Partition - (C
    Reading File System Bitmap
    Saving Partition
    Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/JOHNBA~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG] Ô

    I/O Performance: Read 1.3 Gb/s - Write 87.6 Mb/s

    Macrium Reflect Free Edition for non-commercial use v6.1.1366 - 35-WN2D-3PZ6-GPZW-A2HC-KBSY-6X9R62H

    I might as well ask about this, too. Here's the stats from ZTreeWin on the Win10 ISO download:

    Disk Volume: New 1 Tb WD Black 7-26-16 18:00:34 Page 1
    Available space 612,704,174,080 bytes
    2,390 logged files using 36,841,467,654 bytes
    1 tagged files using 4,458,960,896 bytes

    Path: D:\My Documents\DownloadsTempMD
    1 tagged files using 4,458,960,896 bytes

    7-26-16 17:22:44 4458960,896 .a.. Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso


    7-26-16 ` 17:22:44 4458960,896 .a.. Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso

    Does the file size of 4,458,960,896 bytes sound right?

    It is time for bed.

    thanks again,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       27 Jul 2016 #29

    baumgrenze said: View Post
    Oh, dear!

    I ran one more Macrium backup, this time with the verify option on and got this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MmacriumReflect#3Failed.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	92281
    Hmmm....I don't know. We need to have a look at the log; post it here, and we'll see if we can figure out what went wrong.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macrium-log.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	92282



    baumgrenze said: View Post
    I might as well ask about this, too. Here's the stats from ZTreeWin on the Win10 ISO download:

    Disk Volume: New 1 Tb WD Black 7-26-16 18:00:34 Page 1
    Available space 612,704,174,080 bytes
    2,390 logged files using 36,841,467,654 bytes
    1 tagged files using 4,458,960,896 bytes

    Path: D:\My Documents\DownloadsTempMD
    1 tagged files using 4,458,960,896 bytes

    7-26-16 17:22:44 4458960,896 .a.. Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso


    7-26-16 ` 17:22:44 4458960,896 .a.. Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso

    Does the file size of 4,458,960,896 bytes sound right?

    It is time for bed.

    thanks again,
    Yes, that sounds about right. See you tomorrow.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 114
    win 7 pro x64 (upgrade from XP/Pro OEM)
       27 Jul 2016 #30

    Here is the log. I confused the 'History' with the 'VSS Log'

    (Gathering writer metadata...)
    (Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
    Initialize writer metadata ...
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get exclude files
    - Enumerate components
    - Get file list descriptors
    - Get database descriptors
    - Get log descriptors
    Discover directly excluded components ...
    - Excluding writer '' since it has no selected components for restore.
    - Excluding writer '' since it has no selected components for restore.
    - Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
    - Excluding writer 'BITS Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
    - Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
    Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
    Discover all excluded components ...
    Discover excluded writers ...
    Discover explicitly included components ...
    Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
    Select explicitly included components ...
    * Writer 'Task Scheduler Writer':
    - Add component \TasksStore
    * Writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer':
    - Add component \WriterMetadataStore
    * Writer 'Performance Counters Writer':
    - Add component \PerformanceCounters
    * Writer 'Registry Writer':
    - Add component \Registry
    * Writer 'WMI Writer':
    - Add component \WMI
    * Writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer':
    - Add component \COM+ REGDB
    Creating shadow set {18afb34c-6eab-4aa8-874d-c37b1654ae59} ...
    - Adding volume \\?\Volume{dde490fc-d637-11e3-8adf-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\] to the shadow set...
    Preparing for backup ...
    (Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
    (Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
    Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
    (Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
    (Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
    Shadow copy set succesfully created.
    Saving the backup components document ...

    List of created shadow copies:


    Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {18afb34c-6eab-4aa8-874d-c37b1654ae59} ...

    * SNAPSHOT ID = {c9295ed8-861b-4125-81b1-b1a9c94ceefe} ...
    - Shadow copy Set: {18afb34c-6eab-4aa8-874d-c37b1654ae59}
    - Original count of shadow copies = 1
    - Original Volume name: \\?\Volume{dde490fc-d637-11e3-8adf-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\]
    - Creation Time: 7/26/16 10:04:51 PM
    - Shadow copy device name: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5
    - Originating machine: JohnBaum-PC
    - Service machine: JohnBaum-PC
    - Not Exposed
    - Provider id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
    - Attributes: Auto_Release Differential

    I hope you find the problem when you see it.

    thanks

    baumgrenze
    Last edited by baumgrenze; 27 Jul 2016 at 11:12. Reason: clarification
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
News: Eugene Kaspersky is concerned...
A Russian Cybersleuth Battles the ‘Dark Ages’ of the Internet by NEIL MacFARQUHAR JUNE 10, 2016 Source
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved Concerned about Atom
Recently, I was looking for good free text editors, and I came across Atom. After deciding that I preferred the first one I found, I uninstalled Atom. I only had one account on the computer at the time, but after uninstalling Atom, I created a...
Software and Apps
Extra Partition
I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? 54242 The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got...
Drivers and Hardware
Cautious 72yo Newbie
My first post; As yet I have not installed Win10 pro 64bit. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit. Firstly I am concerned about my ability to get to understand how the OS functions in regard to allowing the use of non MS programs. My second concern is,...
General Support
Solved Extra storage
I want to add extra storage to my Surface Pro 3. I have 128gb on my HDD and would like to add at least another 64gb. Would I be better with an SD card or Flash Drive? RogerB
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums