WIN 10 Installation Issues
I have a DELL Inspiron 15, 3542 Series, running Window 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, that I am trying to upgrade to WIN 10. I have a 500 GB HD with 318 GB of free space. I have failed to do so on about 6 or 7 or 8 attempts—I’ve lost track.
· I had MS Support on line for about 2 hours (Case #1347424250)--no success.
· I have tried the ‘normal’ method, responding to the WIN 10 prompt—no success.
· I have disabled MS Security Essentials—no success.
· I have tried a ‘clean reboot’ installation—no success.
· I have removed CC Cleaner—no success.
· I have downloaded all of the required s/w onto an 8 GB thumb drive (on another of my 3 pcs) and tried that method—no success.
· I ran MS’s Mr. Fixit. I ran CHKDSK. I defragged my HD.
· I have updated my drivers from the DELL website—no success.
All with no success. The process goes so far and I always get the same error message:
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation.”
I have looked all over the internet and seen this problem referred to many times, but have yet to find a workaround that handles this problem (whatever it is). Should I just give up and continue to run WIN 7 until this pc dies?
July 21, 2016