1.    22 Jul 2016 #1

    Does free upgrade to 10 from 8.1 offer Custom: Install Windows only.


    I have already once done a free upgrade to W.10 & then decided to go back to W.8.1. I know I now can go back up to W.10 any time I want, even after the July 29, deadline. (I believe!). However, I want to do a dual boot for both 8.1 & 10. Does a normal upgrade contain the box whereby you can select the 2nd choice, 'Custom: Install Windows only' which will enable me to do a dual boot. I didn't notice it when I upgraded it before. Or do I have to use a bootable USB drive to get this feature. Thanks for any replies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,075
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Jul 2016 #2

    You'll need two licenses to run both OSes, but the install process is no different than Windows 7 or 8/8/1. You have the same options for partitioning and choosing where to install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,890
    Windows 10 Pro
       22 Jul 2016 #3

    You have to have a bootable installation source to clean install Windows 10 to an empty partition after purchasing your second license for Windows to legally dual boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    23 Jul 2016 #4

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You have to have a bootable installation source to clean install Windows 10 to an empty partition after purchasing your second license for Windows to legally dual boot.
    Thanks guys! I have already made a 'bootable installation source' in the form of a USB flash drive to clean install W.10, although I haven't been able to get it to install anything yet. I don't see why I have to purchase anything to dual boot! I already have a licence for 8.1 & I've a bootable media for 10. The reason I made the USB flash drive is because I thought this was the only way to get the 'Custom: Install Windows only' option which allows you to install to a partition. I've already made a partition as 'G:' drive. At the moment I wondering if I have to go into the BIOS to change the order. However, when I tried to enter before by keying: (F2)(Fn)+2 when the manufacturer's name/logo appears, nothing happened. This is an Acer Aspire V5-571P laptop built in Sept. 2012. In 'File Explorer' of the 9 items in the flash drive's folder one is 'setup.exe', when I selected this on my Lenovo Ultrabook it installed W.10, but I don't remember seeing the 'Custom' option!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10
       23 Jul 2016 #5

    robinpe said: View Post
    I don't see why I have to purchase anything to dual boot!
    There is no need to buy another license.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    23 Jul 2016 #6

    hotkey said: View Post
    There is no need to buy another license.
    Thanks for that hotkey, I didn't think so. I have now repositioned the BIOS to USB-HDD & have restarted my laptop, unfortunately it's in the process of updating 118 updates. I haven't used this Acer laptop for about 4 months. I'll update info as it happens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,890
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Jul 2016 #7

    hotkey said: View Post
    There is no need to buy another license.
    Yes, there is. 1 license for Windows = 1 install of Windows. The OP wants to install 2 copies of Windows from a single license which violates the EULA, and it violates the forum rules here to encourage people to violate the EULA.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jul 2016 #8

    robinpe said: View Post
    Thanks guys! I have already made a 'bootable installation source' in the form of a USB flash drive to clean install W.10, although I haven't been able to get it to install anything yet. I don't see why I have to purchase anything to dual boot! I already have a licence for 8.1 & I've a bootable media for 10. The reason I made the USB flash drive is because I thought this was the only way to get the 'Custom: Install Windows only' option which allows you to install to a partition. I've already made a partition as 'G:' drive. At the moment I wondering if I have to go into the BIOS to change the order. However, when I tried to enter before by keying: (F2)(Fn)+2 when the manufacturer's name/logo appears, nothing happened. This is an Acer Aspire V5-571P laptop built in Sept. 2012. In 'File Explorer' of the 9 items in the flash drive's folder one is 'setup.exe', when I selected this on my Lenovo Ultrabook it installed W.10, but I don't remember seeing the 'Custom' option!
    Hi again guys.
    Well, I decided to take a chance & activate W.10 from the 'setup.exe' file & the result was as I suspected, there is no allowance to select the 2 options which would let me create a partition & before I could stop it I had to completely load W.10 again. When it was finished I immediately went back to W.8.1 again. So I've got to figure out why so far I'm unable to boot from the USB I made.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft: Get a same-day upgrade to Windows 10 or free laptop offer
Source: If Microsoft don't upgrade your device by close of business, you'll get a free Dell Inspiron 15
Windows 10 News
New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3173040
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Devices Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon
Source: Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices - Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon | Windows Experience Blog How to Upgrade to Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Windows Insiders and the Free Upgrade Offer.
Should I roll back to 8.1 so I can reserve my free copy or will insiders receive the invite icon as well?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums