Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       10 May 2015 #11

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The answer to my next question is probably on this forum somewhere, but I feel lazy today and don't feel like rummaging thru it all. When we upgrade to 10 from 7 or 8.1, installed at the time or not, will we lose the product key for previous version? In other words, once upgraded to 10, is the old version product key still valid?
    MS hasn't really said anything official about that topic, as far as I know. But I suspect that when you do upgrade you should get a new key for Win10 and the other key you turn in will be deactivated some how. Again.. total speculation on my part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,946
    All kinds
       10 May 2015 #12

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The answer to my next question is probably on this forum somewhere, but I feel lazy today and don't feel like rummaging thru it all. When we upgrade to 10 from 7 or 8.1, installed at the time or not, will we lose the product key for previous version? In other words, once upgraded to 10, is the old version product key still valid?
    It wouldn't make sense for MS to allow that but returning to W7 or 8.1 is possible even now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,370
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       10 May 2015 #13

    CountMike said: View Post
    It wouldn't make sense for MS to allow that but returning to W7 or 8.1 is possible even now.
    I figured as much. Really just thinking of a really bad worst-case scenario where the upgrade went horribly wrong and you were faced with clean install of previous version, or nothing. Wonder what the fallback would be for that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,946
    All kinds
       10 May 2015 #14

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    I figured as much. Really just thinking of a really bad worst-case scenario where the upgrade went horribly wrong and you were faced with clean install of previous version, or nothing. Wonder what the fallback would be for that!
    Here's one example: "!$#"%&/(?*$##"!~"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,370
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       10 May 2015 #15

    CountMike said: View Post
    Here's one example: "!$#"%&/(?*$##"!~"
    Even Google can translate that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 306
    Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
       10 May 2015 #16

    I am happy with Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and it is almost time to do my annual spring cleaning on my main computer, a clean install. Should I install 10 now rather than wasting a lot of time installing 8.1? I think I already know the answer, backup and do it, just want some confirmation that Microsoft won't force me to do another clean install when Windows 10 is released.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,946
    All kinds
       10 May 2015 #17

    alkaufmann said: View Post
    I am happy with Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and it is almost time to do my annual spring cleaning on my main computer, a clean install. Should I install 10 now rather than wasting a lot of time installing 8.1? I think I already know the answer, backup and do it, just want some confirmation that Microsoft won't force me to do another clean install when Windows 10 is released.
    I'm afraid that even MS didn't come out clean on weather even RC or RTM will be available to upgrade to from TP so it's stil a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't". I, myself, keep one of each in dual boot on separate disks. One of this days MS will decide for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 306
    Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
       10 May 2015 #18

    CountMike said: View Post
    I'm afraid that even MS didn't come out clean on weather even RC or RTM will be available to upgrade to from TP so it's stil a case of "damned if you do and damned if you don't". I, myself, keep one of each in dual boot on separate disks. One of this days MS will decide for me.
    Thanks, that is about what I thought too. I decided to clone my current system to a removable hard drive and then "upgrade" to Windows 10. I will wait for the clean install until Windows 10 is released. I want to avoid being damned to do a clean install twice.

    Just finished the upgrade and it went pretty smooth. I like how the installer checked my system and told me I had nothing to worry about. First thing I needed to do was get a beta Windows 10 driver from Nvidia. A few other minor things I needed to do, but was sure a Hell of a lot faster than a clean install.
    Last edited by alkaufmann; 10 May 2015 at 16:16. Reason: Additional Info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
General Support
Windows 10 Upgrade
I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on a test laptop a while back. Being the impatient person I am, and since I am in the insiders program, I would like to take advantage of it and get Windows 10 installed on my main PC early. If I download the...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 upgrade
Hello , i'd like to ask how WE who are actually running windows 10 insider preview we will get our free copy. I mean i installed my windows 10 copy on top of my genuine windows 7 home edition , will be needed to take further actions to have it for...
General Support
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Will you upgrade to Windows 9
Thought it would be interesting to see how many know whether they will upgrading to the final version of Windows 9 when it's released Then perhaps have a similar post at the end of the year after the beta has been used to see if people have...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums