Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 17.3 Mate
       05 Jul 2016 #21

    ianmozzy said: View Post
    This is getting silly. I do not have the windows 7 EULA in front of me. I am not trying to encourage piracy. All I am doing is trying to find out how to upgrade my computer so I have valid licences. ... As far as I am aware I have legal software.
    I'm in more or less a similar situation, except that I want to have both W7 and W10 installed on a big tower which also has two Linux distros installed alongside W7.

    I've already upgraded W7 to W10 on a netbook, and the process destroyed the Linux partition. I don't want to risk that happening on the tower, so I'm going to disconnect the SSD and all the HDDs except one for a clean W10 install from ISO, and then reconnect the drives and repair Grub multiboot (which Windows always destroys).

    That means I'll have two Windows versions installed with the same product key. Is it possible to deactivate one of them and use the other without uninstalling?

    (I don't know much about Windows.)

    I would like to buy windows 7 professional retail but cannot find a genuine one anywhere.
    I can tell you where I got mine, but I'm not sure if that's allowed on this board.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,879
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Jul 2016 #22

    Weyland said: View Post
    That means I'll have two Windows versions installed with the same product key. Is it possible to deactivate one of them and use the other without uninstalling?
    Would you end up with two Windows with the same product key because you would use the Windows 7 product key to activate the Windows 10 with? If you are going to deactivate one install of Windows, why would you not remove it completely?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 17.3 Mate
       05 Jul 2016 #23

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Would you end up with two Windows with the same product key because you would use the Windows 7 product key to activate the Windows 10 with? If you are going to deactivate one install of Windows, why would you not remove it completely?
    Yes.

    Two reasons:

    1. I want to see if I prefer W10 to W7 before getting rid of W7.

    2. I'm afraid to upgrade the existing W7 because doing that destroyed the Linux partition on a netbook I updated. Once bitten, twice shy. W7 is on the same HDD as a Linux distro; I'm planning to put W10 on an empty HDD.

    If having both active on the same machine is not allowed, can one be deactivated (and later reactivated if necessary)?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,879
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Jul 2016 #24

    Weyland said: View Post
    Yes.
    Two reasons:
    1. I want to see if I prefer W10 to W7 before getting rid of W7.
    2. I'm afraid to upgrade the existing W7 because doing that destroyed the Linux partition on a netbook I updated. Once bitten, twice shy. W7 is on the same HDD as a Linux distro; I'm planning to put W10 on an empty HDD.
    If having both active on the same machine is not allowed, can one be deactivated (and later reactivated if necessary)?
    Makes sense and is reasonable. The 100% legal way to do it would be to install an imaging program like Macrium Reflect Free, save a backup image of the partition that the Windows 7 is on, then either reformat or delete that partition. If you wanted to go back to Windows 7, then you would reformat or delete the Windows 10 partition and restore the Windows 7 partition.

    Another way, which would be impractical for you at the moment because you have Linux and Windows 7 on the same hard drive, would be to have each version of Windows on swappable hard drives and have only one installed at a time. I've got a cheap hard drive docking rack in a 5.25" drive bay in my desktop that makes swapping hard drives/SSDs easy. But since mine is cheap, it is only SATA II so a little bit slower.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 17.3 Mate
       05 Jul 2016 #25

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Makes sense and is reasonable. The 100% legal way to do it would be to install an imaging program like Macrium Reflect Free, save a backup image of the partition that the Windows 7 is on, then either reformat or delete that partition. If you wanted to go back to Windows 7, then you would reformat or delete the Windows 10 partition and restore the Windows 7 partition.

    Another way, which would be impractical for you at the moment because you have Linux and Windows 7 on the same hard drive, would be to have each version of Windows on swappable hard drives and have only one installed at a time. I've got a cheap hard drive docking rack in a 5.25" drive bay in my desktop that makes swapping hard drives/SSDs easy. But since mine is cheap, it is only SATA II so a little bit slower.
    Thank you very much. I like the idea of the swappable drives, which I shall be looking into.

    I wonder -- if I just go ahead and clean-install W10 on an empty HDD, at what point is Microsoft likely to react, and what would happen? I dare say that MS gets informed as soon as I connect to the web during or after the installation.

    Would I in fact be able to use the W7 key to do a clean W10 ISO install without deactivating W7 first? Would MS disable my licence or just warn me? It's definitely a legal retail copy of W7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,879
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Jul 2016 #26

    If you were to remove the Windows 7 hard drive, and install Windows 10 on a clean hard drive and use the Windows 7 product key to activate it, nothing happens to the Windows 7 product key or previous installation. You could then remove the Windows 10 hard drive, and run the Windows 7 hard drive just like nothing had happened to it. Evidenced by the very last link on this webpage:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options
    Go back to your previous version of Windows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 17.3 Mate
       05 Jul 2016 #27

    2016-07-06 15:33 (my son's birthday)

    OK. The decision was taken out of my hands. W7 said it had installed 209 updates, and then never finished configuring them. At Stage 5. Left it overnight, and it was still at Stage 5, whatever that is.

    So I clean-installed W10 from ISO on an empty HDD, repaired the Grub menu, and all is well so far.

    I think W7 committed suicide when it heard that I had a) made a W10 ISO disc, and b) had consulted this fine forum.

    ~

    Next task: Delete all traces of W7, and install Linux Mint 18 Mate (Sarah).
    Last edited by Weyland; 06 Jul 2016 at 09:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 115
    Windows 7 64 Pro
       05 Jul 2016 #28

    Chezler said: View Post
    Hey there ianmozzy,
    Just wanted to pop in here after looking at your listed system setup. I don't know how you use your computer, but a word of caution:
    If you do any banking, purchasing, or anything else where you give your personal information online, Windows Defender is not enough.
    It started out life as "Big AS" which was for years the best antispyware program out there. Microsoft bought it and turned it into Windows Defender. Later they added a basic antivirus to it. On MS website, they even call it BASIC. It is so you can get your machine up and running, updated, and a proper Internet Security program installed.
    I have used; Kaspersky (for the last 4 years, and my fav), Bit Defender (another top rated fav), AVAST, ESET NOD32, F-Secure, AVG, Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee. I hate Mcafee and would never recommend it to anyone. I listed them in the order of MY preference. Others will have their favorites.
    The main thing, is to get a good Internet Security program and not just an antivirus program. ( Plus Malware protection.)
    Since 1996 I have only been bitten by one virus, and I go a lot of places I shouldn't and do things I shouldn't. Nothing illegal, just high-risk surfing, But I know how to protect myself. Most people don't.
    +1 to everything Chezler said, except maybe for his preference order for vendors.

    A lot of threats today are at the browser level, and AV alone can't stop those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10
I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then installed that image on the second hard drive (F). I unplugged the first hard drive, (C) and booted into...
Installation and Setup
Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7
When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with...
Installation and Setup
Solved Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot
I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates...
Installation and Setup
How to dual boot Windows 10 and Mac OSX
I want to dual boot my PC which has a pre installed windows 10 with mac OSX. I have only one HDD. I have searched many forums and sites but was not able to find any suitable help. Please help me out.
Installation and Setup
Solved No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)
Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive and Windows 10 on my new drive (the latter being an SSD one). After installing Windows 10, I got a...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums