Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,589
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       05 Jun 2016 #11

    @Cerberus - agree, it's built in, as I said. Have you seen some of the difficulties people have found themselves in after using it?

    My personal view: it's easier and safer to simply create your own folders on a separate disk/partition and use those. They can be added to the libraries if desired. Also avoids all the folders programs installed put in Documents, Videos etc.

    I have moved my Desktop and Favorites elsewhere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,446
    Windows10
       06 Jun 2016 #12

    dalchina said: View Post
    @Cerberus - agree, it's built in, as I said. Have you seen some of the difficulties people have found themselves in after using it?

    My personal view: it's easier and safer to simply create your own folders on a separate disk/partition and use those. They can be added to the libraries if desired. Also avoids all the folders programs installed put in Documents, Videos etc.

    I have moved my Desktop and Favorites elsewhere.
    Yeah totally agree for sure, but regrettably many users just do not understand why (or even how) to do even basic stuff like that, and still end up using default user directories. We just forget sometimes that the average user knowledge is just not great :-(.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 115
    Windows 7 64 Pro
       06 Jun 2016 #13

    cereberus said: View Post
    Yeah totally agree for sure, but regrettably many users just do not understand why (or even how) to do even basic stuff like that, and still end up using default user directories. We just forget sometimes that the average user knowledge is just not great :-(.
    Plus, if you keep all your data on a separate partition, when (not if) you need to reload Windows, there are no concerns about backups. As long as you don't blow off all partitions on the drive as part of a clean install.

    I've been doing that for like 10+ years on all the systems in my house, and that has saved me what would have been untold hours of data-recovery grief.

    x509
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       06 Jun 2016 #14

    The real answer is sort of .. on a Legacy boot, you can initialize the drive as GPT and you can dism install Windows
    BUT... you lose recovery (and possibly more things) - the hidden/backup MBR in GPT drives isn't the same as a true MBR.

    I suggest using an extended partition and logical drives on a Legacy boot system.
    3 Primary parts, one Extended part(with as many logical drives as you deem needed).

    I'd have to see your Disk Management to advise further.

    Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)


    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:


    Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

    Option 2: Use Disk Management in the x-Menu (right click the Windows logo, select Disk Management)
    Select View > Bottom > Disk list
    Maximize the window and grab the screen shot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,887
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Jun 2016 #15

    Slartybart said: View Post
    The real answer is sort of .. on a Legacy boot, you can initialize the drive as GPT and you can dism install Windows
    BUT... you lose recovery (and possibly more things) - the hidden/backup MBR in GPT drives isn't the same as a true MBR.
    If I try to boot from a GPT disk on my legacy BIOS computer, all I get is a flashing underline cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       06 Jun 2016 #16

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    If I try to boot from a GPT disk on my legacy BIOS computer, all I get is a flashing underline cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.....
    Yeah, I didn't say it was easy or recommended

    Use at your own risk: Booting Windows 7 from a GPT Disk Using BIOS (non-UEFI)

    There are lots of other ways - all non-standard Windows and aren't worth the effort.

    Using a SD card or Thumbdrive for the boot at least preserves some Windowness.
    I used a SD card to boot but abandoned the project - but it was fun testing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Clean Install on ROG: Error 0x8007025D (cannot install required files)
Hey guys! I have a new ASUS ROG G751JT-DH72 laptop, and I have been trying to install Windows 10 and Ubuntu on it. It came with Windows 8.1, so I upgraded to 10, then did a clean install of 10. Version was Home 64 bit. That went reasonably...
Installation and Setup
Solved Removal of storage HDD required for clean install of Windows 10
My present Windows 7 computer has the C: Drive (OS) and two additional storage drives, D & E. When getting reading to do a clean install of Windows 10, is it necessary to electrically remove the storage drives in case of any conflicts, if any,...
Installation and Setup
Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick?
I bought a new SSD drive and used it to replace my old slow HDD in my laptop. I have just successfully installed windows 10 on it. During the step shown in the picture below, I clicked on "New" 50340 Which brought me to this step 50337 From...
Installation and Setup
Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim
I have Windows 10 media on a flash drive,and I was going to load it onto my other laptop that had no OS on it. I got to a screen that had said "Setup is Starting". Then, a box popped up saying," Windows cannot open the required file...
Installation and Setup
Windows cannot install required files.
I have a Acer Aspire which is bought 5 years back.It was running windows 7 ultimate x64 and has 2 gb ram and 500 gb hdd and intel pentium.Three monts back,there was an unexpected shutdown and when started it again,it shows an error and says that ...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums