Windows 10: Partition problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    06 Apr 2016 #1

    Partition problem


    hi;

    I purchased a used laptop with win 7 installed on a 300Gb hdd.

    I downloaded the win10 installation program and successfully installed 10.

    I tried repartitioning the hdd and foolishly deleted some necessary partitions. The installation media fixed it.

    Now the hdd has a large extended partition that I can't get rid of because 10 says there isn't enough space left to do it.

    Must I start over with a clean install and if so, will 10 remember the 7 license? My intent was to dual boot XP, linux and 10 but linux says I have NO partitions.

    Roger
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    06 Apr 2016 #2

    Hi, don't know why Win 10 won't let you in this case, but if you want to delete it try (e.g)
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

    from outside Windows. Always pays to have a bootable partition manager handy.

    Once Win 10 has been installed it can be reinstalled on the same hardware - basically the MBO. E.g. you can swap the disk with impunity.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    06 Apr 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, don't know why Win 10 won't let you in this case, but if you want to delete it try (e.g)
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

    from outside Windows. Always pays to have a bootable partition manager handy.

    Once Win 10 has been installed it can be reinstalled on the same hardware - basically the MBO. E.g. you can swap the disk with impunity.
    Thanks, I'll try it.

    I use Parted Magic but it can't see the 10 partitions at all.

    Roger
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. Computer Chicken's Avatar
    Posts : 661
    Windows 10 1607 Pro x64 (Anniversary Update)
       06 Apr 2016 #4

    Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? Because only Pro allows you to do that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    06 Apr 2016 #5

    Computer Chicken said: View Post
    Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? Because only Pro allows you to do that.
    Don't know, came installed on a used laptop. Now win7 is gone so I can't start over.

    Guess I'm stuck with win10.

    Why can I shrink a partition but not expand it?

    Roger
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    06 Apr 2016 #6

    If you use a 3rd party partition manager, you will find it a lot easier to use.

    Some operations require to be done either on via a restart, or via the partition manager's boot medium.

    Had you created a disk image of your laptop as it was when you bought it you could have restored that and had Win 7 back any time you wanted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       06 Apr 2016 #7

    Computer Chicken said: View Post
    Do you have Windows 10 Home or Pro? Because only Pro allows you to do that.
    Incorrect. Home versus Pro - same capability in that regard.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    06 Apr 2016 #8

    dalchina said: View Post
    If you use a 3rd party partition manager, you will find it a lot easier to use.

    Some operations require to be done either on via a restart, or via the partition manager's boot medium.

    Had you created a disk image of your laptop as it was when you bought it you could have restored that and had Win 7 back any time you wanted.

    Granted but that's like backup; I always think of it after I need it.

    Win10 says it will restore the previous OS but it was in one of the partitions I deleted to make room for other versions

    Roger
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    06 Apr 2016 #9

    If you post a screenshot of disk management, we can help more:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    06 Apr 2016 #10

    Rogerh said: View Post
    Granted but that's like backup; I always think of it after I need it.

    Win10 says it will restore the previous OS but it was in one of the partitions I deleted to make room for other versions

    Roger
    If you have not overwritten the space used by that partition it can be recovered. But I guess you have.

    Not having a 3rd party partition manager to date doesn't stop you getting one now..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello everyone, This is my very first post to this forum, so please don't bite my head off if my question has been answered already or if it's in the wrong section. :o So, I've had this 1Tb HDD lying around unused, so I had the bright idea of...
I did a clean install on a new SSD that I had previously formatted and neglected to delete the partition ending up without a MSR partition. I've already installed lots of applications so starting over would not be something that I'd want to do. What...
Hi, Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean install, 2 Samsung 850 EVO's, one will be main drive the other for backup purposes. The screen shot below was taken from Macrium Reflect backup / restore software. Both SSD's seem to be functioning well, load very...
Another day, another system. The one I asked about the other day where I deleted the Recovery Partition I fixed by running an in-place install. This one hasn't created the partition :( History - upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate, Start Button not...
Having upgrade Windows 8.1 to W10, I wish to now do a clean install, but cannot install over current installation due to it being a GPT Partition style boot. I have heard this can be deleted and replaced with MBR but then will I have to format the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums