1. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8
       20 Mar 2016 #1

    Installation does NOT ask for key during install


    I have a Lenovo Z510 laptop which originally came with Windows 8 Home. However, I wiped the HDD and reinstalled Windows 8 Pro using a valid key I purchase from school. Now I want to upgrade to Windows 10. Because I have a Windows 8 Pro key, I should be able to activate Windows 10 Pro with the same key.

    The issue I am having is that during a fresh install of Windows 10, the installation is NOT asking me for a license key. It is automatically assuming I have Windows 8 Home which originally came with my laptop (embedded in BIOS) and thus it is installing Windows 10 Home. I want to install Windows 10 Pro along with my valid Windows 8 Pro license key.

    Below are the steps I have taken to troubleshoot:
    - Create a Windows 10 USB installer using Microsoft's media creation tool
    - I ensured BIOS is set to UEFI mode
    - I ensured that BIOS is set to disable "secure boot"

    I am not understanding why Windows 10 installation keeps grabbing my OEM key. I have done a Windows 10 install on another laptop which came with Windows 7 Pro, and during installation it asked me for a license key. I selected "i don't have a key", then it asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro.
    Last edited by Zythyr; 23 Mar 2016 at 00:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       20 Mar 2016 #2

    Assuming you still have Win 10 Home running in your computer.................

    Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change Product key >
    now enter this generic Pro product key...............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, use you Win 8 Pro key to activate.

    Does that method work for you ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8
       20 Mar 2016 #3

    davidhk said: View Post
    Assuming you still have Win 10 Home running in your computer.................

    Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change Product key >
    now enter this generic Pro product key...............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, use you Win 8 Pro key to activate.

    Does that method work for you ?
    I was hoping for an more proper approach to bypass or ignore the default OEM key embedded in the BIOS. I want to do a vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10.

    I did find a temporary solution, using the ei.cfg method. All I did was enter the following text below. Windows 10 installer asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro. However, it did NOT ask me for a key. I guess I can just enter the valid key after installation.
    [Channel]
    _Default
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,428
    Windows10
       20 Mar 2016 #4

    Zythyr said: View Post
    I was hoping for an more proper approach to bypass or ignore the default OEM key embedded in the BIOS. I want to do a vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10.

    I did find a temporary solution, using the ei.cfg method. All I did was enter the following text below. Windows 10 installer asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro. However, it did NOT ask me for a key. I guess I can just enter the valid key after installation.
    When Windows 10 home is clean installed, it basically includes the PRO software as well but you need a pro key to unlikely the extras.

    Simply go to the activation menu, there is now a link that says 'go to store'.

    Click that link, and then the pro upgrade page comes up.

    Under the 'buy pro' button is a link 'I have a 10 pro key'.

    Click that link and enter your 8.1 key and you will activate the extra features.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,849
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Mar 2016 #5

    Zythyr said: View Post
    I was hoping for an more proper approach to bypass or ignore the default OEM key embedded in the BIOS. I want to do a vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10.

    I did find a temporary solution, using the ei.cfg method. All I did was enter the following text below. Windows 10 installer asked me if I wanted to install Home or Pro. However, it did NOT ask me for a key. I guess I can just enter the valid key after installation.
    You need to delete the EI.CFG file and use a PID.txt file instead.

    [PID]
    value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T


    That will cause Windows 10 PRO to install without asking you for a product key or which version you want to install. If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro saved on Microsoft activation servers, it will activate automatically. If you don't, then you will have to go to the activation screen, change product key, and enter your Windows 8 Pro product key to activate it.

    Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)
    Skip the ei.cfg portion and do only the PID.txt file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,197
    Windows 10 IoT
       20 Mar 2016 #6

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You need to delete the EI.CFG file and use a PID.txt file instead.

    [PID]
    value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T


    That will cause Windows 10 PRO to install without asking you for a product key or which version you want to install. If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro saved on Microsoft activation servers, it will activate automatically. If you don't, then you will have to go to the activation screen, change product key, and enter your Windows 8 Pro product key to activate it.

    Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)
    Skip the ei.cfg portion and do only the PID.txt file.
    That's the way I get around the auto detection of my 8.0 Core OEM key. I don't think you'll find an ei.cfg file in Windows 10 though? Not on the multi edition Home/Pro ISO anyway. Windows 7 has one but I don't think Windows 8 or 10 uses it anymore.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8
       20 Mar 2016 #7

    I ended up using the ei.cfg method as I mentioned eariler.

    I do NOT want to use the PID.txt approach. The reason for this is because I have other valid keys for Windows 7 and 8 that are either Home or Professional. I want to convert these to Windows 10. Thus, I rather have a standard USB installer, and manually choose Home or Pro during install, and after installation, I can enter my Windows 7 or 8 key to activate.
    Last edited by Zythyr; 20 Mar 2016 at 18:49.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       20 Mar 2016 #8

    Zythyr said: View Post
    I ended up using the ei.cfg method as I mentioned eariler.

    I do NOT want to use the PID.txt approach. The reason for this is because I have other valid keys for Windows 7 and 8 that are either Home or Professional. I want to convert these to Windows 10. Thus, I rather have a standard USB installer, and manually choose Home or Pro during install, and after installation, I can enter my Windows 7 or 8 key to activate.
    Please mark your thread as Solved so others with similar issue will know there is an answer in this thread.
    Thank you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8
       23 Mar 2016 #9

    Solution

    If you want Windows 10 installer to ignore your OEM license key that is embedded in your BIOS, then you need to use the ei.cfg method. One would use this approach if they have a valid license key that is of a different version from that of the one embedded in the BIOS.

    0) Use the media creation tool to create a Windows 10 USB installer
    1) In Notepad, copy and paste the below line:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    2) Save the file as ei.cfg
    3) Drag and drop the file into the Sources folder of your USB drive

    References:
    Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)
    [Fix] Cant Select Windows 10 Pro Edition During Clean Installation - AskVG
    iso image - Does the Windows 10 ISO have a EI.CFG file for changing the edition? - Super User
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't install OS! Reboot when launching installation!
Hello, I have been trying for hours to install windows 10 home on my newly built PC but i can't because there is a problem. I bought the usb version since i don't have an optical drive bay. The problem: I can start the setup, but when i...
Installation and Setup
Solved Windows 10 Installation keeps booting from USB after clean install
I got a HP Notebook yesterday that had Windows 8.1 on it. Today I decided I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 (not upgrade, but clean install) on it and I do have experience in reinstalling operating systems. I reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB stick...
Installation and Setup
Install AHCI Driver after Win 10 installation
Hi All. I would appreciate some help on this one. I found a spare 160GB SATA Drive on which I have decided to install a trial of Win 10 to explore it further for now. The only way that I could get this HD to be seen in the BIOS would be to...
Drivers and Hardware
If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool..
If I install Windows 10 using the media installation tool, will I have to do a clean install? So I'm having problems with installing Windows 10 using Windows Updates, so I'm going to use the media installation tool with the option to install on...
Installation and Setup
10130 fresh Install Alone : Perfect Installation 10/10
Nothing else to add: So far so good.
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums