Windows 10: Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
  1.    10 Jun 2016 #211

    Murdabenne said: View Post
    That extra network device is a VPN tunnel, which is necessary for my work. It is not connected until I make it connect. Medical privacy laws make it legally necessary - and I have never had an issue with it before unless its active. I have a couple gaming controllers connect via the USB3 extension hub, but I have tried unplugging them in the past and running with a generic cheap USB plugged directly into the machine.

    Anyway, I redid my install, formatted the hard drives and am now running the latest and greatest Win10-64. And it did seem to come with drivers for a lot more of my stuff than I remember when I did this back when it first came out. Just updating GeForce, getting my logitech gaming drivers (I use a G13 for a lot of things, not just gaming), and the RyosTKL-Pro keyboard drivers was about all I had to do. I have all this horsepower to view and manipulate medical images, but Its my computer so may as well use that to game with as well. :-)

    I'm in the middle of reinstalling the VPN software, and then after thats up, redoing all my work software. Thats whats going to be painful - slow links from the hospital and clinical offices. Thanks again for all the help. I wish we could have found the issue.
    Please make sure you have system images at the different steps, in case you need to revert; makes things easier. Good luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       10 Jun 2016 #212

    Murdabenne said: View Post
    Just updating GeForce, getting my logitech gaming drivers (I use a G13 for a lot of things, not just gaming), and the RyosTKL-Pro keyboard drivers was about all I had to do.
    Just curious, did Windows not provide drivers or did you decide you wanted to get updated drivers from the vendors?

    If it was the latter and any issues arise, I'd roll back those drivers (one at a time, starting with the GeForce driver) and see how she runs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,991
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       10 Jun 2016 #213

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Just curious, did Windows not provide drivers or did you decide you wanted to get updated drivers from the vendors?

    If it was the latter and any issues arise, I'd roll back those drivers (one at a time, starting with the GeForce driver) and see how she runs.
    I always get mine from Nvidia only, never had a problem. So do most of us that run the GeForce Cards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    10 Jun 2016 #214

    Windows had the geforce drivers but they were 352 and current is 368 or so (some important dual monitor + SLI features are not present in the old version MS loaded) . Windows had neither the RyOS-TKL-Pro nor Logitech gaming device (G600 mouse, G13 keypad) drivers, so those had to be manually installed otherwise the devices do not function.

    I did change the partioning and disks a bit before the install, it was a chance to clean up my system.

    And of course the very first thing after installing, I put on malwarebytes (paid full version), and Macrium (Full version), and did a full image backup of my main drive (the whole drive UEFI/GPT). Then a differential backup at each driver install (as well as a system rollback point). I did another image once I got my "baseline" system with all the usual additional software (like Chrome, PaleMoon browser, VLC player, PDF reader, LastPass, etc), so now I can roll back to bare bones (Just the stock OS, drivers WIndows got, and malwaybytes + Macrium), or else "baseline usable with apps" without reinstalling. Im putting in a virtual drive on the mirrored drive, 100gb or so, mapped to "H:" to serve as a "History" volume for MS's file version backup function.

    Nice thing is, the baseline is so compact I can put a copy on my media jbod NAS, as well as my file (RAID5) NAS, and on my onboard mirrored set (and all that is in addition ot my Toshiba 3TB external which I use for my backups). So I should be OK for the future. At least now I have a "known good" base from which to operate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    10 Jun 2016 #215

    Good. I wouldn't do the incrementals though - full images are best. If an incremental goes bad, the whole set is trashed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       10 Jun 2016 #216

    Murdabenne said: View Post
    Windows had the geforce drivers but they were 352 and current is 368 or so (some important dual monitor + SLI features are not present in the old version MS loaded) . Windows had neither the RyOS-TKL-Pro nor Logitech gaming device (G600 mouse, G13 keypad) drivers, so those had to be manually installed otherwise the devices do not function.
    Thanks, consider my curiosity satisfied

    Sounds as though your machine is the best it's going to get - complete with a base image.

    Bill
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    10 Jun 2016 #217

    Well I got the full image at "bone stock" and another at "usable with apps". Doing file based backups as the daily, images weekly. time for me to go to bed, Im up way late. 11 AM - be back awake at 1700 for a full 14 hours. And its Friday Night, so on the cardiac floor that means Hello Meth Head Tweekers and your rapid irregular hearts - and the usual drunks with bad hearts, and the weekend older (im older too!) "desk athletes" having heart attacks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    10 Jun 2016 #218

    Murdabenne said: View Post
    Well I got the full image at "bone stock" and another at "usable with apps". Doing file based backups as the daily, images weekly. time for me to go to bed, Im up way late. 11 AM - be back awake at 1700 for a full 14 hours. And its Friday Night, so on the cardiac floor that means Hello Meth Head Tweekers and your rapid irregular hearts - and the usual drunks with bad hearts, and the weekend older (im older too!) "desk athletes" having heart attacks.
    Sounds like a fun-filled Friday night for you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,991
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       10 Jun 2016 #219

    Party ON!!! lol
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Related Threads
Is the 1511 upgrade worth it? in Installation and Setup
I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person...
Solved second attempt for WIN 10 upgrade 1511 in Windows Updates and Activation
I have downloaded the original WIN10 from WIN7 earlier in October. I missed the November WIN10 upgrade to 1511 because I didn't have 31 days on WIN10 yet. Does anyone know when the second attempt will be in December? I don't want to do it myself,...
Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid,...
I've got an OEM Win 7 Pro 64-bit system with all updates. It's only a few days old. I don't see the Win 10 upgrade icon in the notification area. I've got Win 10 install ISO on a bootable USB device, SanDisk Micro 8 GB Cruzer. What do I need to...
I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull. So what I did was...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums