Windows 10: Clarification - MBR vs GPT

  1.    05 Feb 2016 #1

    Clarification - MBR vs GPT


    I've installed Windows 10 almost 20 times, but always as an upgrade over an existing OS. I'm finally going to install it on a few systems I've just completed building. I understand that if I am using UEFI, the drives must be formatted as GPT partitions.

    I'm not finding any clear answers, so I am asking here, once and for all. Is there a benefit to running UEFI/GPT versus the traditional BIOS/MBR?

    I never have more than 4 partitions on a drive, and don't plan on having a bootable disk larger than 1 TB on any system. Is performance the same?

    I've had to troubleshoot a non-booting Windows 7 system that ran UEFI/GPT and it was a royal pain to get any repair functions working.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 1,976
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       05 Feb 2016 #2

    Here's some explanation between the two's:

    Solved Does a Windows 10, clean install, create the necessary partitions? - Windows 10 Forums


    In your case. You can stick with MBR for compatibility using tool such as Easy BCD and easier to setup dual booting, specially with LINUX on the same HD/SSD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    05 Feb 2016 #3

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    I've installed Windows 10 almost 20 times, but always as an upgrade over an existing OS. I'm finally going to install it on a few systems I've just completed building. I understand that if I am using UEFI, the drives must be formatted as GPT partitions.

    I'm not finding any clear answers, so I am asking here, once and for all. Is there a benefit to running UEFI/GPT versus the traditional BIOS/MBR?

    I never have more than 4 partitions on a drive, and don't plan on having a bootable disk larger than 1 TB on any system. Is performance the same?

    I've had to troubleshoot a non-booting Windows 7 system that ran UEFI/GPT and it was a royal pain to get any repair functions working.
    Performance will not be affected, but if you do ever decide to dual boot, create data partitions etc, UEFI is preferable.

    A hidden benefit is secure boot which makes it harder for malware to hijack PC.

    If PC can run it, you should choose this option really.

    Also, if boot sectors get corrupted, can be easier to repair as boot sectors are always separate from OS, unlike MBR where boot sectors can be integral with OS partition (but usually separate).

    You should not be jaundiced by Windows 7 experiences as Windows has moved on - most new installs in last few years are nearly all UEFI. Windows 10 is much easier to reinstall anyway (not a UEFI issue though).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    05 Feb 2016 #4

    cereberus said: View Post
    You should not be jaundiced by Windows 7 experiences as Windows has moved on - most new installs in last few years are nearly all UEFI. Windows 10 is much easier to reinstall anyway (not a UEFI issue though).
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I assumed it was more difficult since Windows 7 is now "aged", so Windows 10's options for repairing a non-booting system would be a lot more friendly to UEFI.

    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 1,976
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       06 Feb 2016 #5

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I assumed it was more difficult since Windows 7 is now "aged", so Windows 10's options for repairing a non-booting system would be a lot more friendly to UEFI.

    Thanks!
    My suggestion was based on what you said in the OP. Personally, I use EFI in all my PC's except the old one that EFI is not supported. Beside the Secure boot option which I disabled, I don't see any benefit one way or other.

    However, it is very easy to convert your Windows from GPT to MBR and vice versa.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved UPS Clarification in Drivers and Hardware
Good day! This will be a quick and easy question but I have no idea where to ask it so here goes. I will be replacing my UPS (Intex 800V) soon and as I was searching for a new one and check its specs, it says 700W. I also checked the higher...
Hi...:( I have three PC's all running windows 10/64 bit... Two of them were running (Build 10525) this PC's auto downloaded the windows 10 update a while back and are curentley running (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.36)... The one I am...
Clarification on Hyper-V in Virtualization
I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm...
Solved Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification in Installation and Setup
So, I have been using the insider preview of 10 Enterprise for a while now. Later I learned I can't keep using it after the final release so I decided to downgrade to pro. I installed pro from an ISO and skipped the part that asked for a key after...
Solved Windows 10 Clarification in General Support
Hi , Could someone just help me i`m i bit confused 1...I have got the upgrade icon and have done whats needed to up from 7 to 10 ,will i get (or be able to download) a hard copy of my OS for future use 2... I have also got build 10130 on my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums