1. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    windows 7
       11 Jan 2016 #1

    Windows 10 upgrade, help please


    Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download..
    Tried to uninstall KB2952664 and re-install but the standalone installer also just sticks on 'searching for updates for this computer' can anyone help me please? I'm using windows 7 home premium x64
    The $WINDOWS.~BT folder that windows 10 supposedly downloads to is also not growing in size, still 24kb
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       11 Jan 2016 #2

    spvrtan said: View Post
    Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download..
    Tried to uninstall KB2952664 and re-install but the standalone installer also just sticks on 'searching for updates for this computer' can anyone help me please? I'm using windows 7 home premium x64
    The $WINDOWS.~BT folder that windows 10 supposedly downloads to is also not growing in size, still 24kb
    Hi.
    There is some prep work required before you upgrade, to make sure it runs smoothly:

    Uninstall any 3rd-party anti-virus
    Run sfc /scannow to make sure all system files are intact
    back up your files, or make a system image
    make sure your BIOS is latest version
    If you have moved your user files to another drive, move them back


    Grab the ISO from MS TechBench, (see option #1), and mount it from within W7, and run setup.exe
    (In W7: Extract the files from the ISO and select upgrade, keeping apps and files, begin at step 5)


    Alternately, you could backup your data files, write down your W7 key, and clean install using the ISO downloaded from MSTechBench, typing in your W7 key when asked - it will now activate that way, and you can skip the upgrade process altogether.

    If you don't know your W7 key, you can get it using this tool:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    windows 7
       11 Jan 2016 #3

    After some time trying many different things i've finally got it working through windows update, it downloaded fully, the only problem now is that it's stuck on preparing for installation, is it normal to take this long?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,176
    Windows 10 Home
       11 Jan 2016 #4

    spvrtan said: View Post
    After some time trying many different things i've finally got it working through windows update, it downloaded fully, the only problem now is that it's stuck on preparing for installation, is it normal to take this long?
    It can take quite a lot of time compared to what most folks expect. You might want to just go find something else to do for awhile and come back in an hour and see what's up. If it hangs "permanently", you're then probably better off following one of simrick's two suggestions in full.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    windows 7
       15 Jan 2016 #5

    I got windows 10 installed but when I shut down it began to continuously reboot and give the error 'your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart, we're just collecting some information and your pc will restart for you' and gives me an error code 0xc000021a, I've tried to boot and reinstall my windows 7 os with the disc but that won't work either, my pc is basically completely useless at this point, any help please?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       15 Jan 2016 #6

    spvrtan said: View Post
    I got windows 10 installed but when I shut down it began to continuously reboot and give the error 'your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart, we're just collecting some information and your pc will restart for you' and gives me an error code 0xc000021a,
    When W10 gets into a problem and can't boot, after 3 tries it will take you to the Advanced Menu with options for resetting/repairing, etc. Did it never get to that point? or, did you not let it try to boot more than three times?

    spvrtan said: View Post
    I've tried to boot and reinstall my windows 7 os with the disc but that won't work either, my pc is basically completely useless at this point, any help please?
    What is not working? It won't boot from the W7 disk? It won't read the disk as a W7 OS?

    Perhaps you should grab the TechBench ISO and just do a clean install at this point. If you have your W7 key, you can enter it during installation, or any time later to activate the OS. (See my post #2). Also, a little more detail in your system specs (in your profile) would be helpful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,390
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       15 Jan 2016 #7

    Hi,

    error code 0xc000021a
    Sounds as if there's incompatible software on TS's system. Anti-virus program perhaps ?

    Cheers,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
General Support
re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade
I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is...
General Support
10 upgrade failed, clean installed 7 but now cant upgrade again.
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Installation and Setup
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums