1. Joined : Dec 2014
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts : 25
    Win 10 Beta and Windows 7
       09 Jan 2015 #1

    Can't format a partition in win 10 TP


    hey there, can anybody please tell me why I can't format a normal data partition in Windows 10TP? It goes through the whole normal procedure and then gives me an error stating "Windows cannot complete the procedure". Even logged in as Administrator it won't format. Why is this and how can I rectify it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Jan 2015 #2

    dejager183 said: View Post
    hey there, can anybody please tell me why I can't format a normal data partition in Windows 10TP? It goes through the whole normal procedure and then gives me an error stating "Windows cannot complete the procedure". Even logged in as Administrator it won't format. Why is this and how can I rectify it?
    Could be any number of reasons. What kind of drive is it? What kind of partition? Are you certain there are no errors on the drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2014
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts : 25
    Win 10 Beta and Windows 7
       09 Jan 2015 #3

    Mystere said: View Post
    dejager183 said: View Post
    hey there, can anybody please tell me why I can't format a normal data partition in Windows 10TP? It goes through the whole normal procedure and then gives me an error stating "Windows cannot complete the procedure". Even logged in as Administrator it won't format. Why is this and how can I rectify it?
    Could be any number of reasons. What kind of drive is it? What kind of partition? Are you certain there are no errors on the drive?
    The drive is 100% in working condition and it is just a normal data drive/partition that I created to store video files on. I checked it for bad sectors and there was none. the one I am trying to format is the 121Gb one Drive E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2014
    DFW Area
    Posts : 374
    Windows 8&10
       09 Jan 2015 #4

    The partition E: is your System partition and holds the boot files..... Do Not format it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    09 Jan 2015 #5

    Saltgrass said: View Post
    The partition E: is your System partition and holds the boot files..... Do Not format it.
    Oops! I didn't look at that one too closely did I!
    Please disregard my previous post and listen to Saltgrass

    (That disk array in the screenshot is a little weird though!)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 658
    Windows 7
       09 Jan 2015 #6

    The E: drive contains the boot files, placed there during installation. Formatting the partition would render the computer unbootable, thus Windows won't allow it. Someone should be able to help you change this.

    The terminology is rather strange. The boot files are on the System partition while the system Files (Windows) is on the Boot partition. They can be on the same partition. This terminology has been in use since the early days of NT and can't be changed now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2014
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts : 25
    Win 10 Beta and Windows 7
       10 Jan 2015 #7

    LMiller7 said: View Post
    The E: drive contains the boot files, placed there during installation. Formatting the partition would render the computer unbootable, thus Windows won't allow it. Someone should be able to help you change this.

    The terminology is rather strange. The boot files are on the System partition while the system Files (Windows) is on the Boot partition. They can be on the same partition. This terminology has been in use since the early days of NT and can't be changed now.
    Could someone then please explain to me how to rectify this as it never did this before. I simply re-installed my operating systems as normal and now for the first time I encountered this. Is there a quick way to remedy this or must I literally re-install both my operating systems again and hope for the best?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Jan 2015 #8

    It's not clear to me how you managed to get your drives partitioned and installed in the manner you did. Can you explain how you did that?

    What I don't understand is how your Boot partition is partition 2 (0 based) which should hold your Windows folder, but yet your disk label claims partition 0 is Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2014
    DFW Area
    Posts : 374
    Windows 8&10
       10 Jan 2015 #9

    What I would do is to add the boot files to the partition you want to use for those. Since you probably want to use the 8.1 install, you would use the following command referencing the 8.1 partition for those.

    Open an administrative command prompt and use the following command. This will put the boot files in the C: partition.

    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

    When this completes you should be able to set the C: partition as active and then reboot.

    If something goes wrong, use the recovery environment to open a command prompt and use Diskpart to set the E: partition back as the active one.

    A process such as this can always cause problems where your install might be compromised, so make sure you have a way to recover just in case, which means recovery media and possibly a System Image.

    We can discuss adding the Windows 10 install to the boot menu which might require a command such as bootrec /rebuidbcd which has to be run from the recovery environment, so you may need recovery media for that.

    Someone else may have different options to accomplish this task.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    11 Jan 2015 #10

    It might be the method I use to install, but I do nothing unusual in this respect, fwiw, on my installations the boot files in disk management are shown in the partition which you are using at the time. I have dual boots. If I boot up in Windows 8, then the boot files are shown in that partition. If I boot in Windows 10, vice versa. In the OPs case, he seems to have his principal boot partition and OS as C: . It would suggest that D:, may be the Windows 10 installation?? I cant see the OS being on E: as it shows 100% empty space.. As he has used up opportunities to create further partitions, it would be better if, in the first instance, he merged one of the lesser used partitions. Say E: with D: or F: He could then designate a partition letter to Windows 10, if possible, assuming it is an installation and not just a retaining section for the image.
    The partitions already designated, look OK but are only understandable to the OP My own preference would be to relabel them with something that has more association with what they actually contain.

    Saltgrass suggestion might work, but the partition allocation is so messy that there could be a total failure. I would suggest, before you start, that you make ann image of your OS, which ever that may. At this stage, as I see it, the Windows 10 partition has very little priority, as the whole thing can be easily reinstalled

    P.S. I assume from your comments, that you do not have BitLocker enabled for that partition?
    Last edited by davehc; 11 Jan 2015 at 02:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can a small hard drive converted to gpt & Can you format a virtual...?
Can a small hard drive be converted to gpt & can you format a virtual drive as gpt with secure boot on? It looks like Microsoft is going to require Uefi enabled not sure about secure boot though for upgrade. I think that why I am had issues with...
General Support
Solved Can't format external USB drive.
I am trying to format 2 partitions on an external 1TB USB3 drive. I had 2 ExFat partitions (partitions 6 and 7) which I have deleted and created 2 new ones using diskpart which I want to format NTFS. When I try to format them using disk...
Drivers and Hardware
I thought MKV format was to be supported
Did I misunderstand? I thought somewhere it was reported that the new build Media Player was to support .MKV files? Neither Media Player or the Metro app do,
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums