Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       30 Nov 2015 #1

    Using ISO to re-install/recover W10 instead of HP recovery app


    I hope I can explain this properly...

    I just bought an HP Envy laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled. There is a recovery partition, but I'd like to erase the data in this partition and use it for personal files. My question is: if I do ever need to re-install or recover Windows 10 on this laptop, can I do it with a DVD I burned using the media creation tool from Microsoft instead of the specific HP recovery app the laptop shipped with?

    Thanks for any info...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,476
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       30 Nov 2015 #2

    pjfarr said: View Post
    I hope I can explain this properly...

    I just bought an HP Envy laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled. There is a recovery partition, but I'd like to erase the data in this partition and use it for personal files. My question is: if I do ever need to re-install or recover Windows 10 on this laptop, can I do it with a DVD I burned using the media creation tool from Microsoft instead of the specific HP recovery app the laptop shipped with?

    Thanks for any info...
    Recovery partitions that come on a pre-loaded box will contain the factory image as set by HP, in your case. That would include any pre-bundled bloatware and such. If you want a clean, fresh start without the crap, save the contents of that recovery partition on an external drive, and during clean install from your MCT DVD, delete the partition and extend the OS partition. MS Win 10 will create it's own recovery partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,896
    Windows 10 Pro
       30 Nov 2015 #3

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    delete the partition and extend the OS partition. MS Win 10 will create it's own recovery partition.
    Deleting all partitions on the hard drive and installing to the resulting unallocated space will give a completely 100% vanilla Windows install with none of the factory stuff left over. A lot of the new computers have two or three parts of recovery software in different partitions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,476
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       30 Nov 2015 #4

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Deleting all partitions on the hard drive and installing to the resulting unallocated space will give a completely 100% vanilla Windows install with none of the factory stuff left over. A lot of the new computers have two or three parts of recovery software in different partitions.
    That's even cleaner, I didn't want to over-confuse. If during installation, you blow away ALL partitions, you get as clean as clean can get!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       30 Nov 2015 #5

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    MS Win 10 will create it's own recovery partition.
    Thanks for the info tomcat. Question: if I have the DVD, why would it need to create a new recovery partition? And could I opt out of creating it during re-installation? One of the main reasons I want to get rid of HP's partition is to recover the diskspace and use it for personal files.

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    ...save the contents of that recovery partition on an external drive...
    Is there a particular reason I would need to save the HP recovery files?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       30 Nov 2015 #6

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Deleting all partitions on the hard drive and installing to the resulting unallocated space will give a completely 100% vanilla Windows install with none of the factory stuff left over. A lot of the new computers have two or three parts of recovery software in different partitions.
    Thanks Navy! That's what I kind of thought, but I wasn't sure if the motherboard or firmware or something has some kind of HP branding buried in it that would prevent me from using anything other than its own recovery files to reinstall Win10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 1,961
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       30 Nov 2015 #7

    I would go with what NavyLCDR suggested above. However, before doing anything, I suggest to:
    1. Just in case things go wrong. First, create a backup image of your current Windows to an external HD using: Macrium Reflect Free . Also create a USB/DVD Macrium Rescue disk from the program so you can use to boot and restore from it.
    2. Download: Driver 4.1 Backup Download and run to backup all the drivers, save them to the external HD so once done with new Windows 10 installation, you can restore the drivers without having to re-download & re-install all the drivers. This will save time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,476
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       30 Nov 2015 #8

    pjfarr said: View Post
    Thanks for the info tomcat. Question: if I have the DVD, why would it need to create a new recovery partition? And could I opt out of creating it during re-installation? One of the main reasons I want to get rid of HP's partition is to recover the diskspace and use it for personal files.


    Is there a particular reason I would need to save the HP recovery files?
    Typically a recovery partition is about 450 MB, not a huge amount of space. Not sure what yours looks like right now with the HP Recovery Partition. Can you do a screenshot of Disk Management and post it back. Also, when you have time, update your system specs here, the more info the easier to help.

    Do you have any recovery media from HP? How are you doing your backups?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       30 Nov 2015 #9

    topgun, those sound like great apps, esp. the driver backer-upper. Thanks! I've done disk images before using the tool that comes with Windows (specifically Win7). Is there an advantage to using a third-party app?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,476
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       30 Nov 2015 #10

    pjfarr said: View Post
    topgun, those sound like great apps, esp. the driver backer-upper. Thanks! I've done disk images before using the tool that comes with Windows (specifically Win7). Is there an advantage to using a third-party app?
    The reason Macrium Reflect Free is mentioned is it is fast, reliable, and allows multiple backups as opposed to Win supplied backup & recovery, which overwrites the last backup. Very flexible, used by many here on the forum. And it's FREE!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Device Recovery Tool - Recover Windows 10 Mobile Phone
How to Use Windows Device Recovery Tool to Rollback from Windows 10 Mobile You can download the Windows Device Recovery Tool on your PC and use it to fix software problems on your Windows 10 Mobile phone. It'll install the latest version of...
Tutorials
Fresh Install Windows 10 - Recovery Partition
Hi, I have an ASUS which came with 8.1 OEM. I upgraded to Win 10 and now am about to do a fresh install of Win 10 (using this tool: Windows 10) on it. It has 2 recovery partitions 20 GB and 500 MB. Q1. During fresh install, do I need to...
Installation and Setup
Solved Clean Install then Recover Backup?
Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such as bootloader etc... So my question is, would I be able to start all over, re-format the drive...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 Clean Install / Delete one-touch recovery system / Drivers
I have a PB (Asus) EasyNote ENTF71BM with Celeron quad core N2930 processor, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB DDR3 L memory. I am British but living in Poland with very limited command of Polish language. I bought the PB in Poland with W8 pre-installed in...
Installation and Setup
Re-install Win 8 from Recovery MicroSD
Hi Everyone! I really tried to like Win 10, but the mail not syncing, the virtual keyboard resetting all the time, not having Cortana or offline map in my region, oh and of course all the various BSODs made me give up after a month. It has...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums