1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 / 7
       09 Sep 2015 #1

    Windows 10 upgrade - Black screen, No cursor. Can't revert.


    Okay so I stupidly decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
    I left the install going and went out. When I came home it was stuck on a black screen without a cursor.
    The problem I am facing now is, sometimes I can get the laptop to go to the system restore menu if I screw around with it long enough, but it won't let me in because I don't have a password to log in (I never had one on this laptop) but it still requires one?
    And I can't seem to find any other way to get back to Windows 7, since I usually can't see anything at all?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,178
    W10Prox64
       10 Sep 2015 #2

    itssarahjade said: View Post
    Okay so I stupidly decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
    I left the install going and went out. When I came home it was stuck on a black screen without a cursor.
    The problem I am facing now is, sometimes I can get the laptop to go to the system restore menu if I screw around with it long enough, but it won't let me in because I don't have a password to log in (I never had one on this laptop) but it still requires one?
    And I can't seem to find any other way to get back to Windows 7, since I usually can't see anything at all?
    Hi itssarahjade and welcome to TenForums.

    When using restore in W10 it will always have a password prompt for user accounts, even if you don't use a password. You should be able to just leave the password box blank and continue.

    I do hope you have all your data backed up?

    I assume you used the Media Creation Tool and did an in-place upgrade to the laptop? Perhaps you can grab an ISO of Windows 10 and try a repair install using it. Be sure to select "keeps apps and files" or "keep files" (whichever you prefer). If it asks for a keycode, just select "skip". If it doesn't show the "skip" option, you have downloaded the the incorrect ISO for your system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 / 7
       10 Sep 2015 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi itssarahjade and welcome to TenForums.

    When using restore in W10 it will always have a password prompt for user accounts, even if you don't use a password. You should be able to just leave the password box blank and continue.

    I do hope you have all your data backed up?

    I assume you used the Media Creation Tool and did an in-place upgrade to the laptop? Perhaps you can grab an ISO of Windows 10 and try a repair install using it. Be sure to select "keeps apps and files" or "keep files" (whichever you prefer). If it asks for a keycode, just select "skip". If it doesn't show the "skip" option, you have downloaded the the incorrect ISO for your system.
    Yes fortunately I learnt my lesson on backing up many years ago!
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, I believe I have figured it out now.
    Thank you again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,178
    W10Prox64
       10 Sep 2015 #4

    itssarahjade said: View Post
    Yes fortunately I learnt my lesson on backing up many years ago!
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, I believe I have figured it out now.
    Thank you again!
    Please let us know your resolution, and then mark the thread as solved in the upper left-hand corner, so others with the same problem who search and find your thread will know the results.

    Thanks very much and enjoy Windows 10!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 / 7
       10 Sep 2015 #5

    simrick said: View Post
    Please let us know your resolution, and then mark the thread as solved in the upper left-hand corner, so others with the same problem who search and find your thread will know the results.

    Thanks very much and enjoy Windows 10!
    Just now finished reverting back, Just managed to continue without the password and it worked. Thanks again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,178
    W10Prox64
       10 Sep 2015 #6

    itssarahjade said: View Post
    Just now finished reverting back, Just managed to continue without the password and it worked. Thanks again
    Excellent! and, thanks for the rep!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10
I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it alone to finish setup and it went to sleep. Now I only get a black screen with an active cursor....
Installation and Setup
Black screen with NO cursor while installing Windows 10
Hey guys! So like a lot of you, I wanted to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10. But when the laptop was in the middle of installing Windows 10 and had restarted a few times, as it does during the installation, it suddenly went black screen with NO...
Installation and Setup
Black screen WITHOUT cursor after Windows 10 installation
I installed Windows 10 yesterday and I had kept my laptop on power and I went away for a bit and when I came back a couple of hours later, my laptop's screen was black but the lights on the laptop blinked so as to show that it had just restarted. So...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Black screen after login with cursor
I'm not too sure what to do. I can get into task manager but using explorer.exe doesn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this?
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Black Screen During Installation Sometimes with Cursor
Specs: Intel 2600k Asus Maximus V Extreme Nvidia GeForce GTX 590(1 GPU disabled) Samsung Evo 840 250 GB(19 GB space left before installing, however the setup said everything was fine) 2 Western Digital Blues 500 GB I've been looking at the...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums