1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v.10.0.10240
       15 Aug 2015 #1

    How do Local and Microsoft login effect my PC's login from a boot.


    I should be grateful for any help.
    At the moment I have a Local login and I am considering changing to a Microsoft login.
    If I do, does this mean that when my PC starts from a boot, that instead of the pin that I use to login to my account on the PC, I will be asked to login with both my Microsoft account username and password?
    If I make a mistake will I be locked out of my PC?
    Thank you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    15 Aug 2015 #2

    brinuk said: View Post
    I should be grateful for any help.
    At the moment I have a Local login and I am considering changing to a Microsoft login.
    If I do, does this mean that when my PC starts from a boot, that instead of the pin that I use to login to my account on the PC, I will be asked to login with both my Microsoft account username and password?
    If I make a mistake will I be locked out of my PC?
    Thank you
    Hey brinuk , welcome to tenforums.com !

    When you switch to an MS Account, you may be given the opportunity to create a 4 digit PIN Code right away, if not, you can set it later.
    (I'm not sure about preserving your old PIN)

    The Login Screen will display your username and email and you have a choice of entering the PIN Code or your Password.

    Numerous attempts at logging in will prompt you to reset your password.

    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v.10.0.10240
       15 Aug 2015 #3

    Edwin said: View Post
    Hey brinuk , welcome to tenforums.com !
    When you switch to an MS Account, you may be given the opportunity to create a 4 digit PIN Code right away, if not, you can set it later.
    (I'm not sure about preserving your old PIN)

    The Login Screen will display your username and email and you have a choice of entering the PIN Code or your Password.

    Numerous attempts at logging in will prompt you to reset your password.

    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10
    Thank you for your prompt assistance.
    It seems that Cortana requires a PC login with a Microsoft account.
    I assume this is also the case to enable my Gmail account to sync and show new emails in the live tile, and also to sync the Microft calender wit my existing Gogle calender. .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    15 Aug 2015 #4

    brinuk said: View Post
    Thank you for your prompt assistance.
    It seems that Cortana requires a PC login with a Microsoft account.
    I assume this is also the case to enable my Gmail account to sync and show new emails in the live tile, and also to sync the Microft calender wit my existing Gogle calender. .
    You are correct.
    You can pretty much sync everything with everything, makes life a whole lot handier!
    And, don't be put off by the 'Microsoft collects your data' thing, in order for all these apps/services and Cortana to work to your benefit, MS needs to hold your info.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Confusion with Office365 login, can't use onedrive / remote login
I took the plunge today and did a clean install of Windows 10 pro downloaded from MSDN. pleased to say it was the best install experience of any OS i've worked with. the performance is also incredible, everything is very snappy & responsive. ...
Software and Apps
OneDrive and Local Account login
Can I acces OneDrive with the desktop app even if logging into my computer with a local account? I know this wasn't possible on Windows 8/8.1. Thanks.
Software and Apps
2 Local users on 1 machine, login screen trouble
Hello, Im having trouble configuring the welcome or login screen in the Win10 OS. I have 2 local users, one with password. When i boot the OS, Windows automatically logs into the last logged user. I dont want that. I want to choose between user1 or...
General Support
Login Credentials (Local vs Live ID)
I suppose I don't have a "real" problem with using a Live ID to log in to Windows 9 (should they abandon local user names, as I hear they just might). My concern would be logging in to Windows NT based servers, or Windows NT domains. Would Live ID...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums