Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       09 Aug 2015 #11

    Unsatisfied said: View Post
    BunnyJ - Model is X205TA-BING-FD0158
    I checked it out and is it this one??
    ASUS X205TA-BING-FD015B 11.6-inch LED Notebook (Intel BayTrail Z3735F 1.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 32G SSD, Wi-Fi, USB 2.0, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

    If it is it's kind of light on the specs... If I were in your position and there is now way to fix it I would look at this one:
    Lenovo B50-45 16-inch Notebook (AMD Dual Core E1-6010 Processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

    Lenovo are IBM computers.. just a different company name but same excellent quality and when I got it I would just stick with 8.1.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,379
    Win 10 14393.51
       09 Aug 2015 #12

    "Empty box"? Because the OS has been trashed?

    You need to find someone sharper than Staples to assist you.

    I wonder whether it'd be worth contacting Microsoft as regards the Staples extended warranty. MS would hardly be pleased with the bullsh*t Staples is giving you as regards an OS upgrade that MS is pushing onto most of the PCs in the known universe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    8.1
       09 Aug 2015 #13

    bobkn said: View Post
    "Empty box"? Because the OS has been trashed?

    You need to find someone sharper than Staples to assist you.

    I wonder whether it'd be worth contacting Microsoft as regards the Staples extended warranty. MS would hardly be pleased with the bullsh*t Staples is giving you as regards an OS upgrade that MS is pushing onto most of the PCs in the known universe.

    Microsoft was the first company I contacted.
    Then Staples, Then ASUS. None could help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #14

    You do realize that there is a difference between your laptop being destroyed and the OS being destroyed right? Your laptop is undamaged, only the OS needs to be restored.

    BTW, this is the cheapest netbook known to man, last November it was sold at staples for $99. I can't believe you paid $69 for a warranty on a $99 computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    8.1
       09 Aug 2015 #15

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I checked it out and is it this one??
    ASUS X205TA-BING-FD015B 11.6-inch LED Notebook (Intel BayTrail Z3735F 1.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 32G SSD, Wi-Fi, USB 2.0, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

    If it is it's kind of light on the specs... If I were in your position and there is now way to fix it I would look at this one:
    Lenovo B50-45 16-inch Notebook (AMD Dual Core E1-6010 Processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

    Lenovo are IBM computers.. just a different company name but same excellent quality and when I got it I would just stick with 8.1.

    Jeff
    Jeff - That does look similar to mine, yes. I don't really have funds to be able to pay for a new Notebook.. I got this one on sale during Black Friday sales last year. That's why this is so upsetting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       09 Aug 2015 #16

    Unsatisfied said: View Post
    Jeff - That does look similar to mine, yes. I don't really have funds to be able to pay for a new Notebook.. I got this one on sale during Black Friday sales last year. That's why this is so upsetting.
    That stinks.. I would find a good local shop and take it to them. Explain the situation and see what they can do to fix it. I really think that it's something that can be fixed. It really only needs an OS. And if it has the same specs I would really consider Linux on that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,358
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       09 Aug 2015 #17

    Unsatisfied said: View Post
    As I said - That step was already tried with assistance from Staples AND ASUS themselves. Both have confirmed that Windows 10 turned my Notebook into an "empty box"
    And I don't believe it, that's why I would like to see the output of diskpart list disk command.

    I will admit there does not appear to be any way to start the recovery to factory state from a boot. At least nothing was listed in the Users GUide.

    You should be able to install 8.1 as I showed earlier though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,888
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #18

    One thing you can try is download a live version of Linux to a USB drive and boot the computer from that. If it boots from that, you can then look at the contents of the SSD installed. If you can read/write to the SSD installed, there is nothing wrong with the Netbook that would keep someone from putting Windows 8.1 back on it.

    Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    8.1
       09 Aug 2015 #19

    Mystere said: View Post
    You do realize that there is a difference between your laptop being destroyed and the OS being destroyed right? Your laptop is undamaged, only the OS needs to be restored.

    BTW, this is the cheapest netbook known to man, last November it was sold at staples for $99. I can't believe you paid $69 for a warranty on a $99 computer.

    I never said anything about a $69 warranty.
    I simply stated that we did purchase extended warranty. I also said I got the Notebook on sale for $99.99 during Black Friday sales last November. It no longer sells for that price. And yes, Mr. Literal, I do know there's a difference. However, when my notebook is rendered unusable and deemed unfixable by not one but three companies, I call that destroyed. Thank you very much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,888
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #20

    Unsatisfied said: View Post
    However, when my notebook is rendered unusable and deemed unfixable by not one but three companies, I call that destroyed. Thank you very much.
    And two out of those three companies deemed it unfixable over the phone, correct, without ever having seen it in person? And the person who actually did look at it tried one USB memory stick in it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison
Microsoft Windows 10 free upgrade: five questions answered | Technology | The Guardian "I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so?...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 free upgrade key
Hi all. Just upgraded two pc, first one was upgraded from windows 7, second one from windows 8.1. After activation I was thinking to do clean install but I have realised that keys from both machines are the same. Is that OK?
Windows Updates and Activation
Is 'Windows Phone' too insular of a brand name?
If the rumors are correct that MS are thinking of merging WinRT and WindowsPhone OS's; and possibly forking that away from the more classicly-minded Desktop PC OS for Windows 9; shouldn't they reuse the Windows Mobile brand for their phone/tablet...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums