After a succesfull upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10 on my Laptop, I now try to
install WIN10 on a Desktop Pc and that causes me a problem.
When I upgraded the Laptop from WIN7 to WIN10, all my applications and settings
were kept during the upgrading process and 2 hours after I started the upgrade,
the laptop was working as usual (but on WIN10 now)
However, when I try to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, I am not able to keep all programs and settings.
I am only given the option to do a clean install, where afterwards I will have to re-install, setup
and customize all my applications.
For both upgrades I used the same 4GB USB stick that contains the bootable WIN10 installation files.
This USB stick was created with the Media Creation Tool.
Here is what I did.
- Boot from the WIN10 bootable USB stick
- Then (after a while) the panel with the 3 questions shows up
* Language to install: HERE I CAN ONLY SELECT "English (United States)
As this suits me fine, I keep this selection
* Time and Currency format: Here I get plenty of options
I selected "Dutch"
* Keyboard or Input method: Here I get plenty of options
I selected "Dutch"
- After a while the system asks me: Do you want "Upgrade" or "Clean Install"
I selected: "Upgrade"
- When the system tells me to Reboot normal Windows (WIN7), I did and
rebooted the Normal WIN7 Operating System.
- While running this Windows 7, I ran setup.exe from the WIN10 USB stick
- In the Next panel, I selected: "Download and Install Updates"
At the Next panel, the problem arises:
- The next panel shows 3 options, of which unfortunately the
FIRST OPTION IS GREY
* Keep personal files and apps
You will be able to manage your Windows settings
* Keep personal files only
Your setting and Apps will be deleted but your files will be kept
Everything will be deleted including files, apps and settings
The screen gives an explanation, but unfortunately, it doesn't make sense:
The explanation is: You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps
because you've chosen to install Windows10 using a different
language than you are currently using.
The explanation is complete crap, because at the very first question that was asked,
I was not given another option than English (United States)
Note: The very initial installation language on the existing WIN7 system was Dutch,
but that was later changed into English with a program program called "Vistalizator"
I ran Vistalizator again, to go back to Dutch again on the WIN7 system, but still
the WIN10 upgrade does not give me any other option than English (United States)
Here I am stuck: I want to keep my settings and I don't want to spend
3 days on installing again my email, compilers and all the other useful
programs that I use every day.
Hope someone can shine some light on this problem.