Windows 10: ASUS laptop w Intel HD Graphics- Can I uninstall NVidia installation? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
       16 Nov 2017 #1

    ASUS laptop w Intel HD Graphics- Can I uninstall NVidia installation?


    My 2+ year old ASUS laptop G771JM originally came w NVidia Graphics but when MSoft installed Win10
    and subsequent upgrades to 1703 and 1709, the Intel HD Graphics have been installed. They work fine, at least to my eyes; this is a gaming computer but I don't do computer games at all. NVidia asks multi-times
    a week to re-install their package, and I don't want it. Is it safe to uninstall the two NVidia programs listed
    in Control Panel/Programs and is there a preferred sequence? Appreciate any input on this issue.
    keesadad in Mississauga ON
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 207
    Windows 10 Professional 64bit
       16 Nov 2017 #2

    If your computer has two graphics processors, you should be using both software for both devices. This will give you the best performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
    Thread Starter
       16 Nov 2017 #3

    Masterchiefxx17 said: View Post
    If your computer has two graphics processors, you should be using both software for both devices. This will give you the best performance.
    Hadn't thought about that as an option. It didn't originally have two; it ran on win 7 on NVidia,, then was changed to
    Intel HD Graphics. What I wrote in my post above came in part because my research seemed to suggest that NVidia causes problems occasionally and some suggested Intel might be better especially if games were not important.
    keesadad
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 591
    Windows 10
       16 Nov 2017 #4

    Optimus laptops have the two graphics sections linked at the output part.
    You will get a severe performance hit by disabling one of them. Try it, disable one in the Device Manager, then you will understand why both should be installed.

    The use of the Nvidia graphics is not just about Games.

    It is nothing to do with Windows 7/8.1/10 as such.

    There is no reason to uninstall the Nvidia Graphics and indeed it will contain the driver for the Optimus bit.

    The Intel HD graphics do perform better in some tasks, and you can use that for everything by default if you wish.

    You can uninstall the Geforce Experience, that is useless bloat to a non-gamer. Nothing to do with drivers directly, just an optional install for gamers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
    Thread Starter
       16 Nov 2017 #5

    Helmut said: View Post
    Optimus laptops have the two graphics sections linked at the output part.
    You will get a severe performance hit by disabling one of them. Try it, disable one in the Device Manager, then you will understand why both should be installed..........You can uninstall the Geforce Experience, that is useless bloat to a non-gamer. Nothing to do with drivers directly, just an optional install for gamers.
    Thanks Helmut. I obviously need to look into my own computer a bit, and it's getting late so I'll do that tomorrow. My quick look might suggest that this was never an "optimus" NVidia setup, there are two drivers for Display Adapter, Intel
    HD Graphics 4600 and NVdia GeForce GTX 860M. The Intel one is the only one showing on the right side of my task bar. I'll check tomorrow on what's running. My main use of computer is news, and excel spreadsheets to control my diabetes.
    Appreciate your help
    keesadad in Mississauga ON
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 14,297
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       16 Nov 2017 #6

    The Nvidia card has its own memory. In general the greater the memory on the computer and the greater the memory on the graphics the better the performance.
    The advantage of the Optimus technology is really the duration of use while on battery power.
    The Intel graphics consumes less energy than the Nvidia graphics and the likelihood of longer life with each battery charge.
    One of the advantages of Nvidia graphics is the ability to connect multiple monitors or more monitors at higher resolutions than intel graphics.
    The optimus technology in many computers can be turned on and off in the BIOS.
    On some computers that come with Optimus technology the Intel graphics is automatically disabled and cannot be turned on. These computers have better computer monitor resolution and lose the intel graphics to have this higher resolution with the use of the Nvidia graphics. Again the Nvidia graphics generally provides better display resolution consuming more energy and reduced battery life during each charge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
    Thread Starter
       17 Nov 2017 #7

    zbook said: View Post
    The Nvidia card has its own memory. In general the greater the memory on the computer and the greater the memory on the graphics the better the performance.
    The advantage of the Optimus technology is really the duration of use while on battery power.
    The Intel graphics consumes less energy than the Nvidia graphics and the likelihood of longer life with each battery charge.
    One of the advantages of Nvidia graphics is the ability to connect multiple monitors or more monitors at higher resolutions than intel graphics.
    The optimus technology in many computers can be turned on and off in the BIOS.
    On some computers that come with Optimus technology the Intel graphics is automatically disabled and cannot be turned on. These computers have better computer monitor resolution and lose the intel graphics to have this higher resolution with the use of the Nvidia graphics. Again the Nvidia graphics generally provides better display resolution consuming more energy and reduced battery life during each charge.
    Welcome back to my ASUS computer world, appreciate you looking in on this issue, and thanks for helping me resolve
    the battery issue. I will mark that as resolved shortly.

    This one stems in part from the daily messages that I get with getting warnings from WinPatrol saying NVidia is trying to access the internet. But I read somewhere that maybe I didn't need NVidia graphics. In Device Manager I found both NVidia Graphics and Intel HD Graphics installed, although only Intel is actually working 100%; of the 4 NVidia processes in Task Manager, only one of those- NVidia Driver Service - is actually running, three are stopped. How they got stopped I am not sure; I thought it was Windows 10 when I installed or upgraded. On some of the points you mentioned, these ones are not relevant to me - multiple monitors, higher resolution. - while the pluses of lower energy useage - better battery life - are important. So I'm inclined to prefer to uninstall NVidia. Would appreciate any thoughts you have on that process.
    keesadad in Mississauga
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,297
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       17 Nov 2017 #8

    Open control panel > select category > uninstall a program > scroll to the letter N > post image into the thread.
    Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand each display adapters and monitors > post an image into the thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
    Thread Starter
       17 Nov 2017 #9

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NVidia Programs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	164392
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 79
    windows 10 64 bit v1607 v1709 (6/11/17)
    Thread Starter
       17 Nov 2017 #10

    NVidia driver


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intel HD Graphics.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	164393
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi, my laptop has both Intel HD Graphics 530 and a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940M card I've realised that the latter's tray icon always seems to report 'inactive' if I hover over the icon. How do I know if it's ever used, and in what...
Hey guys, i recently switched to Win10 (clean install), after installing all the drivers i noticed a little mouse lag when i do certain tasks: Plugin any USB device Changing mouse settings sometimes right clicking on the taskbar
The Windows 10 WinPE uses 1019MB of shared system RAM to run the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter - the same driver is also found in Windows 10 after setup. In Windows 8.0 the basic adapter managed with 256MB - at least on my Windows to go...
Even though the 14 inch laptop panel supports 1600x900 (Dell part number MJ154) the max resolution i can pick is 1366 x 768. No higher options are shown Am running Windows 10 64 bit and i tried some 2015 drivers from Karl Sabo but no joy. I...
Hello! I have already contacted Asus about it, but I post it here as well, just in case someone knows the answer and can help me. I have an Asus P8H61 motherboard which is based on Intel H61 chipset (socket 1155). This motherboard supports Intel...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:08.
Find Us