Windows 10: Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Sep 2017 #1

    Can't duplicate display on HDMI and VGA outputs (ATI Radeon HD4200)


    I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 on my HTPC based on a Asus M4A785D-M PRO board (with an onboard ATI Radeon HD4200). I have the HDMI output connected to my TV. I want to pass a 2nd (duplicate) video feed to another (analog) display using the VGA port. None of the options in the Windows "Project" settings seem to work as I want however. If I select "Duplicate", which seems to be what I want in theory, the HDMI output goes blank while the VGA output displays the desktop. If I select "Extend" I can see the main desktop on the HDMI output, but the VGA output shows a different display (i.e. an extended desktop).Is there any way of getting the same desktop to be displayed via both the HDMI and VGA outputs?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    28 Sep 2017 #2

    I do believe, in duplicate, it defaults to the lowest resolution of the two monitors. And then tries to display that resolution on both. This causes one of the monitors to be at the wrong resolution. Some will display anyway and some won't, they are out of rage. I'm guessing this is your issue, just a guess though. I run triple displays but never in Duplicate Mode. I'm either in Extend or PC only.
    To make the best use of the Duplicate mode, both displays should be the same resolution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Sep 2017 #3

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I do believe, in duplicate, it defaults to the lowest resolution of the two monitors. And then tries to display that resolution on both. This causes one of the monitors to be at the wrong resolution. Some will display anyway and some won't, they are out of rage. I'm guessing this is your issue, just a guess though. I run triple displays but never in Duplicate Mode. I'm either in Extend or PC only.
    To make the best use of the Duplicate mode, both displays should be the same resolution.
    I suspected that it might be something like that. Is there any kind of software or driver workaround for this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Sep 2017 #4

    itm said: View Post
    I suspected that it might be something like that. Is there any kind of software or driver workaround for this?
    There are likely third party utilities to get around it. A quick google search found this, https://www.displayfusion.com/ I'm sure there are others. You'll have to read the details to see if it will suit your needs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Sep 2017 #5

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    There are likely third party utilities to get around it. A quick google search found this, https://www.displayfusion.com/ I'm sure there are others. You'll have to read the details to see if it will suit your needs.
    Many thanks for the link. I've contacted them to see if the DisplayFusion product can help with this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Sep 2017 #6

    It's a shame, in this day and age, that Windows can't do that natively. Hopefully that works for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Sep 2017 #7

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    It's a shame, in this day and age, that Windows can't do that natively. Hopefully that works for you.
    Sadly they've replied to tell me that their software can't help :0(
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Sep 2017 #8

    There are splitter cables that will send the one Video signal to two displays. You'd have to play around with the screen resolution to find one that will display on both monitors. It wouldn't be ideal but "might" work. LCD displays don' like to be run at anything other than their native resolution. They end up looking funky and it can be hard on your eyes.

    The other option is to use two identical monitors, or two monitors with the same resolution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Sep 2017 #9

    Thanks - yes I think a splitter is the simplest way to go. I'll scout around on eBay...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    29 Sep 2017 #10

    My 3 monitors are 1280 x 1024, 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 1024. If I switch to Duplicate I get a display on all three, but my center display (1920 x 1080) ends up with black borders on the sides. Shutters so to speak. Just lucky I guess? Your second display must really not like the resolution its getting sent. Do you have to use VGA? If you bought a different cable, DVI or HDMI would it work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi Everyone, I bought a new monitor last week and since setting it up I seem to be having some connection issues. In the past, I had one HDMI-out from the GPU to the AV Reciever by my TV (where I do most of my gaming) and a DVI out heading from...
After upgrade to Windows 10, I cannot display from my HP laptop via HDMI to my TV. This is bad since I play movies using my laptop. Where can I find a display driver that supports Windows 10? The laptop HDMI worked with Windows 7 & 8.
So I have a r9 270 which only has 1 HDMI port. I was wondering if there's a way to have 2 HDMI monitors running on my 270 which only has 1 HDMI port. Would it be worth upgrading graphics cards for this reason? I'm in need for more space so utilize...
Hi. I have a HP Pavilion dv4 with AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 graphic controller. When I installed Win 10, I was able to use the HDMI port to watch movies in my TV. Some time ago, the HDMI output didn't work anymore. I guess some Win 10 update...
guys i have a lenovo yoga 2 with haswell i5-4202y, HD4200, and neither the Audio driver for the device nor the Intel install package result in a HDMI Audio Device being installed. At one time, I think it was under Windows 8.1, it had such. Now,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:41.
Find Us