Windows 10: Moved PC to a different room decided to use an HDMI cable. Not booting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 May 2017 #1

    Moved PC to a different room decided to use an HDMI cable. Not booting


    Hi I moved my PC to a new location, and decided to save time by using an HDMI cable instead of the VGA one.
    Now I get a "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" message. I have spent hours trying to fix this, Any suggestions will be welcomed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. WOT's Avatar
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       07 May 2017 #2

    xXTenXx said: View Post
    Hi I moved my PC to a new location, and decided to save time by using an HDMI cable instead of the VGA one.
    Now I get a "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" message. I have spent hours trying to fix this, Any suggestions will be welcomed.
    Make sure your boot drive SATA cable did not come loose during the move and/or you could also try moving your boot drive to a different SATA port.

    Also, does your monitor have speakers? if not, do you still get audio when using the HDMI cable?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    07 May 2017 #3

    WOT said: View Post
    Make sure your boot drive SATA cable did not come loose during the move and/or you could also try moving your boot drive to a different SATA port.

    Also, does your monitor have speakers? if not, do you still get audio when using the HDMI cable?
    I checked all the connections and somethings I took out and refitted. I have replaced the HDMI with the original VGA cable no difference.
    I have two SSD's configured as one, I think it's called RAID. I don't want to remove them, because I would have the hassle of installing the OS again and re-configuring them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. WOT's Avatar
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       07 May 2017 #4

    xXTenXx said: View Post
    I checked all the connections and somethings I took out and refitted. I have replaced the HDMI with the original VGA cable no difference.
    I have two SSD's configured as one, I think it's called RAID. I don't want to remove them, because I would have the hassle of installing the OS again and re-configuring them.
    Did this just start after a recent upgrade to an Insider build perhaps? If so, what build? If not, what stable build are you running? And what is your RAID array configuration?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    07 May 2017 #5

    WOT said: View Post
    Did this just start after a recent upgrade to an Insider build perhaps? If so, what build? If not, what stable build are you running? And what is your RAID array configuration?
    This happened after I moved my PC to a different room. There was no problem with the OS 1703 build.
    My SSD's are configured as one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. WOT's Avatar
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)
       07 May 2017 #6

    xXTenXx said: View Post
    This happened after I moved my PC to a different room. There was no problem with the OS 1703 build.
    My SSD's are configured as one.
    OK, thanks for that; however, it is obvious that the physical move either caused some damage or disturbed something. That is why I pointed you to (what I believed to be) the most obvious area of concern. Moreover, 1703 is an incomplete response to my request for a build number and you did not provide your RAID configuration (ie, 1, 5, etc) so i don't think I can help you but I wish you the best of luck.

    Regards,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    07 May 2017 #7

    WOT said: View Post
    OK, thanks for that; however, it is obvious that the physical move either caused some damage or disturbed something. That is why I pointed you to (what I believed to be) the most obvious area of concern. Moreover, 1703 is an incomplete response to my request for a build number and you did not provide your RAID configuration (ie, 1, 5, etc) so i don't think I can help you but I wish you the best of luck.


    Regards,

    WOT
    Thanks for trying.
    Better luck in your next problem to solve.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 May 2017 #8

    Go into the bios/UEFI settings and make sure the SATA configuration is still set to RAID there. The most common causes of the inaccessible boot device error are cables that have gotten disconnected, physical failure of the SSD/HDD, or the bios/UEFI is set for one SATA configuration and the SSD/HDD is configured for something else (IE: UEFI set to boot in UEFI mode, SSD configured for RAID).

    I suspect either the CMOS battery died or jiggled a bit interrupting power long enough to reset the CMOS settings and the bios/UEFI reset to default settings, which probably were not for RAID.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,290
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       07 May 2017 #9

    For future reference, one is best served by setting equipment up exactly as it was before the move then if all works properly make the changes desired.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    07 May 2017 #10

    I will have a look, thanks for replying.
    I moved my PC into an adjoining room less than five meters away!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hey there, my old 2nd monitor is about to die (see: Solved Dual screen issue, 2nd screen turns black ... - Windows 10 Forums) so i got a replacement. Now i figured thats this monitor is able to run 120hz and i sure as hell wanna use that. :) ...
I have two laptops, both of which have HDMI ports. Is there any software that will use the HDMI cable to make one of my laptops act as a secondary monitor? I don't want any software that requires a network connection because I'm going to be in...
I have been using HDMI cable from laptop to tv without problem. However, since updating to Windows 10 whenever I use HDMI cable, after disconnecting my laptop screen is black, it is as though it does not recognize it's own monitor. I have had to...
Per the title, I run my computer through my TV using an HDMI cable. Sound works brilliantly on Windows 8.1 but after upgrading to Windows 10, I'm left without audio, and in the sound settings it doesn't show HDMI as an available device. Ideas?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:59.
Find Us