Windows 10: UHD 4K graphic cards -- any good ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    17 Aug 2016 #1

    UHD 4K graphic cards -- any good ones


    Hi there

    Any good 4K UHD graphic cards out there -- I'm not a gamer so I don't need all the 3-D and Direct X stuff but a really good (2D) 4K graphics card that I could use on Photoshop etc (Pro level photos etc) without blowing up the computer or computer running really hot -- graphics cards often run mega hot even with decent heat sinks !!

    Monitor to be driven is 50 inch UHD 4K TV. Any bigger than that I would need to sit at the end of the garden !!!!!

    Another nice to have feature would be a switch to revert to standard (on board) graphics when I didn't need the 4K UHD video -- saves energy and 1080p is perfectly fine also on 50 inch TV - the 4K though is brilliant for things like photoshop when preparing stuff for pro magazines at high quality. (Also for watching 4K streams from Netflix !!!!).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Aug 2016 #2

    650ti and up support 4k in the nvidia range dont know anything about AMD so will leave that to someone else

    all from 650 up should be able to cope with what you want
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Aug 2016 #3

    What do you currently have?

    Have been reading some other threads on other forums and it seems that you don't really need a graphics card if you aren't into gaming. Like integrated graphics in the CPU might be alright.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Aug 2016 #4

    BorisTheAnimal said: View Post
    What do you currently have?

    Have been reading some other threads on other forums and it seems that you don't really need a graphics card if you aren't into gaming. Like integrated graphics in the CPU might be alright.
    Hi there

    The main problem for "Non Gamers" is the quality of resolution from on board graphics -- to provide proper flicker free / stable 4K resolution you start needing more power than the on board graphics can usually supply. Most onboard graphics can deliver say up to a 30 inch monitor at 1080p resolution but if you are using a decent size monitor (say 50 inch) with 4K resolution any imperfection in the graphics is immediately noticeable on the large monitor.

    Specialized graphics (overkill for me) have all sorts of extra features like floating point / other compute bound stuff suitable for gamers but not really what I need.
    It's always the problem though as you improve parts of your system the imperfections in the other bits become more noticeable.

    Most onboard graphics cards aren't really suitable for large monitors yet --just not man enough for the job even though the spec might say "4K capable". There's a difference driving a 26 inch monitor say and a 50 inch one !!!

    A cheaper Nvidia might do the trick - possibly one of the GTX series -- a half height one would fit into my computer without blowing up the power supply I suspect but what are these like for driving high res large monitors.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 655
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       17 Aug 2016 #5

    Take a look at Matrox cards.

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/4K-8K/

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Aug 2016 #6

    Phone Man said: View Post
    Take a look at Matrox cards.

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/4K-8K/

    Jim

    Wow Matrox , blast from the past !

    I tried a 4k 43" tv but could not get it to work well as a monitor , at least not while attached with my Nec 23" monitors, so i returned it at got the Benq 32" Blt 3200 no issues since with syncing or icons etc or my CAD Software

    Is PShop high dpi aware now? icons and text are very small without scaling at 4k.

    BTW i am using a GTX 970 which idles at about 36degC.
    Last edited by Kbird; 17 Aug 2016 at 21:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Aug 2016 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    The main problem for "Non Gamers" is the quality of resolution from on board graphics -- to provide proper flicker free / stable 4K resolution you start needing more power than the on board graphics can usually supply. Most onboard graphics can deliver say up to a 30 inch monitor at 1080p resolution but if you are using a decent size monitor (say 50 inch) with 4K resolution any imperfection in the graphics is immediately noticeable on the large monitor.

    Specialized graphics (overkill for me) have all sorts of extra features like floating point / other compute bound stuff suitable for gamers but not really what I need.
    It's always the problem though as you improve parts of your system the imperfections in the other bits become more noticeable.

    Most onboard graphics cards aren't really suitable for large monitors yet --just not man enough for the job even though the spec might say "4K capable". There's a difference driving a 26 inch monitor say and a 50 inch one !!!

    A cheaper Nvidia might do the trick - possibly one of the GTX series -- a half height one would fit into my computer without blowing up the power supply I suspect but what are these like for driving high res large monitors.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Do you really think that the size of the monitor (rather than its resolution) matters? I had no idea that monitors were so, er, macho.

    What are the specs of the system you'd like the card for? (PSU in particular.)

    I get good results with a Maxwell Titan X on a UHD (3840 X 2160) non-TV monitor (DP interface), but it's a 28" weakling.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,034
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       17 Aug 2016 #8

    I am also not a gamer. Here's what I am using, read the spec.:
    Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Super Clocked GDDR5 128-Bit Dual DVI mHDMI Graphics Cards 02G-P4-3747-KR: Computers Accessories
    @Kbird,
    Is PShop high dpi aware now? icons and text are very small without scaling at 4k.
    Yep if you install Photoshop 2015

    Screen shot @3816x2152 on my Samsung 55" 4K curved with photoshop cc 2015
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	96726
    Last edited by topgundcp; 19 Aug 2016 at 20:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Aug 2016 #9

    Nice Setup ! you just made Jimbo reconsider 55"

    is it connected with normal monitors too , or just it ?

    I got the 970 at the time as I wanted 3 DisplayPort outputs off one card but that was 2 years ago , so it's likely easier to find now days.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,034
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       18 Aug 2016 #10

    @Kbird,
    I am planning to buy a 40" 4K TV. What brand do you have ? Samsung, LG ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Change Video Cards in Graphic Cards
Can you change from an AMD Radeon Card to a Gigabyte Nvidia card without and registration drama's.
Microsoft Gift Cards in Chillout Room
Today I wanted to buy several 30 Euro Microsoft Gift Cards on Amazon Germany. I discovered that all cards except the 75 Euro card were pulled. Was kind of disappointed, so I drove to a local store where I know they sell the Gift Cards, and again...
Sound Cards in Drivers and Hardware
Is there a verified sound cards list yet ? Thanks
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01.
Find Us