Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    06 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 82
    10

    Is the Nvidia 1080 Compatible with My PC Parts?


    I want to know if my parts are compatible with the Nvidia 1080 before I decide to buy it. Let me know guys!!

    Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Lighter Rig w/ New MSI Mobo - xlooks Saved Part List - PCPartPicker
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Looks OK.

    The graphics card may overhang the SATA ports. That wouldn't prevent you from using them, although it may be easier to remove the card when you need to access them. (Shouldn't need to do that often.)

    This assumes that the PC case you choose can take the length of the graphics card.

    Do you have any particular reason for choosing micro ATX? For example, the motherboard is limited to two DIMM slots. That's not a serious limit for most people, as you could use up to 32 GB of RAM (2 X16).

    Speaking of RAM, are you sure that you don't want dual channel? It may not matter outside of synthetic benchmarks, but I'd go for it myself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 82
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Looks OK.

    The graphics card may overhang the SATA ports. That wouldn't prevent you from using them, although it may be easier to remove the card when you need to access them. (Shouldn't need to do that often.)

    This assumes that the PC case you choose can take the length of the graphics card.

    Do you have any particular reason for choosing micro ATX? For example, the motherboard is limited to two DIMM slots. That's not a serious limit for most people, as you could use up to 32 GB of RAM (2 X16).

    Speaking of RAM, are you sure that you don't want dual channel? It may not matter outside of synthetic benchmarks, but I'd go for it myself.
    Hi bobkn. Yes, to answer your question, the reason why I chose this mobo is cuz it happens to be the lowest in price I can get for its features, like, USB 3.1 and HDMI port.

    The case I got for it is Cooler Master HAF 912 which is big enough for it.

    As for dual channel, all I'm interested in is gaming. I think dual channel is geared more for benchmarking in which case I wouldn't notice much difference in performance.

    If you have another mobo in mind for me, let me know please. But remember that I'm on a budget. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,635
    W10 Insider + Linux

    DDR4 does make better use of dual channel or even quad channel than DDR3 did if system supports it, nothing earth shaking but reports show some improvements.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by xlook View Post
    Hi bobkn. Yes, to answer your question, the reason why I chose this mobo is cuz it happens to be the lowest in price I can get for its features, like, USB 3.1 and HDMI port.

    The case I got for it is Cooler Master HAF 912 which is big enough for it.

    As for dual channel, all I'm interested in is gaming. I think dual channel is geared more for benchmarking in which case I wouldn't notice much difference in performance.

    If you have another mobo in mind for me, let me know please. But remember that I'm on a budget. Thanks.
    Somehow the idea of worrying about a few dollars in a system that is intended to house a GTX 1080 ($600 and up) strikes me as incongruous, but it's your money.

    Using the power search feature at my favorite online retailer:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ch=1&OEMMark=N

    the least expensive full ATX card is $85US (+ $2 S&H), although there's a $5 rebate on it. I might prefer this one:

    ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

    (ASUS Z170-E) which is $105 but with a $30 rebate at the moment.

    If you're willing to delete the built-in USB 3.1, you can get micro ATX boards for about $50.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 82
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Somehow the idea of worrying about a few dollars in a system that is intended to house a GTX 1080 ($600 and up) strikes me as incongruous, but it's your money.
    With all due respect, if the cheaper mobo I posted would have no issue with the 1080 whats the difference between it and the one you suggested? I don't get it.

    ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

    (ASUS Z170-E) which is $105 but with a $30 rebate at the moment.
    Looks good but its a K board. I won't be OCing. So maybe theres a cheaper non-K available? If not then I'll consider getting this as long as there are no sound issues.

    If you're willing to delete the built-in USB 3.1, you can get micro ATX boards for about $50.
    I'm confused by your answer. Again with all due respect why would you suggest this mobo with the same form factor as the micro ATX I initially posted when you complained about it?

    Just out of respect, I appreciate your answers. I just need clarification about them just to ensure that we're on the same page. So please don't think I'm dissing you. Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,635
    W10 Insider + Linux

    If you are not shooting for specialty of "Gaming" features which are mostly characterized by overclocking features with robust VRM section and multiple PCIe v3.0 ports with full x16 support for all of them, than any bloody socket 1151 MB would do it. Even ones with DDR3 support. They will all be compatible with1080 GPUs. Only other question is quality and durability of cheap ones. You get what you pay for still counts just as ever.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    07 Jul 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 82
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    If you are not shooting for specialty of "Gaming" features which are mostly characterized by overclocking features with robust VRM section and multiple PCIe v3.0 ports with full x16 support for all of them, than any bloody socket 1151 MB would do it. Even ones with DDR3 support. They will all be compatible with1080 GPUs. Only other question is quality and durability of cheap ones. You get what you pay for still counts just as ever.
    Ahh, I understand now. Quality and long-term durability are factors to consider then. I'll take another look at the mobo that was suggested before.

    I was informed that MSI boards do a slightly better job than Asus and gigabyte. What do you think and which brand do you recommend?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    07 Jul 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,635
    W10 Insider + Linux

    I'm partial to Gigabyte with Asus close second, Acer was considered to be "Baby ASUS" because they were making cheaper Asus boards and components but since then they are separate entities. With MSI I had bad experience but that was years ago, they got better in mean time. At one time, couple years ago I collected all MBs and bunch of other stuff I changed for others during few years and sold them for recycling (there is a lot of precious metals in them) and sold the lot for over 300 Euro. From 100 or so MBs 80 something were MSI. Mind you, those are just my experiences and things may have changed since than.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    07 Jul 2016 #10
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by xlook View Post
    With all due respect, if the cheaper mobo I posted would have no issue with the 1080 whats the difference between it and the one you suggested? I don't get it.

    Looks good but its a K board. I won't be OCing. So maybe theres a cheaper non-K available? If not then I'll consider getting this as long as there are no sound issues.



    I'm confused by your answer. Again with all due respect why would you suggest this mobo with the same form factor as the micro ATX I initially posted when you complained about it?

    Just out of respect, I appreciate your answers. I just need clarification about them just to ensure that we're on the same page. So please don't think I'm dissing you. Thanks!
    1) Either would work. If you're sure that you can live with the limits of a micro ATX board, run with it. (Those limits are probably completely irrelevant to you.)

    2) The first link is sorted by price. I've used mostly Asus boards in the past, but my current main system uses Asrock.

    3) I mentioned it only because it could save you a few bucks over the board you chose. Do you really want USB 3.1? It won't help you with USB 3.0 and older devices. (Future proofing? Seems inconsistent with micro ATX, if only because of its limited number of slots for add-in cards.)

    If you think I'm being inconsistent, it's because I'm trying to suggest a variety of alternatives. I can't (or won't) point you at a single board and say it's the one you must use. My specific knowledge is hopelessly out of date: my latest build is from late 2014 (I7-5930k, X99 chipset).

    I can't recommend a specific brand. ECS and Biostar are budget makers, but that isn't the same as making crap. If you read the customer reviews at Newegg, you'll find 1 star reviews for a lot of expensive boards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will this Mobo Support an Nvidia 1080?
I plan to build a gaming dedktop. I'll be buying an MSI mobo whose link is below. I want to know 2 things: 1) Will this mobo be good enough for an Nvidia 1080? 2) For a PSU, how many watts will I need to run an Nvidia 1080 on it? ...
Drivers and Hardware
NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUL6Gc2g4kg Source: A Quantum Leap in Gaming: NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1080 | NVIDIA Newsroom See also:
Windows 10 News
cant get 1080 resolution
after upgrading to windows 10, I cant get max resolution on my satellite p55-A5312. there is no option after 1366 x 768. I have installed the latest drivers from Toshiba site and also via windows update. but still cant get hd reolution. any help...
Graphic Cards
4K and 1080 Monitors problem...
I purchased a 4K monitor and also have a 1080 monitor on my system. I have set the size of text, apps and other items in the Display options on the 4k monitor at 150% so its readable, at 100% the text is very small. I have set the 1080 monitor...
Graphic Cards
can't install win 10 because nvidia is not compatible with win 10
1. earlier before july 29, 2015, i was told that my pc was ok to install windows 10. 2. today, july 29, 2015, i was told it was not compatible with nvidia. 3. what is going on. so is microsoft going to fix the problem or what? 4. most windows...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums