Windows 10: GTX 780, how do I get 144hz out of HDMI or DP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Mar 2016 #1

    GTX 780, how do I get 144hz out of HDMI or DP?


    I have dual GTX 780s and will be soon upgrading to quad GTX 780s in a 4 way sli configuration. For a while I was running 2 monitors, but as a look developer, screen space, colors, frame rates, and signal frequency are very important to an almost religious level so I bought 3 new monitors running at 144hz with a true color calibrator and sRGB config.

    Problem...... Each 780 only has 2 DVI ports so I am plugging my third monitor into the second card, but that prohibits me from running sli in max performance mode. When I try using HDMI or Display Port cables to connect them all to the first card, I no longer can set the frequency to 144hz. In fact, it caps me at 60hz. I have considered trying to overclock the monitor but I feel its cable related. My HDMI and DP cables are not suited (as far as I am aware) for 4k or high frame rates. After doing some research, some people have said the cable is rather irreverent, but where I looked, that problem was never solved.

    I hope someone might be able to help me figure out a way to solve this, could an active display port adapter to DVI-D perhaps fix this? is there an easier way? is it just the cables? I hope someone can help because I really want to free up this second, and soon third and fourth graphics cards so I can continue working without my render engines crashing every 5 seconds.

    (side note, my HDMI and DP cables are about 6 years old, could that be part of the problem?)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10,155
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       13 Mar 2016 #2

    If I remember correctly, DP and HDMI will not give you 144hz capability, and an adapter wont work either. Others may correct as I'm going off memory.

    Your CPU has built in graphics, you could use the DVI-D to run the third monitor @144hz and still run the SLI in max perf mode
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Mar 2016 #3

    What's a "look developer"?

    The specs on the GTX 780 are:

    GeForce GTX 780 | Specifications | GeForce

    At UHD (3840 X 2160), HDMI and DP are listed at 30 and 60 HZ respectively. Nothing is said about lower resolutions. You don't say what resolutions you are using, but you may be trying to get something out of the cards which they are not designed to permit.

    I haven't played with SLI for a while, and never with multiple monitors, but I believe that SLI is limited to two monitors.

    NVIDIA SLI Multi-Monitor | NVIDIA

    I'd be pleased to hear that I'm misinterpreting this, but I think that you can't get 145 Hz on 3 monitors using an SLI setup. Whether AMD Crossfire would be better, I have no idea.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Mar 2016 #4

    bobkn said: View Post
    What's a "look developer"?

    The specs on the GTX 780 are:

    GeForce GTX 780 | Specifications | GeForce

    At UHD (3840 X 2160), HDMI and DP are listed at 30 and 60 HZ respectively. Nothing is said about lower resolutions. You don't say what resolutions you are using, but you may be trying to get something out of the cards which they are not designed to permit.

    I haven't played with SLI for a while, and never with multiple monitors, but I believe that SLI is limited to two monitors.

    NVIDIA SLI Multi-Monitor | NVIDIA

    I'd be pleased to hear that I'm misinterpreting this, but I think that you can't get 145 Hz on 3 monitors using an SLI setup. Whether AMD Crossfire would be better, I have no idea.
    Look developers design and make textures, materials, then we render, and post-process CGI scenes in movies, ads, and things of that nature.

    I am using 1080p.

    ATI is a big nono for look developers. Their OpenGL, and CL drivers are far less stable and there is the issue of CUDA being an NVidia Framework which is now an industry standard for GPU rendering.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Mar 2016 #5

    Dude said: View Post
    If I remember correctly, DP and HDMI will not give you 144hz capability, and an adapter wont work either. Others may correct as I'm going off memory.

    Your CPU has built in graphics, you could use the DVI-D to run the third monitor @144hz and still run the SLI in max perf mode
    Thank you for the suggestion. Would that give me any kind of performance hit on that monitor? im still kindof curious how that would work? I mean, if I ran 3D mark half way between the 2 screens would it be lagging on the monitor using onboard and going hard on the SLI side?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Mar 2016 #6

    DP has to be version 1.2 in order to get high refresh rates. Standard DVI wont do them. You'd need dual-link DVI at best. Rather than waste money on 4 out-dated graphics card, why not get one 980ti and modernise?

    Just this week I got a new Acer monitor which can do 165Hz. I had to tune it using the OD menu so make sure its enabled that way too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    13 Mar 2016 #7

    swarfega said: View Post
    DP has to be version 1.2 in order to get high refresh rates. Standard DVI wont do them. You'd need dual-link DVI at best. Rather than waste money on 4 out-dated graphics card, why not get one 980ti and modernise?

    Just this week I got a new Acer monitor which can do 165Hz. I had to tune it using the OD menu so make sure its enabled that way too.
    because they are not outdated to look developers

    nvidia, in the 900 series, reduced the number of OGL and CUDA cores. The 900 series is widely renowned as a joke to look developers. It doesnt matter if your 900 series is more powerful, if it has fewer cuda cores for the render engine to utilize. Besides, I already have 2/4. It would cost more to sell the 2 I have and buy 2 new 980tis than to just buy 4 780s which walks all over the 900 series when it comes to rendering.

    The way I understand it is, thee 780 does have dp1.2. so, could a simple cable change possibly fix this?

    Look developing is nothing like gaming. There are hundreds of hours of work that go into a few seconds of footage vs gaming where you get ok looking footage instantly. Games can use Direct X, so it really doesnt matter how many cuda cores there are. The only time you use Direct X for rendering is in what is called architectural ray tracing. It means glass will be treated as glass by each normal, not by the mesh depth samples. So a thick window will render as 2 thin glass planes, instead of one thick one. It also uses a lot of techniques to fake shading and coloring and often uses liniar grading instead of quadratic, all to reduce render times. DX12 has come a long way and might have resolved some of these issues but its still nowhere near the industry standard render quality.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Mar 2016 #8

    What type of cable are you currently using?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    13 Mar 2016 #9

    The kind that I find at the bottom of a box in my server room after 6 years.... haha
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    13 Mar 2016 #10

    lol then its rather doubtful that it'l support 144Hz. You'll need to buy a Displayport 1.2 cable. Dual-Link HDMI cables can also do 144. Don't confuse it with the normal DVI.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	single-dvi.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	69300
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
no HDMI signal in Graphic Cards
I have an ASUS monitor and ASUS desktop with a graphics card not on board graphics. I have an HDMI cable from the monitor to the video card. Today for the first time while on the internet my screen froze and then went blue saying no HDMI signal. I...
I've been running a multi-monitor setup for a while now, with an ASUS VG248QE 144Hz monitor as my main, and one or more spare monitors as secondary displays. I've set the ASUS monitor to 144Hz without issue in the past, while the other monitors stay...
HDMI whut?? in Graphic Cards
Have a HP Pavilion 17" with the A8/8550G. Saw the drivers were out, and grabbed them. First off I installed the product thinking it would be fine because I've never had a problem with the boxes I've built. My mistake. It loaded drivers for my...
I want to use 2 displays using HDMI, but the only problem is that when I plug in my HDMI to my TV through the motherboard, it does not work. I know some do not support it which is why I am coming here. My mother board and graphics card are in my...
hdmi audio in Graphic Cards
Now i cant get the audio to work i have the realtek audio drivers and the CCC audio drivers. I am using a radeon hd7700 gpu.

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.
Find Us