Windows 10: No Display With GPU in Computer

  1.    03 Jan 2016 #1

    No Display With GPU in Computer


    So I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 to resolve an issue I was having, so my Nvidia drivers were deleted in that process. When I went to turn my computer back on after i was finished, there was no display on the screen so I took out my GPU and plugged the VGA into the integrated graphics and it worked fine. This just made me think I have to install the Nvidia drivers again but then I found out that you need the GPU in your computer to install the drivers, but My display won't work anymore with the GPU inside and no drivers for it.


    Can anyone help?
    Much appreciated, thanks in advanced
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,167
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       03 Jan 2016 #2

    Did you try to start in safe mode with networking with your graphics card plugged in?

    You should be able to see the monitor whether you have drivers or not. Otherwise you could not do a clean install on a new hard drive. Using your graphics card can you boot into bios and see?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    03 Jan 2016 #3

    essenbe said: View Post
    Did you try to start in safe mode with networking with your graphics card plugged in?

    You should be able to see the monitor whether you have drivers or not. Otherwise you could not do a clean install on a new hard drive. Using your graphics card can you boot into bios and see?
    I think I've tried everything and there is no fix to my problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,167
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       03 Jan 2016 #4

    Can you see in BIOS? When you go to BIOS, no drivers are loaded for any card or graphics. All drivers are loaded when the OS starts loading. If you can put the card in the computer and see on the monitor while it is connected to the motherboard and not the card, you have a hardware problem. The board is malfunctioning, the card has issues or the PSU won't power it. If the board detects an x16 GPU, it will disable on board graphics. Without it installed, you can't tell in bios if it 'sees' the card. So, we have to figure out some other work around to tell. Failing that, see if you have another computer in the house you could try it in, or see if one of your friends will try it in their computer to help you.

    In the other thread you said after the repair install the computer was running but you had no graphics to see. That indicates, to me, that the computer is running OK, just the graphics is not. There are several reasons why, but my first inclination is to say the computer cannot see the graphics card so no drivers are loaded for it and no graphics output. The computer does not realize it is even there. I may be wrong. We just have to figure out why and what. If you still are connected to on board, go into bios and tell me the values of your +12V, +5V and +3.3V. Also, completely fill out your system specs, with model numbers and manufacturer. You can do that by going to your last post and in the bottom left click 'My System Specs' and click the link to update system specs. Be sure to click save at the very bottom of the page. If you want to know what we want, click My System Specs at the bottom of this post and see mine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jan 2016 #5

    essenbe said: View Post
    Can you see in BIOS? When you go to BIOS, no drivers are loaded for any card or graphics. All drivers are loaded when the OS starts loading. If you can put the card in the computer and see on the monitor while it is connected to the motherboard and not the card, you have a hardware problem. The board is malfunctioning, the card has issues or the PSU won't power it. If the board detects an x16 GPU, it will disable on board graphics. Without it installed, you can't tell in bios if it 'sees' the card. So, we have to figure out some other work around to tell. Failing that, see if you have another computer in the house you could try it in, or see if one of your friends will try it in their computer to help you.

    In the other thread you said after the repair install the computer was running but you had no graphics to see. That indicates, to me, that the computer is running OK, just the graphics is not. There are several reasons why, but my first inclination is to say the computer cannot see the graphics card so no drivers are loaded for it and no graphics output. The computer does not realize it is even there. I may be wrong. We just have to figure out why and what. If you still are connected to on board, go into bios and tell me the values of your +12V, +5V and +3.3V. Also, completely fill out your system specs, with model numbers and manufacturer. You can do that by going to your last post and in the bottom left click 'My System Specs' and click the link to update system specs. Be sure to click save at the very bottom of the page. If you want to know what we want, click My System Specs at the bottom of this post and see mine.
    Something similar happened to me over the last couple of weeks. After some Windows 10 updates, the computer rebooted
    (as normal) and after restart the monitor remained black. I just assumed the update had gone wrong and Windows 10
    was having problems starting). I restarted the PC again, but the screen remained black,
    no BIOS POST messages, nothing. (I can't remember if there was a beep or not)

    Took the graphics card out and hooked up the VGA/onboard and it all worked as normal, except the onboard is too
    old for Windows 10 and so it puts it in "basic adapter mode" (similar to Standard VGA on earlier OS releases ?)

    After some troubleshooting, reseating RAM, swapping out the power supply, everything is working well
    with the onboard video. I get the POST beep after about 3 seconds, and it boots up quickly.

    However, if I put the PCIe card back in there is a delay. It looks as if the PC *tries* to start the adapter, about 7 or 8
    seconds go by, the screen remains black. Suddenly there is the single beep and it all goes normally from there.
    The POST messages appear and Windows boots. It seems like the computer gave up trying to start the adapter
    and reverted to onboard. Within Windows the adapter is not visible in the device manager, just the onboard.
    It's as if it wasn't even plugged in.

    I suspect this to be motherboard problem, since when I swapped in a second adapter, it still didn't work.

    One thing that surprised me is the reset buttton on the PC (I know some newer PC's don't have them anymore)
    When I was having problems earlier in my troubleshooting and I couldn't get it to post at all, even using the CMOS
    clear jumper and reseating the button battery, using the reset button enabled the PC to POST once more.
    Never heard of this before.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Jan 2016 #6

    COUPLE said: View Post
    So I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 to resolve an issue I was having, so my Nvidia drivers were deleted in that process. When I went to turn my computer back on after i was finished, there was no display on the screen so I took out my GPU and plugged the VGA into the integrated graphics and it worked fine. This just made me think I have to install the Nvidia drivers again but then I found out that you need the GPU in your computer to install the drivers, but My display won't work anymore with the GPU inside and no drivers for it.


    Can anyone help?
    Much appreciated, thanks in advanced
    You don't need graphics drivers to boot.

    Consider: when Windows is installed on a new system, you have to get a display to proceed. That's with no OS on the system at all.

    For some reason, your motherboard isn't properly switching to the graphics card. Some boards have no BIOS settings for that, and are supposed to do it automatically.

    If clearing the CMOS (also known as resetting the Real Time Clock) doesn't help, I don't know what to suggest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Greetings, and thank you for reading this thread. As the title states, my computer will turn off the display or go to sleep (not sure of correct terminology) when I go idle for a short period of time. For instance, I get up to get a glass...
My display driver kept Crashing my Computer, so I updated it with the latest driver for Windows 10. Now I keep getting a message to say that 'Scene Selection Has Changed' which annoyingly keeps on popping up on the Screen at regular intervals....
I used to have screen-saver set as 'none' and 'on resume, display logon screen', and set the time there the same as the 'display off' option in 'power options'. And that works fine on a PC, no issues there. Now I started using a laptop, and it...
I am in the process of building a new PC. After updating the old existing Win 7 32 bit desktop to Win 10, can I do a clean Win 10 64 bit install on the new build and keep the old computer running while I install all the necessary programs and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50.
Find Us