Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home/10.0.10586 Build 10586
       #1

    Force Nvidia instead of Onboard Intel GPU


    I set everything in the the Nvidia Control Panel to force the system to use my Nvidia Geforce 850M GPU, since I noticed that it wasn't ever switching. I also set it to display on the screen what GPU the Physx engine is using, and it always uses the onboard Intel GPU. I also checked my system information, and the Nvidia card is listed as a render-only card. From what I've googled, that means that it isn't being fully utilized. Does anyone have information on this? My games seem fairly slow compared to what a couple of sites have said my card should be able to handle. For example, Arkham Knight has to run on low graphics for my FPS to be decent and not lag. I know I'm on a laptop, but my system specs should be able to handle more.
    Last edited by Menendon; 26 Dec 2015 at 12:18. Reason: Spelling
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #2

    You need to go into the BIOS setup and disable the onboard graphics. While there check that BIOS is using the correct PCI-E socket.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home/10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #3

    What PCI-E socket should it be using?

    swarfega said:
    You need to go into the BIOS setup and disable the onboard graphics. While there check that BIOS is using the correct PCI-E socket.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #4

    The top-most one on the motherboard, should be pci-e 16x.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home/10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I'll try to find that. I can't seem to find any resource that tells me where that is in the BIOS for my computer. I've checked a couple of times now, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

    swarfega said:
    The top-most one on the motherboard, should be pci-e 16x.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12,420
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #6

    I know I'm on a laptop, but my system specs should be able to handle more
    Is that one of the newer Notebooks that has 2 video adapters? I've seen them advertised but haven't had occasion to work with one yet.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home/10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #7

    I don't believe so. It's an HP Envy 17t, I bought it directly from HP just over a year ago.

    Berton said:
    Is that one of the newer Notebooks that has 2 video adapters? I've seen them advertised but haven't had occasion to work with one yet.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 282
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       #8

    Open Nvidia Control Panel and look under "Configure 3D Settings", and make sure that "High performance NVIDIA processor" is selected on the drop-down box.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home/10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #9

    I have already. Everywhere that I can change it to only use the Nvidia card, it's already been changed. But the PhysX visual indicator never stops saying "CPU". I'm assuming that means that it's the Intel integrated graphics??

    bobjoe said:
    Open Nvidia Control Panel and look under "Configure 3D Settings", and make sure that "High performance NVIDIA processor" is selected on the drop-down box.
    Last edited by Menendon; 28 Dec 2015 at 10:10. Reason: New info
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,425
    Win 11 Pro 22000.652
       #10

    Menendon said:
    I have already. Everywhere that I can change it to only use the Nvidia card, it's already been changed. But the PhysX visual indicator never stops saying "CPU". I'm assuming that means that it's the Intel integrated graphics??
    That would normally suggest to me that PhysX is being run in emulation on the CPU rather than in hardware on the nVidia GPU. (I don't know whether nVidia uses any hardware acceleration on Intel built-in GPUs, but I doubt it.)

    What choices do you have for PhysX in the nVidia Control Panel? I have 3: auto, my GPU, and the CPU. (My desktop Intel CPU has no built-in graphics capability.)
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums