Nvdia GTX 980 video very choppy

  1. gzt7d8's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Nvdia GTX 980 video very choppy


    Windows 10 installed a native driver for the Nvidia 980 card that I have. The display is choppy and every time you open a window it paints the screen very slowly. I attempted to install the latest version of Nvidia (Win 8.1) but got a Blue Screen during the installation with a error message WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR.

    So I'm curious if anyone else has been able to get a Nvidia driver installed. If so, what version is it and where did you find it...e.g. Windows Update or another site.

    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #2

    If you are running an X99 motherboard, you are pretty much out of luck with the 9879 build. It has been Blue Screening those configurations.

    They may have even set the OS to not install the Nvidia drivers for now.
      My Computer

  3. gzt7d8's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Saltgrass said:
    If you are running an X99 motherboard, you are pretty much out of luck with the 9879 build. It has been Blue Screening those configurations.

    They may have even set the OS to not install the Nvidia drivers for now.
    Hmmm, that is the motherboard I'm running. I'll hope the build later this month has the ability to get the drivers in the version. This one is not good.

    That explains the Blue Screen, so why is the hardware the issue here?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #4

    There were some comments about a problem with the L3 Cache, but I don't have any more information.

    I have been basically out of the program since 9879 was released ... Since the chipset is fairly new, it was probably not released at the time the preview builds were done.

    So, I suppose the choices are to wait for the next build, stay with an earlier build, or suffer through 9879 using the alternate drivers.

    We will see what happens with the next build when it is actually released.
      My Computer

  5. gzt7d8's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Saltgrass said:
    There were some comments about a problem with the L3 Cache, but I don't have any more information.

    I have been basically out of the program since 9879 was released ... Since the chipset is fairly new, it was probably not released at the time the preview builds were done.

    So, I suppose the choices are to wait for the next build, stay with an earlier build, or suffer through 9879 using the alternate drivers.

    We will see what happens with the next build when it is actually released.
    Well you have laid out the choices, a little disappointing since I just loaded the build today on an extra SSD on my new computer. I saw a lot of traffic on the topic on the Windows 10 Community Forum too.

    I'll hope the Consumer Preview has some improvement...thanks Saltgrass!

    I'll mark this Thread as Solved even though the issue still prevails. But now I know what to expect.
      My Computer

  6. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #6

    I know this is an old thread, but I have had similar problems. I have a 980 on a Z77 Chipset. The latest Nvidia driver hosed my complete installation. I had to restore from the installation USB. 9879 is very buggy for me.
      My Computers

  7. gzt7d8's Avatar
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    essenbe said:
    I know this is an old thread, but I have had similar problems. I have a 980 on a Z77 Chipset. The latest Nvidia driver hosed my complete installation. I had to restore from the installation USB. 9879 is very buggy for me.
    The new build 9926 fixed the problem for me. It loaded the latest nvidia driver in the install. Much better.
      My Computer

  8. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 12,507
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
       #8

    That's great news. I'm downloading it as we speak. Thanks for the info.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums