Windows 10: Displayport gives no signal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
       05 Dec 2015 #1

    Displayport gives no signal


    Hello!

    So I bought a new monitor, the MG279Q and tried plugging it in to my PC via displayport, the monitor comes with a DP->miniDP cable, (from GTX780 DP to monitors miniDP) and the monitor gives no signal. However the computer does recognize the monitor and for example gives the sound alarm for new device attached. I can also see the device describes as "Generic pnp monitor" and I can see it in the Windows's own control panel for monitor + the nvidia control panel (pics in the end). But it won't allow me to set the monitor to use..

    I suspected that the cable might be broken so I tested it with my UX32LN (GeForce 840M) laptop which has a miniDP. I plugged it to the monitor (from laptops miniDP to monitors normal DP, the monitor has both DP and mDP) and wow, image straight away. So the cable should be fine I guess.. But this is somewhat of an different situation as I use different port in the monitor compared to my desktops GTX780. And I don't have other computers or gadgets that I could use to test the monitors miniDP port.

    Next I plugged in the monitor via HDMI to my desktop and that worked just fine. It recognizes the monitor without problems. Using my old XL2411Z monitor with DVI + MG279Q with DP or the MG279Q with HDMI+DP at the same time I can see the MG279Q being connected twice but it only chooses the HDMI connection and doesn't let me change it to DP even though it shows the connection.

    Here are some pics to explain it better (sorry about the fact that it's in my own main language):

    Multiple panel settings window. It shows the MG279Q on the top (under GTX780 the one not clicked) but it won't let me click it to use. Sometimes it lets me tick it for a second but instantly ticks the box off. The monitor nro 2 is the MG279Q via HDMI.



    Surround+PhysX window shows that I've connected the monitor via DP but it is greyed out. It also won't let me make a surround set with the Xl2411z + mg279q DP.



    Changing resolution settings only displays the HDMI connected monitor.



    So I tried uninstalling the Nvidia drivers + freshly installing them, did not help at all. Neither did uninstalling the generic pnp monitor so the computer would reinstall the displays drivers. I also freshly installed from Win7 Pro -> Win 10 Pro and no difference (was intended to do that later on anyway so I thought that I might check if it helps, my laptop is running Win10 and it's DP worked after all). I also went to BIOS and checked that iGPU is disabled + monitor setting is set to PCIE instead of auto, no use. I would also test the GTX780's DP on other desktop computer but I can't. Anyway I'm somewhat suspecting a software/hardware compatibility issue as the monitor is being recognized. Doubt the fact that the monitors miniDP or my graphics cards DP port is broken..

    What should I do or try? I really want to run the monitor via DP so I can utilize the 144Hz refresh rate.

    Tech specs:
    PC: P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (bios v3202) + i7 2700K, GTX 780 DC2 (vbios 80.80.21.00.AS04), 4x4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AX 760 PSU, Win10 Pro
    Monitor(s): MG279Q + XL2411Z
    Last edited by Jezme; 05 Dec 2015 at 12:24.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #2

    You may have to select the input directly from the monitor itself. Is what i have to do with mine.
    Last edited by Gas; 05 Dec 2015 at 10:58.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       05 Dec 2015 #3

    Gas said: View Post
    You may have to select the input directly from the monitor itself. Is what i have to do with mine.
    I've (of course) set the monitor to miniDP input and it doesn't help at all. I also checked that it is DP1.2 as in my GPU but doesn't have an effect on anything. When it comes to connecting via HDMI or DP with my laptop it also switches itself to the input that is giving signal.

    For example if I connect it with just DP to my GTX780 it displays no signal (using miniDP input and setting). If I connect it via HDMI+miniDP it changes itself to HDMI and if I swap it to miniDP via the monitors settings it just displays the "miniDP NO SIGNAL" turns off, sees the HDMI signal and switches itself back to HDMI.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #4

    Jezme said: View Post
    I've (of course) set the monitor to miniDP input and it doesn't help at all. I also checked that it is DP1.2 as in my GPU but doesn't have an effect on anything. When it comes to connecting via HDMI or DP with my laptop it also switches itself to the input that is giving signal.

    For example if I connect it with just DP to my GTX780 it displays no signal (using miniDP input and setting). If I connect it via HDMI+miniDP it changes itself to HDMI and if I swap it to miniDP via the monitors settings it just displays the "miniDP NO SIGNAL" turns off, sees the HDMI signal and switches itself back to HDMI.
    Now then to focus the HD\SW having problems I would try to connect the monitor on the IGPU via DP; if it works that way you can assume is the discrete GPU having problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       05 Dec 2015 #5

    Gas said: View Post
    Now then to focus the HD\SW having problems I would try to connect the monitor on the IGPU via DP; if it works that way you can assume is the discrete GPU having problems.
    My motherboard doesn't have a Displayport so is there any way to connect DP to the IGPU? The only DP port on my system is the one of the GTX780.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #6

    Jezme said: View Post
    I've (of course) set the monitor to miniDP input and it doesn't help at all. I also checked that it is DP1.2 as in my GPU but doesn't have an effect on anything. When it comes to connecting via HDMI or DP with my laptop it also switches itself to the input that is giving signal.

    For example if I connect it with just DP to my GTX780 it displays no signal (using miniDP input and setting). If I connect it via HDMI+miniDP it changes itself to HDMI and if I swap it to miniDP via the monitors settings it just displays the "miniDP NO SIGNAL" turns off, sees the HDMI signal and switches itself back to HDMI.
    Did you check the DP/DVI cable swapping it? I mean did you check it in both ways? GPU-DVI/DP-MONITOR and GPU-DP/DVI-MONITOR.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       05 Dec 2015 #7

    Gas said: View Post
    Did you check the DP/DVI cable swapping it? I mean did you check it in both ways? GPU-DVI/DP-MONITOR and GPU-DP/DVI-MONITOR.
    The monitor only has normal DP, mini DP and HDMI connections. And it came with a mini DP to DP cable and I'm trying to connect it with that cable so that my GTX780 is using normal DP (only got normal DP there) and the monitor is using the miniDP. There's no DVI in my setup (as in the problematic GTX780->MG279Q) expect for my old monitor.

    MG279Q

    GTX780


    So it's with a DP->miniDP cable so that I use DP on GTX780 and miniDP on monitor.


    Anyhow also tried using Google to see what others have and seems like Displayport signal issues are rather common.. There's tons of different things people have done to fix their issues but so far nothing I've found has helped me..

    Seems like some people have had to go as far as changing their whole motherboard to get the issue fixed: New GTX 780 Ti no video signal, need help! - Hardware Canucks

    I'm just hoping it's not my mobo that's for some weird reason denying my card from using DP. The guy in my link has pretty similar mobo+CPU combo though.. I know I could try flashing newest BIOS version on my mobo but I'd really like not to do that due to risks + don't I lose my overclocks of CPU doing that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #8

    It's ok
    I am looking at the monitor manual.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #9

    Jezme said: View Post
    The monitor only has normal DP, mini DP and HDMI connections. And it came with a mini DP to DP cable and I'm trying to connect it with that cable so that my GTX780 is using normal DP (only got normal DP there) and the monitor is using the miniDP. There's no DVI in my setup (as in the problematic GTX780->MG279Q) expect for my old monitor.

    MG279Q

    GTX780


    So it's with a DP->miniDP cable so that I use DP on GTX780 and miniDP on monitor.


    Anyhow also tried using Google to see what others have and seems like Displayport signal issues are rather common.. There's tons of different things people have done to fix their issues but so far nothing I've found has helped me..

    Seems like some people have had to go as far as changing their whole motherboard to get the issue fixed: New GTX 780 Ti no video signal, need help! - Hardware Canucks

    I'm just hoping it's not my mobo that's for some weird reason denying my card from using DP. The guy in my link has pretty similar mobo+CPU combo though.. I know I could try flashing newest BIOS version on my mobo but I'd really like not to do that due to risks + don't I lose my overclocks of CPU doing that?
    Well I did not look at first at your BIOS Version, witch is virtually the native one, as a gamer you should keep it updated as i thought you did; I know it's boring to setup BIOS settings (on your MB you have the option to save settings anyway), and because your BIOS is 7 version older then the last one you better update it in at least 2 steps, and I think that updating your MB BIOS is a "YOU MUST" operation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       05 Dec 2015 #10

    Gas said: View Post
    Well I did not look at first at your BIOS Version, witch is virtually the native one, as a gamer you should keep it updated as i thought you did; I know it's boring to setup BIOS settings (on your MB you have the option to save settings anyway), and because your BIOS is 7 version older then the last one you better update it in at least 2 steps, and I think that updating your MB BIOS is a "YOU MUST" operation.
    I have an older MB then yours (SB generation) and a not so good GPU then yours and my DP/DP works with NP.
    Then you should have NP with yours.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi all, I am experiencing a strange issue where my TV is losing signal after playing a game for a period of time. My primary display, a monitor, is not affected by this. My speakers also cut off when the TV loses signal. The TV is connected via...
No signal since startup in Graphic Cards
Hello, I read many threads about Windows 10 and AMD catalyst leading to a black screen on startup. Well, I'm not so sure that my problem is actually the same. Windows 10 does start (I can get access to the files from an other computer trough...
When I upgraded my Surface PRO 2 from 8.1 to 10, the mini DisplayPort would not work. I verified that Windows 10, drivers and firmware were all up to date. With help from MS service, the following worked: To open Device Manager, click Start,...
So today I started my computer up and only 1 of my 3 monitors working. Nvidia control panel claimed my gpu could only support 1 monitor which was false. What fixed it for me was I simply unplugged the 3 displayport cables for my 3 monitors and...
In my home desktop setup, I have four systems attached to a StarTech displayport KVM switch, which I use to switch back and forth between computers when necessary and the rest of the time I just work on them them using UltraVNC. I just upgraded a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.
Find Us