Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MrNeeds's Avatar
    Posts : 489
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       #1

    Nvidia Display drivers updated for W10 DP (possibly)


    I installed Windows 10 DP when it was released and got an error when trying to install the Windows 8.1 drivers from Nvidia's site, with the message "Nvidia installer cannot continue".
    Today I reinstalled Windows 10 DP again and downloaded the drivers, and success, installed first time.
    Can anyone find any official notes regarding this?
    Last edited by MrNeeds; 04 Oct 2014 at 18:51.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #2

    On one of my installs, I was given a Nvidia update before I attempted to download them. The second install I went ahead and download and installed. Perhaps there was a conflict with the Windows 10 provided ones and what you downloaded.
      My Computer

  3. MrNeeds's Avatar
    Posts : 489
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Saltgrass said:
    On one of my installs, I was given a Nvidia update before I attempted to download them. The second install I went ahead and download and installed. Perhaps there was a conflict with the Windows 10 provided ones and what you downloaded.
    both were fresh installs on the same computer, just different hard drives, using the same USB flash drive, seems a little strange.
      My Computer

  4. z3r010's Avatar
    Posts : 9,165
    Windows 10 Workstation x64
       #4

    I just took mine from Windows update, at this early stage I'd rather have something that Microsoft has tested and pushed to me.
      My Computers

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,707
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #5

    AMD/ATI does not have any new drivers either, fortunately old ones work.
      My Computers

  6. Layback Bear's Avatar
    Posts : 983
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       #6

    I just used the Nvidia driver that came from Windows 10 Updates which is what I do in Windows 7.
    They both are the same and they both work as they should.

    My understanding is that Nvidia makes driver to make Nvidia happy and then Microsoft smacks them around a while
    to make sure the drivers play well with Windows.
    My Nvidia drivers are always outdated but they work with Windows.
      My Computers


  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,707
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #7

    Layback Bear said:
    I just used the Nvidia driver that came from Windows 10 Updates which is what I do in Windows 7.
    They both are the same and they both work as they should.

    My understanding is that Nvidia makes driver to make Nvidia happy and then Microsoft smacks them around a while
    to make sure the drivers play well with Windows.
    My Nvidia drivers are always outdated but they work with Windows.
    MS does not write any drivers, manufacturers send them basic ones, just barely enough so they work. MS than hopefully checks them out and eventually certify them (WDM and "Signed drivers").
      My Computers

  8. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 14,179
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #8

    The only issue I have with letting window update install the NVidia drivers is it does a full install, adding 3d vision that I don't use.
      My Computers

  9. bromanbro's Avatar
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!
       #9

    By default Win8 just uses slightly outdated AMD GPU drivers. Probably same for NVIDIA. I doubt there's any differences between those and Windows 8's drivers. Right now Win10 is probably very similar to 8 internally, so at least for my AMD GPU, Window's 8's drivers are perfect.
      My Computer

  10. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #10

    Dude said:
    The only issue I have with letting window update install the NVidia drivers is it does a full install, adding 3d vision that I don't use.
    Agreed! For testing purposes I just went with the driver that came with Windows Update, but if and when I buy W10 RTM, then I will go back to downloading the latest driver from Nvidia.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums