GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown


    Hello, my PC has been having weird shutdown lately. When the screen goes black at the end of the shutdown, I hear my fans and components stop working, the PSU relay clicks, but the GPU keeps working and its fans keeping spinning (maybe some other components too, but the GPU is the loudest one). They spin for a second or two before PC turns itself on again for a second and back off after a few more seconds. The second time, it shuts down fully. The screen stays black during this entire process, no POST, nothing.


    I think this might be the GPU, because it started after I upgraded to Windows 10 and installed a second HDD. During the installation I decided to remove the GPU to allow me for some cable management, and it's been doing this ever since. I don't think it might be the new HDD as it turns off with all other components. It could be the OS, I honestly don't know :/


    My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 760 OC


    All components, including the GPU, work perfectly apart from the shutdown.


    My temperatures are OK, so I dismissed the possibility of it cooling itself. I've also tried disabling fast booting but that didn't help.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,200
    Windows 11 Home
       #2

    Try to set up HDD to never turn off, Windows has to turn it on so it can turn it off.

    Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    TairikuOkami said:
    Try to set up HDD to never turn off, Windows has to turn it on so it can turn it off.

    Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Already did that, doesn't help
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #4

    Once windows shut down, BIOS takes over and it's probably doing that. It's actually not a bad thing, components cool slower and so less stress on them.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    CountMike said:
    Once windows shut down, BIOS takes over and it's probably doing that. It's actually not a bad thing, components cool slower and so less stress on them.
    I'd love to believe it, but my temperatures are not high enough that BIOS should take over. Idling GPU is around 30C (full load at about 68C), idling CPU is around 32C, full load at 60C.

    And it's only for about 2-3 seconds. Sounds like a very short time-frame to cool anything, isn't it?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #6

    It's still up to BIOS, once it turns of first time, there's no windows influence any more. I'm not aware of any PSU with anything to click inside, no mechanical relays in it, must be sound of HDD parking heads.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    CountMike said:
    It's still up to BIOS, once it turns of first time, there's no windows influence any more. I'm not aware of any PSU with anything to click inside, no mechanical relays in it, must be sound of HDD parking heads.
    You're correct, those are probably parking heads. So, what should I do about it? I noticed that my chipset driver hasn't been updated since I bought the PC (which was over a year ago). I should probably update it, there's nothing else I can do, it seems.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #8

    MartynasB said:
    You're correct, those are probably parking heads. So, what should I do about it? I noticed that my chipset driver hasn't been updated since I bought the PC (which was over a year ago). I should probably update it, there's nothing else I can do, it seems.
    You can try to update drivers and maybe even UEFI or BIOS. Intel likes releasing new BIOS versions often. Check with Gigabyte for BIOS and what changes are from one before, there may be some correction. In BIOS, turn off anything that you don't use, like FDD controller. COM port and stuff like that.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    CountMike said:
    You can try to update drivers and maybe even UEFI or BIOS. Intel likes releasing new BIOS versions often. Check with Gigabyte for BIOS and what changes are from one before, there may be some correction. In BIOS, turn off anything that you don't use, like FDD controller. COM port and stuff like that.
    Isn't flashing a bit dangerous, as in only to be done like a last resort? Motherboard driver description makes it look like flashing is akin to summoning a demon from hell and offers several warnings against doing so. I will update my UEFI and chipset, but I'm doubtful about BIOS flashing.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 19,238
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #10

    I just suggested you just look if there's a new BIOS for which your problem is listed as fixed. Actually, Gigabyte has a nice utility for upgrading BIOS and it's quite safe "atBIOS" is called. It has option to just find and download newer BIOS file. I agree that flashing BIOS should be last resort for fixing a problem but I do it all the time anyway because I rarely buy new MB.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums