Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       16 Aug 2015 #1

    Display Driver Keeps Crashing my Computer!


    My display driver kept Crashing my Computer, so I updated it with the latest driver for Windows 10.

    Now I keep getting a message to say that 'Scene Selection Has Changed' which annoyingly keeps on popping up on the Screen at regular intervals. (How can I stop this before it drives me Crazy!) too late it already has!

    Then I get another 'Pop Up' which says 'Display Driver Stopped Responding but has now recovered' and is something else that I don't need to know (or maybe I do?)

    If that message pops up a couple of times, it Crashes the Computer which then re-boots itself (sometimes!) or else gives me a 'Black Screen'

    My Nvidea Graphics Card is virtually brand new and always worked faultlessly with XP and Windows 7.

    Could it be the Updates we keep getting or something else?

    I'm really loving Windows 10 and determined to hang in there, while they are fixing the bugs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,380
    Win 10 14393.51
       16 Aug 2015 #2

    Not only are we mostly amateurs here, we also aren't telepaths or clairvoyants.

    Filling in your System Specs might be helpful in getting responses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       16 Aug 2015 #3

    bobkn said: View Post
    Not only are we mostly amateurs here, we also aren't telepaths or clairvoyants.

    Filling in your System Specs might be helpful in getting responses.
    If only I knew I would tell you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 324
    Windows 10 Pro x86 and x64 dual boot
       16 Aug 2015 #4

    Downgrade the NVIDIA driver to 347.88 do a custom install and click clean install, then use Brinks tutorial to block the new driver on windows update and don't install GeForce experience and your done no more driver crashes.

    Tim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,380
    Win 10 14393.51
       16 Aug 2015 #5

    banger said: View Post
    Downgrade the NVIDIA driver to 347.88 do a custom install and click clean install, then use Brinks tutorial to block the new driver on windows update and don't install GeForce experience and your done no more driver crashes.

    Tim
    Might work. Not guaranteed.

    I had a lot of driver issues on some of the preview builds. (10130 was really bad for me.) Some of them seemed to carry over through OS upgrades. I imagine that bad things could happen with a Win 10 upgrade over a corrupt older OS (7 or 8), even if the corruption wasn't visible under the old OS.

    I was sufficiently compulsive that my main desktop PC is running a clean install of Windows 10 (build 10240). No problems there, with the latest nVidia drivers (355.60). A clean install is a lot more work, but it's, er, clean.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       16 Aug 2015 #6

    bobkn said: View Post
    Might work. Not guaranteed.

    I had a lot of driver issues on some of the preview builds. (10130 was really bad for me.) Some of them seemed to carry over through OS upgrades. I imagine that bad things could happen with a Win 10 upgrade over a corrupt older OS (7 or 8), even if the corruption wasn't visible under the old OS.

    I was sufficiently compulsive that my main desktop PC is running a clean install of Windows 10 (build 10240). No problems there, with the latest nVidia drivers (355.60). A clean install is a lot more work, but it's, er, clean.
    Hi Bob

    Being a 'Newbie' to Windows 10

    I let Nvidia Automatically Install the latest Driver which was 353.62

    Which is giving me all sorts of Problems: Display Driver Stopped Responding And Has Been Recovered.

    Screen Freeze/Mouse Freeze, You name it!

    If this happens a couple of times, it Crashes the PC and then Re-boots (if I'm feeling lucky) or else I get a 'Black Screen' and have to Re-boot it myself.

    What I haven't done as yet, is a 'Clean Install' Which I am no stranger to doing on Computers, as it is often the very best way of fixing a Corrupt File.

    As I've often found when you do a 'Fix' sooner or later it always comes back to haunt you.

    The reason that I decided Not to do a 'Clean Install' (At this Stage) was that I wanted to play the hell out of Windows 10 until I had managed to get my head around what all those 'Bells and Whistles' do and even now I don't know all of them.

    So this has been a very Steep Learning Curve at least for me!

    The idea was to make all my mistakes on what I'm using now and then once having done so, start afresh with a 'Clean Install'

    Which with the Benefit of Hindsight, was not a good idea as everything keeps going a little bit 'Glitchy' maybe not entirely helped by the constant stream of Updates they keep sending.

    But I really do love Windows 10 it is in a different league, to anything I've ever used before, so I am prepared to ride out the Storm until it settles down and works like a dream.

    Having learned the hard way, I keep almost nothing on my Hard Drive, as all my files are always backed up on my External one.

    So having got over the 'Shock of the New' Tomorrow I'll do a Clean Install and hopefully all my problems will be over!

    Wishful Thinking on my part but I'm forever the optimist.

    If I had done a 'Clean Install' right from the beginning, it all may have worked a lot better so I guess we live and learn.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       16 Aug 2015 #7

    banger said: View Post
    Downgrade the NVIDIA driver to 347.88 do a custom install and click clean install, then use Brinks tutorial to block the new driver on windows update and don't install GeForce experience and your done no more driver crashes.

    Tim
    Hi Tim

    That sounds a really good idea, the driver I'm running at the moment is 353.62 and it is Playing havoc with this Computer!

    Mouse Freeze/Screen Freeze and everything else in between, so may have nothing to do with Windows 10 as I was first thinking.

    Please could you give me some pointers on how to change the driver, as this is not something I've done for a long time.

    Do I just go to Nvida's Site, find the Driver I want and just download it, or is there more to it than that?

    Many Thanks for your help, as I'm thinking the Driver I am using may be the cause of the 'Glitches' that I've been getting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,380
    Win 10 14393.51
       16 Aug 2015 #8

    Cyberdesigner said: View Post
    Hi Tim

    That sounds a really good idea, the driver I'm running at the moment is 353.62 and it is Playing havoc with this Computer!

    Mouse Freeze/Screen Freeze and everything else in between, so may have nothing to do with Windows 10 as I was first thinking.

    Please could you give me some pointers on how to change the driver, as this is not something I've done for a long time.

    Do I just go to Nvida's Site, find the Driver I want and just download it, or is there more to it than that?

    Many Thanks for your help, as I'm thinking the Driver I am using may be the cause of the 'Glitches' that I've been getting.
    If you know you are running the 353.62 drivers, then you can know what your display adapter (graphics card) is. (or you can find out in 10 seconds by looking in Device manager.)

    WHAT IS IT?

    (That's shouting, if you didn't know.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       17 Aug 2015 #9

    bobkn said: View Post
    If you know you are running the 353.62 drivers, then you can know what your display adapter (graphics card) is. (or you can find out in 10 seconds by looking in Device manager.)

    WHAT IS IT?



    (That's shouting, if you didn't know.)
    Hi

    I can hear You!

    This is it.

    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU

    Q6600@2.40 GHz

    4GB RAM

    32 Bit Operating System X 64 Based Processor (can you see what I did there!)

    Nvidea Ge Force GT 610

    Driver Version 10.18.13.5560

    Have I made an Epic Frap Up or What!

    It looks as though I have installed the 32 Bit Version of Windows 7 when I should have Installed the 64 Bit Version of Windows 7

    And yet before I put it on there, I'm sure it said my Computer was only a 32 Bit or I wouldn't have done that.

    So if you can still type while you are laughing!

    What Can I do now! (No small wonder I'm getting so many problems!)

    HELP!

    IF my Computer has a 64 Bit Processor? (Is there a way of double checking this?)

    I went: Control Panel>Device Manager>Right Clicked on the HD Symbol (To get this Information)

    I have got a 64 Bit disk with Windows 7 on it (which was an upgrade disk from XP) Not an OEM

    But When I do a Re-Install, I take it I will have to go all the way back to square One!

    (1) Re-Install XP

    (2) Re-Install Windows 7 but this time the 64 Bit Version!

    (3) Re-Install Windows 10 (Will I hit the Buffers at this point?)

    (4) What will Microsoft Say about that! They might not Activate it?

    (5) Wait for Microsoft to Activate it

    (6) Then do a Clean Install

    I've tried getting Telephone Help from Microsoft in the Past and found it a bit of a Nightmare!

    Plan B:

    I also have another Windows 7 Upgrade Disk/s of both 32bit and 64bit Still in the Box and never been used or Activated, which I could use instead, although I'd rather not if I don't have to.

    How could I make such a Frap Up!

    I absolutely know that I checked my system some way along the line and that is why I put on the 32 Bit Version.

    Though could be Pilot Error I suppose.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,380
    Win 10 14393.51
       17 Aug 2015 #10

    The strongest reason to run 64 bit Windows is to access more than 4GB of RAM. The 32 bit Windows won't access all of 4GB, but it should give you most of it.

    I haven't done it personally, but I have read that if you have a 32 bit version of Win 10 installed and activated, you may then clean install the 64 bit version and it will activate online.

    That's plausible, because in the past (since Vista) the license key for Windows was valid for both 32 and 64 bit versions. I wish that I could tell you whether it's true.

    You don't really need the 64 bit version, but a clean install may fix your driver problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Nvidia Driver Crashing in Sleep Mode
Nvidia Win 10 64 bit Driver 353.30 appears to be crashing during sleep mode in build 10162, forcing a reboot. Has anyone else seen this with this driver and/or build? UEFI C-states are configured correctly; any solutions besides the obvious of not...
Graphic Cards
Display Driver Update
I just want to warn anybody with a laptop that uses a ATI graphic card that on my Toshiba Laptop running the Win10TP Windows update updated the driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series graphic card. Definitely a step backwards. I lost most...
Graphic Cards
Driver 353.62 crashing and restarting xalldaylong
This driver 353.62 just restarts every time I load videos in firefox or games, sometimes it hangs my system completely this is from a clean upgrade straight windows 7 > windows 10. GTX 650 2GB Any fix for this as I apparently cant do a...
General Support
Graphics Driver kept crashing (resolved), however Windows blocked app
I resolved the driver issue, and Diablo 3 plays like a champ, however the game that originally caused the driver crash, which lead to a few BSODs, was SWTOR.exe. Launcher.exe that updates the game files and handles authentication works fine, and it...
Software and Apps
Intel GMA Driver Crashing on Atom Z2760-based HP Envy x2
I have a 2 year old HP Envy x2 hybrid touchscreen laptop with the z2760 (Clover Trail) chip set and GMA graphics. When I installed Windows 10 for the first time it failed to recognize the graphics chip and installed the Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums