RTX 3080 Not Running Properly, worse than 5700 XT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #1

    RTX 3080 Not Running Properly, worse than 5700 XT


    If anyone has any ideas as to what the issue could be I'm going crazy...
    So I have my RTX 3080 TUF OC I got a couple days ago, but something's not right. In many cases its performing the same or worse than my 5700 XT was. And my performance is way below all the numbers I see online. I've reseated and reconnected the GPU, DDU'd multiple times, checked and made sure I'm in dual channel (I was in Quad and removed 2 sticks to see if it was the issue, 0 difference), XMP is on at 3200mhz stable since forever, the card is correctly running at PCIe x16 lanes 3.0. DSR is off (I tried it with it on too). The odd thing is I do get 11,498 on Port Royal, which is a bit less than the average of 11,533 but still not off. Here are some numbers:
    Assassin's Creed Odyessy 1440p Ultra: 30-80 FPS, 57 FPS average (Worse than 5700 XT by far)
    Watchdogs Legion 1440p Ultra DLSS Quality ON: 29-70 FPS (47 Avg), DLSS OFF 29-66 FPS(46 Avg)
    Death Stranding 1440p Ultra DLSS Quality ON: 101-115 FPS, DLSS OFF 101-114 FPS
    Red Dead Redemption 1440p Ultra MSSA/FXAA OFF: 26-88 FPS (70 Avg)
    Forza Horizon 4 1440p Ultra MSSA/FXAA OFF: 94 FPS Avg (Worse than 5700 XT)
    Horizon Zero Dawn 1440p Ultra: 77-79 FPS Avg (Just like 3-4FPS more than my 5700 XT)
    BFV 1440p Ultra + Raytracing performs right at 90-100FPS, but with Raytracing off it should be around 140-150...but instead its the exact same with RT on.
    Warzone also has FPS issues but this has been recognized by Nvidia so I wont comment on that
    My Threadripper 2920X is definitely not limiting it as I've seen up to i9-10900k's having the same issue, its not a TUF OC specific issue as there's a google docs with everyone who's having the issue is putting their specs and its all brands of 3080s. It's driving me crazy that it's performing horribly and in many cases the same or worse than the 5700 XT I replaced

    Specs: GPU: RTX 3080 TUF OC
    RAM: 32 GB RAM 2x16GB XMP on @ 3200mhz
    MOBO: ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING
    CPU: Threadripper 2920X
    PSU: 1000W Platinum+ Corsair HX1000i
    Monitor: 27" 1440p Samsung VA Curved
    Driver: 456.71 (updated to 457.09)
    Windows Ver: 19042.608
      My Computer

  2. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 3,646
    Win 10 X64 Pro 21H1 19043.964
       #2

    I don't own a 3080. From what I've seen so far, it may be months before they are readily available.

    The obvious idea is that your 3080 is a counterfeit. (That would be having a lesser card with a hacked BIOS that reports a more expensive card.) I have no idea whether the market has produced those yet. What does GPU-Z tell you about the card? Does it have 10GB of video memory? I don't recall any older nVidia cards with that precise amount.
      My Computers

  3. Pejole2165's Avatar
    Posts : 756
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    Install MSI Afterburner and enable logging, run a few games for 20mins or so at highest settings (allow time for the GPU cooler to soak, shouldn't take long at all) then check temps.
    Also check the power stats and other info in Afterburners graphs to see if it gives a clue as to the issue.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,163
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #4

    I got a hacked used card once from an Ebay seller, was performing really poorly. I got a refund. I found proof using help from the Nvidia forum. Ebay managers agreed with me and refunded the money, and I threw the card away, but did keep the fan, it was the only useful thing on the card.
    Seller said he did not modify the bios and of course was very reluctant to admit something was wrong with it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    bobkn said:
    I don't own a 3080. From what I've seen so far, it may be months before they are readily available.

    The obvious idea is that your 3080 is a counterfeit. (That would be having a lesser card with a hacked BIOS that reports a more expensive card.) I have no idea whether the market has produced those yet. What does GPU-Z tell you about the card? Does it have 10GB of video memory? I don't recall any older nVidia cards with that precise amount.
    I got my card directly from Best Buy Canada, and it performs as expected for a 3080 in 3DMark benchmarks, but games is another story. It does have 10GB of VRAM and I've tested the VRAM with multiple programs to assure the VRAM is not faulty
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,163
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #6

    Ace97 said:
    I got my card directly from Best Buy Canada, and it performs as expected for a 3080 in 3DMark benchmarks, but games is another story. It does have 10GB of VRAM and I've tested the VRAM with multiple programs to assure the VRAM is not faulty
    Get a refund, take it back to them, why put up with it, dont waste your money if it wont work for you. I hope it is under warrantee.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Pejole2165 said:
    Install MSI Afterburner and enable logging, run a few games for 20mins or so at highest settings (allow time for the GPU cooler to soak, shouldn't take long at all) then check temps.
    Also check the power stats and other info in Afterburners graphs to see if it gives a clue as to the issue.
    I've done so and everything looks great, even on 3DMark Port Royal and Timespy Extreme the GPU doesnt hit above 65C, power during some of the games is very off. For example Watch Dogs Legion it only goes up to 280W and performs like garbage, but RDR2 it goes to 335W (but still performs under spec by a sizeable amount)

    - - - Updated - - -

    sdowney717 said:
    Get a refund, take it back to them, why put up with it, dont waste your money if it wont work for you. I hope it is under warrantee.
    Unfortunately, I can only sell the card as Best Buy Canada's policy is unopened only within 30 days for PC components, and I've opened it. I have 5 years warranty on the card. The only thing I have to try is a fresh install of windows which I plan to do on a second SSD to test it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,163
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #8

    Ace97 said:
    I've done so and everything looks great, even on 3DMark Port Royal and Timespy Extreme the GPU doesnt hit above 65C, power during some of the games is very off. For example Watch Dogs Legion it only goes up to 280W and performs like garbage, but RDR2 it goes to 335W (but still performs under spec by a sizeable amount)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Unfortunately, I can only sell the card as Best Buy Canada's policy is unopened only within 30 days for PC components, and I've opened it. I have 5 years warranty on the card. The only thing I have to try is a fresh install of windows which I plan to do on a second SSD to test it.
    ok, 5 year warrantee, then get it exchanged with the company that made it, if worse comes to worse and a fresh install does not help. Eventually MS and the driver issues will get fixed if the card is truly ok.
      My Computer

  9. Pejole2165's Avatar
    Posts : 756
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    Does Canada not have the same 1 year warranty at purchase (regardless of manufacturers warranty) that most other countries have, because if they do then Best Buy is responsible for repair/ replace/ refund under statutory consumer rights, no matter what they say to the contrary.
    If the card is actually faulty (although it seems to be otherwise) then you should check your consumer rights before claiming on your 5 year manufacturers warranty.
    Other than that maybe start a thread on Guru3D, Guru3D.com there are some very knowledgeable people there, and probably easier to get an answer than from Nvidia forums.
      My Computer

  10. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 3,646
    Win 10 X64 Pro 21H1 19043.964
       #10

    Ace97 said:
    I got my card directly from Best Buy Canada, and it performs as expected for a 3080 in 3DMark benchmarks, but games is another story. It does have 10GB of VRAM and I've tested the VRAM with multiple programs to assure the VRAM is not faulty
    That's good news. I didn't really expect counterfeit 3080 cards in the market yet. You also didn't seem like the nave sort who might have bought one.

    I can't explain the discrepanies. From your posts, I doubt that replacing the card would help.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums