Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows10
       14 Aug 2015 #1

    Screen resolution


    Sorry if this has been asked and answered before (if it has can anyone direct me to the solution)
    Right then, I took advantage to "upgrade" from W7 to W10, everything went well except that the screen displays at a wider angle than it should i.e. my photo on my desktop background is stretched oblong as is all my desktop icons. A better example is...when I open my Memory Map software the Grid squares are now Grid oblongs. I asked in my local PC store and was advised to right click on the desktop background and select "personalise" which I did but no amount of changes brought about a solution to my problem..... so here I am guys, is there anyone with a solution....?
    Cheers Joe Lyman
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       14 Aug 2015 #2

    At a guess, Windows is using the Microsoft Basic drivers for your display adapter (= graphics device).

    If you can install the drivers particular to your graphics card, that should fix the problem.

    As you have provided no significant System Specs, it's not possible to point you to the proper drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 330
    Redstone_One_Pro
       14 Aug 2015 #3

    What type of Graphics card do you have? Nvdia, Intel, AMD...? What was the resolution under Sev7n?
    Last edited by MikeMecanic; 14 Aug 2015 at 11:59.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows10
       14 Aug 2015 #4

    MikeMecanic said: View Post
    What type of Graphics card do you have? Nvdia, Intel, Assus...? What was the resolution under Sev7n?
    Thanks to you & Bobkin but I don't have any of this type of info and not sure where I can retreive it..
    Sorry again Joe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 330
    Redstone_One_Pro
       14 Aug 2015 #5

    Right click on the desktop, you should have something similar to mine (Graphics Properties or Display Settings): See attachment.
    Or
    Search Windows/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Display/Change Display Settings// and/or//Adjust Resolution
    Or the best place to go:
    Search Windows (Cortana)/Display/Advanced Display Settings/Display Adapter Properties:
    See screenshot

    Show us Adapter Properties if you can. Otherwise tell us what type of Graphic card that you have?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (1).png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       14 Aug 2015 #6

    Joelyman said: View Post
    Thanks to you & Bobkin but I don't have any of this type of info and not sure where I can retreive it..
    Sorry again Joe
    If you can supply the make and model of the PC, that may be sufficient.

    It's also be interesting if you went into Device Manager and saw what display adapter appears.

    An old-fashioned way to do that:

    Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt on the keyboard). Press the Pause/Break function key. That'll bring up the System control panel.

    In the upper left of the System control panel window, click on Device Manager. That will open that Control Panel.

    A few entries down, click on Display Adapters.

    If it show the Microsoft Basic adapter, you need to update the drivers.

    This is slightly more complex: to find the hardware, double click on the adapter shown. In the windows that pops up, click on the Details tab. Under Property, choose Device IDs. I think you'll get a valid ID even if you don't have proper drivers installed.

    For example: if I web search on the shortest ID number displayed (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DD8&CC_0300 on my work PC), it is correctly identified as an nVidia Quadro 2000.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows10
       14 Aug 2015 #7

    MikeMecanic said: View Post
    Right click on the desktop, you should have something similar to mine (Graphics Properties or Display Settings): See attachment.
    Or
    Search Windows/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Display/Change Display Settings// and/or//Adjust Resolution
    Or the best place to go:
    Search Windows (Cortana)/Display/Advanced Display Settings/Display Adapter Properties:
    See screenshot

    Show us Adapter Properties if you can. Otherwise tell us what type of Graphic card that you have?

    I really appreciate the trouble you're going to but how can I send a picture like the one you sent of your PC screen
    Sorry I'm not that up on things ... Joe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows10
       14 Aug 2015 #8

    bobkn said: View Post
    If you can supply the make and model of the PC, that may be sufficient.

    It's also be interesting if you went into Device Manager and saw what display adapter appears.

    An old-fashioned way to do that:

    Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt on the keyboard). Press the Pause/Break function key. That'll bring up the System control panel.

    In the upper left of the System control panel window, click on Device Manager. That will open that Control Panel.

    A few entries down, click on Display Adapters.

    If it show the Microsoft Basic adapter, you need to update the drivers.

    This is slightly more complex: to find the hardware, double click on the adapter shown. In the windows that pops up, click on the Details tab. Under Property, choose Device IDs. I think you'll get a valid ID even if you don't have proper drivers installed.

    For example: if I web search on the shortest ID number displayed (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DD8&CC_0300 on my work PC), it is correctly identified as an nVidia Quadro 2000.
    I followed your info as far as "click on Device Manager" and opened Control Panel but there wasn't an entry titled Display Adapters down the list...............

    By the way I hope I'm not messing you both about by trying both of your suggestions.
    Cheers Joe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 330
    Redstone_One_Pro
       14 Aug 2015 #9

    You must do a screenshot first and it will be save automatically in the picture folder. It will be label screenshot(1). Press at the same time the windows flag key and the print screen key. That's it!
    Then in the forum reply window (lower right), click on Go Advanced. Then click on Manage Attachment. Then click on (upper right) Add File and then click on Choose file It should open the Picture folder. Click one time on the screenshot(1) image and click on Open. Finally, click on Upload to save it on the forum.

    Take care,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows10
       14 Aug 2015 #10

    MikeMecanic said: View Post
    You must do a screenshot first and it will be save automatically in the picture folder. It will be label screenshot(1). Press at the same time the windows flag key and the print screen key. That's it!
    Then in the forum reply window (lower right), click on Go Advanced. Then click on Manage Attachment. Then click on (upper right) Add File and then click on Choose file It should open the Picture folder. Click one time on the screenshot(1) image and click on Open. Finally, click on Upload to save it on the forum.

    Take care,

    Here you are Mike.. hope you can make something of it..
    Cheers Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (1).png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Resolution not fitting screen & Others
I have a few problems, I'll just list them and what I know because frankly I can't think of the answers. Even working with computers as a job I'm still mind blown by some of these. Problem 1 I have a XFX R7-260X-CNF4 R7 260X running on...
Graphic Cards
Solved Wrong screen resolution
Hi, I've just updated my home PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I have an ASUS VS239 HR monitor with a true resolution of 1920 x 1080. VS239HR | Monitors | ASUS Global Unfortunately the only screen resolution option for my PC that appears...
Graphic Cards
Wrong Screen Resolution.
I have a R9 290 Graphics card and on Windows 7 I could use the 1920x1080 resolution no problem but on Windows 10 the screen is now larger than my actual monitor, as if my screen is enlarged. Anyone know whats up with this? I've tried changing...
Graphic Cards
Solved Dual screen full screen zoom discrepancy with same resolution.
I'm running windows 10 on an ASUS Desktop computer with a GeForce GTX650. I dual monitor with a Samsung monitor and Samsung Plasma television. even though both devices are set to 1920x1080 (I've checked, repeatedly, and included screenshots) yet...
Graphic Cards
Solved screen resolution
Why did the screen resolution on my LG23a63 LED monitor, which is a 1920x1080, a perfect picture, drop back to 1280x1080? With that resolution screen looks terrible, Updated video card and monitor drivers to no avail. Thanks to all that answered...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums