Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #1

    W10 & GFX Compatibility


    I have W10 on my laptop and the graphic cards are being shown as incompatible and am currently using Windows VGA mode. I have dual card one for battery and one for elec plug in Radeon HD 4xxx series and HD 5xxx series respectively.

    Does anyone have a line on when patches/upgrades will be forthcoming? I have friends with Nvidia cards that have the same compatibility issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       31 Jul 2015 #2

    Possibly never.

    Microsoft generally doesn't produce drivers for third party hardware. That includes the drivers that are distributed through WIndows Update.

    It's entirely up to AMD. As they receive no income from supporting old hardware, they'd have to do it to preserve good will.

    "Old hardware" doesn't have to be very old, just not for sale in the retail market any more. It's not unusual for old hardware to not be supported under a new OS. Notebooks can be particular tricky, because their manufacturers sometime use custom device IDs for their onboard graphics, so a generic driver installer from AMD (or nVidia) doesn't recognize them.

    Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #3

    GFX Incompatibility


    Yeah my understanding is the the OS devs release codes to graphic card makers so they can make patches. From what I understand on other forums Windows is aware that there are issues and so does Nvidia and AMD and they are working on it. I was kinda hoping someone here had imperical knowledge of the goings on.

    As of this moment I have lots of questions to post about W10 hopefully this forum will provide answers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts : 31
    Windows 8.1 pro, Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #4

    here are the most up to date drivers I could find for AMD and Nvidia :

    Desktop


    Drivers | GeForce
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       31 Jul 2015 #5

    tazmo8448 said: View Post
    Yeah my understanding is the the OS devs release codes to graphic card makers so they can make patches. From what I understand on other forums Windows is aware that there are issues and so does Nvidia and AMD and they are working on it. I was kinda hoping someone here had imperical knowledge of the goings on.

    As of this moment I have lots of questions to post about W10 hopefully this forum will provide answers.
    That's true, as far as it goes.

    If you expect to find people here with inside information from Microsoft, AMD, Intel, nVidia, etc., you may be disappointed.

    If you think that AMD owes you working Windows 10 drivers for your laptop, you may be very disappointed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #6

    W10 Compatibility Issues


    As far as owing people, the way I look at, it they owe to themselves to open all avenues, even if just for advertizing purposes. They're all the time releasing patches for games heck I've seen AMD release 3 patches within a month for different things. The big deal in my mind with W10 is the DX12 deal that supposedly is backward compatible to DX9 why some cards that are DX10&DX11 capable have issues is beyond my expertise. I do know the M$ site did have a little blurb about the cards that are having issues(said they were ''looking into it'') M$ alone should owe to themselves to fix what they've broken for people, even if for good PR but it still boils down to $ and advertizing $ at that. Lots of craptops have Radeon HD 4xxx & 5xxx series cards so I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll come up with something. Just like the Windows Update feature that is now on W10 its Auto Update only, with no way to choose updates or what it is that is updated, I know people are going to howl about that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #7

    Hellishdream said: View Post
    here are the most up to date drivers I could find for AMD and Nvidia :

    Desktop

    .7
    Drivers | GeForce

    thanks Hellishdream... BTDT..... AMDs 15.7 even states its for W10 but sadly it didn't work with the HD 4xxx & HD 5xxx series cards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       31 Jul 2015 #8

    tazmo8448 said: View Post
    As far as owing people, the way I look at, it they owe to themselves to open all avenues, even if just for advertizing purposes. They're all the time releasing patches for games heck I've seen AMD release 3 patches within a month for different things. The big deal in my mind with W10 is the DX12 deal that supposedly is backward compatible to DX9 why some cards that are DX10&DX11 capable have issues is beyond my expertise. I do know the M$ site did have a little blurb about the cards that are having issues(said they were ''looking into it'') M$ alone should owe to themselves to fix what they've broken for people, even if for good PR but it still boils down to $ and advertizing $ at that. Lots of craptops have Radeon HD 4xxx & 5xxx series cards so I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll come up with something. Just like the Windows Update feature that is now on W10 its Auto Update only, with no way to choose updates or what it is that is updated, I know people are going to howl about that.
    I mostly agree.

    However, I'm accustomed to seeing companies like nVidia cutting support for graphics cards that are only a few years old. I doubt that AMD is a lot better. (Notebooks are sometimes worse, because the makers often use custom device IDs. That can block using generic drivers from the graphics chip makers.) Microsoft never came to the rescue; their basic drivers were never adequate.

    In my view, Microsoft offers the free Win10 upgrade to put everyone running Windows 7 (GA nearly 6 years ago) on a single OS. Time will tell whether Redmond is prepared to twist enough arms to make that work for every PC sold with 7 or later. (Better, every PC that ran 7 well.) From the posts here, they haven't managed so far.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2015
    Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
    Posts : 31
    Windows 8.1 pro, Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #9

    tazmo8448 said: View Post
    I have W10 on my laptop and the graphic cards are being shown as incompatible and am currently using Windows VGA mode. I have dual card one for battery and one for elec plug in Radeon HD 4xxx series and HD 5xxx series respectively.

    Does anyone have a line on when patches/upgrades will be forthcoming? I have friends with Nvidia cards that have the same compatibility issue.
    Would you be able to provide me with the exact models of GPUs, hd 4xxx & hd 5xxx is a bit vague?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 107
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Jul 2015 #10

    GFX Models


    My switchable graphic cards are:
    1) the embeded mobo card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (battery mode)
    2) Radeon HD 5470 (plugged in high perfomance) 512mb model

    I do know when I go to AMD the list it shows as 4xxx & 5xxx series when they update; whereas the older drivers from HP were very specific and called out the exact numbers. Past history dealing with these driver updates I found the HP specific updates worked whereas the generic ones from AMD did not. This isn't true with my desktop gfx they all work, take for instance I had an HD 6870 updating through AMD it was listed as HD 6xxx series and worked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
windows 10 compatibility problem
NEED HELP. I CAN'T ABLE TO UPGRADE MY WINDOWS 10. I AM FACING THIS PROBLEM. TELL ME THE SOLUTION. HOW TO SOLVE. THANKS. "The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that...
Installation and Setup
Compatibility mode
I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm...
Software and Apps
Photoshop CS6 Compatibility
Photoshop CS6 seems to function with the exception of printing when it stops working. Photoshop CS6 is fully functional on Windows 8.1; I can't see Windows 10 being so different to cause a problem, but obviously there's something different.
Software and Apps
enquiry regarding compatibility
If you check my system specifications below, I'd like to know whether I can run a Z97 motherboard, are they compatible?
Drivers and Hardware
VirtualBox 4.3.18.96516 - 10 TP Compatibility?
Anyone had chance to test the guest additions on the latest release of VirtualBox (VirtualBox 4.3.18.96516)? See highlighted line in the change log below # The following items were fixed and/or added: - VMM: fixed a potential misbehavior...
Virtualization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums