Windows 10: i5-3470 utilisation with GTX1050 Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    23 Mar 2018 #11

    Maybe just to make sure, double check CPU usage using Sysinternals Process Explorer, there have been issues with task manager and the system idle.
    Sysinternals Utilities - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    23 Mar 2018 #12

    clam1952 said: View Post
    Maybe just to make sure, double check CPU usage using Sysinternals Process Explorer, there have been issues with task manager and the system idle.
    Sysinternals Utilities - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
    Both task manager & Process Explorer show similar statistics :-(
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 383
    Windows 10 Home April 2018 Update 64-bit
       23 Mar 2018 #13

    robgr said: View Post
    All the games are at lowest graphics settings.
    It's using the task manager that I can see 100% CPU utilisation
    From what I've read it shouldn't bottleneck as you say :-(
    Any game can be cpu bound depending on the workload to the core/thread. Make sure to bump the graphics quality up to mitigate a bottleneck. Is the cpu utilization at 100% on all core/threads or just one? I don't know about PUGB, but the rest are cpu bound. As long as the temps and frametimes are consistent then you shouldn't worry. You can try to enable Vsync just for experimantation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Mar 2018 #14

    Faith said: View Post
    Any game can be cpu bound depending on the workload to the core/thread. Make sure to bump the graphics quality up to mitigate a bottleneck. Is the cpu utilization at 100% on all core/threads or just one? I don't know about PUGB, but the rest are cpu bound. As long as the temps and frametimes are consistent then you shouldn't worry. You can try to enable Vsync just for experimantation.
    Interesting point about games being CPU bound!
    Bumping the graphics quality up sounds counter-intuitive, how will this help?
    I'll check the Vsync settings and report back, same re the cores
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 383
    Windows 10 Home April 2018 Update 64-bit
       25 Mar 2018 #15

    robgr said: View Post
    Interesting point about games being CPU bound!
    Bumping the graphics quality up sounds counter-intuitive, how will this help?
    I'll check the Vsync settings and report back, same re the cores
    Bumping up the graphics quality will put more stress on the GPU and will - in theory - mitigate a CPU bottleneck. Disabling Vsync will let both the cpu & gpu "freeflow" and will certainly make the game eat more resources than having Vsync enabled, so to speak. As I mentioned, if a single core or thread is at 100% then the game is cpu bound which means that you need to offload more to the GPU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Mar 2018 #16

    My son upped some of the settings on one of the games and it did offload to the GPU
    He also enabled vsync and it appears to be no worse for it, no screen tearing noticed
    Thank you to all for your advice!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Solved Low CPU Utilisation in Performance & Maintenance
Hi Guys n Gals I'm hoping someone can help with my problem. My laptop has been running slow for a few days and I have noticed that my CPU utilization very rarely goes above 16%. I set it to High Performance but that hasn't made any...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:38.
Find Us