How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 77
    Windows 10
       #1

    How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X?


    I just bought a used Dell XPS 15 and immediately I installed windows 10 Pro x64. I have a problem with the graphic cards, I tried installing Counter Strike Source to try out gaming performance. And the screen is automatically set to 1024x768 at max and it is of course all displayed in a square.
    I see that the on board card is used, but I DID open Nvidia control panel and I did choose the GT540M as the default hardware for gaming and every other program, I even chose to optimize for performance instead of battery duration... I am starting to think there might be compatibility issues with Windows 10. Also, the 3 glowing sensor buttons don't do anything when I touch them. I guess the need a driver too. Also, is there bluetooth on this laptop? If so, how do I install the driver for it?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,459
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    Also, is there bluetooth on this laptop? If so, how do I install the driver for it?
    Right-click the Start button, click Device Manager. The Bluetooth function on all my Notebooks are part of the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter but has its own entry in Device Manager while the Wireless will show in Network adapters. If not there you can get the drivers from support.dell.com, you'll need the Service Tag which is usually a black on white or white on black label somewhere on the bottom of the case, maybe look in the battery compartment and in the BIOS setup. Turning off the Wi-Fi usually turns off Bluetooth.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 77
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    Right-click the Start button, click Device Manager. The Bluetooth function on all my Notebooks are part of the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter but has its own entry in Device Manager while the Wireless will show in Network adapters. If not there you can get the drivers from support.dell.com, you'll need the Service Tag which is usually a black on white or white on black label somewhere on the bottom of the case, maybe look in the battery compartment and in the BIOS setup. Turning off the Wi-Fi usually turns off Bluetooth.
    I did already look on the Dell support page. There is nothing to download that already hasnt been downloaded and installed. Do you think that the laptop could cause such problems due to incompatibility maybe?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12,459
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #4

    Entirely possible. Since I'm not a gamer I haven't needed to have dual video support.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #5

    Did you download the game from Steam? Their forums have a bunch of suggestions about this game and Win10. In Nvidia control panel it might be best to let it decide which to use. It SHOULD default to the GT540M for the game. Mine does for all games that's not flash based. As far as compatibility with Win10, have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Try it with 7. Also, have you made sure your GPU drivers are updated?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #6

    This may help also :

    CS:GO - The Ultimate Resolution Guide - clutchround.com

    Lots of information on the game and background on resolution issues for all the CSS games.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 936
    xp
       #7

    If you go into BIOS at boot you'll see the choices for graphics. On most laptops the choice will only be between the integrated GPU and Switchable. And switchable is really a hybrid type system. The laptop display will always run on the integrated GPU unless pushed really hard by 3D then the discrete GPU is run though the integrated one. On my laptop the only way I've found to get the discrete card to actually do anything is by using a external monitor

    Go into the BIOS and see what your setting are.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #8

    Bat 1 said:
    The laptop display will always run on the integrated GPU unless pushed really hard by 3D then the discrete GPU is run though the integrated one. On my laptop the only way I've found to get the discrete card to actually do anything is by using a external monitor
    Hmmmmm, Mine doesn't. As soon as I start playing any AAA game my GTX 1060 starts right in. I don't even have to switch it, it just starts.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 936
    xp
       #9

    indianacarnie said:
    Hmmmmm, Mine doesn't. As soon as I start playing any AAA game my GTX 1060 starts right in. I don't even have to switch it, it just starts.
    That's how it's supposed to work, some just don't

    ADDED: Might be my little 635m isn't much of a improvement over the Intel 4000
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 77
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    indianacarnie said:
    Did you download the game from Steam? Their forums have a bunch of suggestions about this game and Win10. In Nvidia control panel it might be best to let it decide which to use. It SHOULD default to the GT540M for the game. Mine does for all games that's not flash based. As far as compatibility with Win10, have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Try it with 7. Also, have you made sure your GPU drivers are updated?
    1) I didnt, I bought it in a store. I DID run in compatibility mode. Nothing changes. As far as I know these are the freshest drivers. Literally downloaded and installed yesterday together with the W10.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums