Windows 10: How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X? Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    31 Jan 2018 #11

    Bat 1 said: View Post
    That's how it's supposed to work, some just don't ADDED: Might be my little 635m isn't much of a improvement over the Intel 4000
    Can you elaborate?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jan 2018 #12

    Bat 1 said: View Post
    If you go into BIOS at boot you'll see the choices for graphics. On most laptops the choice will only be between the integrated GPU and Switchable. And switchable is really a hybrid type system. The laptop display will always run on the integrated GPU unless pushed really hard by 3D then the discrete GPU is run though the integrated one. On my laptop the only way I've found to get the discrete card to actually do anything is by using a external monitor Go into the BIOS and see what your setting are.
    that is very strange. Ill look at it, I didn't even open BIOS yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 822
    Windows 10
       31 Jan 2018 #13

    According to Dell that is an Optimus laptop, about 6 years old.
    Normally the switching of Graphics is automatic based upon what is set in the Optimus version of the Nvidia Control Panel.
    gives windows 8 drivers for it. Thus I presume you are getting yours from Windows Updates, or are you using compatibility mode on the Windows 8 drivers.

    You give us the details.

    Dell's guide gives details of Optimus and how it works.
    No idea what Dell's BIOS contains, but mine has no graphics settings within to change, and it is a somewhat newer Optimus Laptop.

    With the components you have there you would expect the Nvidia graphics to be roughly twice as fast as the integrated Intel one, in terms of fps.(HD4600 -> GT740M). I have done comprehensive tests on mine (HD4600 -> GT740M).

    You won't know about incompatibilities until further up the knowledge road.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Feb 2018 #14

    Helmut said: View Post
    According to Dell that is an Optimus laptop, about 6 years old.Normally the switching of Graphics is automatic based upon what is set in the Optimus version of the Nvidia Control Panel.
    gives windows 8 drivers for it. Thus I presume you are getting yours from Windows Updates, or are you using compatibility mode on the Windows 8 drivers.
    You give us the details.Dell's guide gives details of Optimus and how it works.
    No idea what Dell's BIOS contains, but mine has no graphics settings within to change, and it is a somewhat newer Optimus Laptop.
    With the components you have there you would expect the Nvidia graphics to be roughly twice as fast as the integrated Intel one, in terms of fps.(HD4600 -> GT740M). I have done comprehensive tests on mine (HD4600 -> GT740M).
    You won't know about incompatibilities until further up the knowledge road.
    This one is ancient it was apparently sold in may 2011, I bought it for 260 Euros. Its working well but I don't know what to do with the graphics, I worry about the nvidia card. There's no setting for the nvidia card or the integrated in this BIOS either, I just checked. So I dont have a clue what else can be done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Feb 2018 #15

    What is the resolution of your screen? Have you tried doing this:

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Feb 2018 #16

    Have you checked your GPU to see if its working correctly? And,......... well simplest things first .... have you went into game settings and set it for full screen? The game itself is fairly old and may not automatically choose full screen with your cpu/gpu combination.
    Last edited by indianacarnie; 01 Feb 2018 at 14:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Feb 2018 #17

    indianacarnie said: View Post
    Have you checked your GPU to see if its working correctly? And,......... well simplest things first .... have you went into game settings and set it for full screen? The game itself is fairly old and may not automatically choose full screen with your cpu/gpu combination.
    How do I check if I cant know if it is even being used???

    Of course I tried to change all settings in the game there is no doubt that the Intel gpu is used instead of Nvidia.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,759
    Win 10 X64 Pro 1803 17134.228
       01 Feb 2018 #18

    Steffan said: View Post
    1) I didnt, I bought it in a store. I DID run in compatibility mode. Nothing changes. As far as I know these are the freshest drivers. Literally downloaded and installed yesterday together with the W10.
    What nVidia and Intel graphics drivers did you install?

    The newest ones that I see on the US Dell support site are for Windows 8, and they are roughly 4 years old. I guess those are the ones I'd try; not sure how well generic ones would play in an nVidia Optimus (dual) setup.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    01 Feb 2018 #19

    bobkn said: View Post
    What nVidia and Intel graphics drivers did you install?The newest ones that I see on the US Dell support site are for Windows 8, and they are roughly 4 years old. I guess those are the ones I'd try; not sure how well generic ones would play in an nVidia Optimus (dual) setup.
    It most likely seems to be the problem. The driver installed is the one that the system downloaded automatically. So I would asume that its much newer than the one that is supported by this laptop. Probably I will just install W7 and give it a try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 822
    Windows 10
       01 Feb 2018 #20

    "How do I check if I cant know if it is even being used???"

    I do know with mine, only a have a few games mostly oldies, don't have that particular game on mine, but do have one from around that era.
    What you can do is run something like HWMonitor(from CPUID) in the background, I use that for max temperature indication, but it has other uses as well as it shows whether the Nvidia Graphics is being used.

    Another way, at least on mine is the Windows 10 Task Manager > Performance Tab > GPU 0(HD 4600) and GPU 1(Nvidia) is now shown.
    The pre-requisite for that is WDDM 2.0 or later, I think ???.
    That you can find out by putting "dxdiag" in to the run box. Look at the Display Tab. On mine that gives WDDM 2.O for HD 4600, and 2.1 for Nvidia GT740M.

    After 4 years I'm some way down that learning road. I was at your point some 4 years ago.

    Graphics Drivers - You and others probably won't believe me, but all I have done in 4 years is used Windows 8.1 and 10 updates for both Graphics drivers, it works fine(and Optimus), it really does. I'm using the Laptop now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Which graphic card.... in Graphic Cards
Which graphic card should i buy for best performance about gamess.......?? about 40-50 euro or lower... Thanks a lot...:) and gj:chuckle:
Graphic card??? in Graphic Cards
How can you find out which Graphic card is installed? mine is listed as Intel HD Graphics.
Windows 10 graphic card in Graphic Cards
Hi, This is my first post and although trawling back through other threads I havn`t found a previous answer to my query. I have installed Windows 10 to my Dell desk top PC and all is OK apart from the ATI RV370 video controller which needs...
Windows 10 can't detect my graphic card, and the only details I remember about it is that it's a NVIDIA GeForce card between the years 2005-2007. I already tried NVIDIA Auto-detection tool (GeForce Experience) and it couldn't detect it, tried...
So, I have a Sony Vaio VPCEA25FG, the spec is i3 2.27 Ghz, 4 gb of ram, and ATI Radeon 5145 when I was windows 7, but after I upgraded to windows 10, the graphics card, change to ATI Radeon 4500, what should I do to get the 5145? Thx for the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.
Find Us