Windows 10: Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2015 #1

    Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled


    Unlike Windows 8.1, the screen on my Yoga 2 Pro doesn't rotate when I turn the device upside down to "tent" mode after installing Windows 10. When swiping right to show the Action Center, the Rotation Lock tile is disabled, as is this setting in the Control Panel. Anyone else experience this, and is there a solution? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 22,168
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16241
       30 Jul 2015 #2

    Hello pseudoware, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    I haven't tested this in Windows 10, but you might see if you may be able to using OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable autorotation.

    Screen AutoRotation - Lock or Unlock in Windows 8
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jul 2015 #3

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello pseudoware, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    I haven't tested this in Windows 10, but you might see if you may be able to using OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable autorotation.

    Screen AutoRotation - Lock or Unlock in Windows 8
    Thanks for the reply. I made the registry changed described in option 4. I'm not sure if that helped, it makes sense that s/b enabled in the registry for auto-rotation to work, but it seems like display rotation setting gets set to "locked" when the ymc service is running. If I restart it, when the service is trying stop, the rotation lock setting becomes enabled and I can change it. But, the moment service is running again, rotation lock is spontaneously turned on, and the control on the page to toggle this setting becomes grayed out/disabled, and I can't turn off rotation lock.

    I've set the startup type for the ymc service to "manual". I guess I could disable it, but I'm not sure what that might do. I guess that service disables the keys when in tablet mode, not sure what else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
       03 Aug 2015 #4

    I had exactly the same problem


    pseudoware said: View Post
    Unlike Windows 8.1, the screen on my Yoga 2 Pro doesn't rotate when I turn the device upside down to "tent" mode after installing Windows 10. When swiping right to show the Action Center, the Rotation Lock tile is disabled, as is this setting in the Control Panel. Anyone else experience this, and is there a solution? Thanks.
    Hi pseudoware!
    I had been searching the web for this problem but I guess we are not the only ones facing these initial problems now, just some days after the Windows 10 upgrade....maybe it's just that people haven't found a good solution yet after all driver updates etc. I'm not a frequent user of the tablet and tent modes so it passed some days before I noticed I had exactly the same problem as you describe when I flipped the screen. I had tried a lot of different methods with no result as I happened to more or less by accident "solve" the issue in a really simple way!
    I apologize if I will not use the correct words as I have a Swedish version of Windows and I might have translated wrongly. If you right click the desktop you will find two alternative menu rows related to Intel (with the blue logo). Select Graphic alternatives and then "Shortcut keys". Be sure the alternative is set to Active. The you just use the key shortcut Ctrl Alt Down arrow which will result in the screen image flipping 180 degrees! By using Ctrl Alt Up arrow you will be back to normal again. That means you can easily and quickly flip the screen before going to the "upside down" modes. But that was just the issue halfway solved for me as I still had to do the change "manually" I thought. But then guess what happened...to my surprise...the autorotation started to work by itself after I had flipped back the screen to tent mode!! Strangely enough the autorotation button in settings is still greyed out in settings...but I don't care, it works anyway!
    Now I just hope that this "trick" will work for you and others with the same problem on this model.
    Good luck and let me know if you succeeded.
    Best regards
    Bengt

    P.D. You can see all the other shortcut key combinations if you select the other Intel menu row
    "Graphics properties" and then enter "Alternatives and support" and "Shortcut key manager". Very useful!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Aug 2015 #5

    Bengt said: View Post
    Hi pseudoware!
    I had been searching the web for this problem but I guess we are not the only ones facing these initial problems now, just some days after the Windows 10 upgrade....maybe it's just that people haven't found a good solution yet after all driver updates etc. I'm not a frequent user of the tablet and tent modes so it passed some days before I noticed I had exactly the same problem as you describe when I flipped the screen. I had tried a lot of different methods with no result as I happened to more or less by accident "solve" the issue in a really simple way!
    I apologize if I will not use the correct words as I have a Swedish version of Windows and I might have translated wrongly. If you right click the desktop you will find two alternative menu rows related to Intel (with the blue logo). Select Graphic alternatives and then "Shortcut keys". Be sure the alternative is set to Active. The you just use the key shortcut Ctrl Alt Down arrow which will result in the screen image flipping 180 degrees! By using Ctrl Alt Up arrow you will be back to normal again. That means you can easily and quickly flip the screen before going to the "upside down" modes. But that was just the issue halfway solved for me as I still had to do the change "manually" I thought. But then guess what happened...to my surprise...the autorotation started to work by itself after I had flipped back the screen to tent mode!! Strangely enough the autorotation button in settings is still greyed out in settings...but I don't care, it works anyway!
    Now I just hope that this "trick" will work for you and others with the same problem on this model.
    Good luck and let me know if you succeeded.
    Best regards
    Bengt

    P.D. You can see all the other shortcut key combinations if you select the other Intel menu row
    "Graphics properties" and then enter "Alternatives and support" and "Shortcut key manager". Very useful!
    Thanks for the reply. I updated some Windows 10 drivers from the Lenovo site - one was for the touchpad and keyboard, can't recall what else I installed, but my problem appears to be fixed. It works as it did on Windows 8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Aug 2015 #6

    To quote what I posted on the Lenovo forum, in case some fresh eyes over here spot something:

    I've got the same problem: "Lock rotation of this display" is greyed out.

    Sensor Data Service, Sensor Monitoring Service and Sensor Service are all running. I installed the Win8.1 x64 version 2.0.13.8211 of the Transition software. I even ran it a second time in repair mode.

    I've pressed the physical rotation-lock button on the sid of the computer to make sure that's not engaged.*

    Tablet Mode works in that the app icons on the taskbar disappear when I fold back the screen. It's just the rotation that won't work. And, the ymc service is running, too.

    *Apparently, when that rotation-lock button is pressed some on-screen indication is supposed to pop up, but on my system it doesn't. I can't recall the last time I pressed the button (if ever) when Win8.1 was installed, so I don't know if there was a pop-up then, or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Aug 2015 #7

    wpcoe said: View Post
    To quote what I posted on the Lenovo forum, in case some fresh eyes over here spot something:

    I've got the same problem: "Lock rotation of this display" is greyed out.

    Sensor Data Service, Sensor Monitoring Service and Sensor Service are all running. I installed the Win8.1 x64 version 2.0.13.8211 of the Transition software. I even ran it a second time in repair mode.

    I've pressed the physical rotation-lock button on the sid of the computer to make sure that's not engaged.*

    Tablet Mode works in that the app icons on the taskbar disappear when I fold back the screen. It's just the rotation that won't work. And, the ymc service is running, too.

    *Apparently, when that rotation-lock button is pressed some on-screen indication is supposed to pop up, but on my system it doesn't. I can't recall the last time I pressed the button (if ever) when Win8.1 was installed, so I don't know if there was a pop-up then, or not.
    If you rotate the screen 360 degrees, click on notification/action center icon lower right corner. Is the 'rotation lock' now enabled? If so turn it on. Otherwise Lenovo probably need to look into this...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Aug 2015 #8

    I am using a surface pro tablet and encountered the same issue. To fix it I opened the settings for Display and while open rotated the tablet. This made the grayed out screen lock become active and I was then able to set it to unlocked.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Aug 2015 #9

    Whether it has been some of the Windows Updates, or merely some random alignment of the planets, auto-rotate now works as designed on my Lenova Yoga 2 Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 22,168
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16241
       19 Aug 2015 #10

      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi, I'm on RTM win 10 pro on my Dell 7720 laptop. Have 2 queries: 1). I've changed the font size to 150% which is fine on the desktop. But I need only the lock screen/Welcome screen to be 100% font size since on 150 % the font is too big and...
I can't edit anything in "Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen". It says "Some settings are managed by your organization". I assume this was set by Windows in Local Group Policy Editor automatically because I have not even messed with L.G.P.E...
Disable the Lock Screen? in Customization
Is there any way to disable the Lock Screen instead so it won't show on startup? Thanks
I only ever get one of the default pictures -- either the river or the sand. This is even after a complete reinstall. I also wiped out as much personalization data as possible from Bing and the Microsoft Account management page. They used to work...
Hello! Since the most recent build of W-10 (9879), my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock lights do not function on either computer on which I have W-10 installed (a desktop with a USB keyboard and a laptop with an integrated keyboard). The keys...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.
Find Us