Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    29 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1
    10

    Settings menu closes as soon as I open it. Help?


    I just recently downloaded Windows Ten today 7/29/2015 and I wanted to personalize my computer. I opened the start window and clicked settings. The window flashed up but then disappeared. It isn't showing up in my taskbar or in task manager. I tried accessing it from the tile itself and the little button on the side of the window. I also asked Cortana. All of the results were the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPoole View Post
    I just recently downloaded Windows Ten today 7/29/2015 and I wanted to personalize my computer. I opened the start window and clicked settings. The window flashed up but then disappeared. It isn't showing up in my taskbar or in task manager. I tried accessing it from the tile itself and the little button on the side of the window. I also asked Cortana. All of the results were the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    No problems here. I just did it .. and I get a regular settings window as I would expect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    windows 10

    I have the same problem if you I find any more information on it I will reply back here.. One this is on windows 8 all you have to do was make another account with the admin command line type net user username password / add and the it would fix on that account but its not working for me maybe give that a shot
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows Ten

    I have the same problem, but I think I might have uncovered some more information: If you try to go into the personalize page, by right clicking on the desktop then clicking personalize, it says that ms-settingsersonalization-background does not have a program associated with it. That name is just the title of the pop-up, by the way. Try it and see what you think.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by SubatomicCake View Post
    I have the same problem, but I think I might have uncovered some more information: If you try to go into the personalize page, by right clicking on the desktop then clicking personalize, it says that ms-settingsersonalization-background does not have a program associated with it. That name is just the title of the pop-up, by the way. Try it and see what you think.
    Same problem here, guys. I installed Windows 10 last night. Everything seems to be working, but I can't open Settings. I have tried start menu, win+i, and the side bar menu, all with the same results. The window appears for a split second and then closes. As SubatomicCake mentioned, the personalize page after right clicking on the desktop gives me the same error. Any help is greatly appreciated!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by mlwhitaker01 View Post
    Same problem here, guys. I installed Windows 10 last night. Everything seems to be working, but I can't open Settings. I have tried start menu, win+i, and the side bar menu, all with the same results. The window appears for a split second and then closes. As SubatomicCake mentioned, the personalize page after right clicking on the desktop gives me the same error. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Same exact problem except sometimes it stays open longer.
    It closes on its own sporadically and usually within the first 20 seconds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1
    Win10

    I figured out my solution, Hope it helps you.


    I had the same issue, but noticed in my application logs I kept getting a Side by Side error that "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.manifest" had invalid xml syntax. I opened the file in notepad and saw it was empty. All you need to do is delete this file (I just renamed it). My settings worked immediately as soon as this file was out of the way. I hope this helps someone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by smithpaul60 View Post
    I had the same issue, but noticed in my application logs I kept getting a Side by Side error that "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.manifest" had invalid xml syntax. I opened the file in notepad and saw it was empty. All you need to do is delete this file (I just renamed it). My settings worked immediately as soon as this file was out of the way. I hope this helps someone.
    So far so good, this seems to have worked! Thanks smithpaul60!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Jul 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    windows 10

    Microsoft came out with a troubleshoot and fix here is the link http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e04c55f?page=1
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Aug 2016 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    albeezy


    Quote Originally Posted by smithpaul60 View Post
    I had the same issue, but noticed in my application logs I kept getting a Side by Side error that "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.manifest" had invalid xml syntax. I opened the file in notepad and saw it was empty. All you need to do is delete this file (I just renamed it). My settings worked immediately as soon as this file was out of the way. I hope this helps someone.

    I have tried this but it keeps on telling me to require permission from trustedinstaller to make changes to this file. What do i do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
General Tips Open Settings in Windows 10
How to Open Settings in Windows 10 Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Network & Internet, Personalization, Apps, Accounts, Time & language, Ease of...
Tutorials
Apps & Features Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10
How to Open and Change Settings for Apps in Windows 10 Universal Windows apps (formally called modern apps) can now be opened in resizable windows on your desktop like any other app now in Windows 10. This tutorial will show you how to open...
Tutorials
Windows Phone Open Settings on Windows 10 Mobile Phone
How to Open Settings in Windows 10 Mobile Phones Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 Mobile phones are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Network & Internet, Personalization, Accounts, Time...
Tutorials
General Tips Open zPC settings in Windows 10
How to Open zPC settings in Windows 10 This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 9926 released on January 23rd 2015. Settings is now a separate app. Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9860 includes a new zPC settings app....
Tutorials
General Tips Open PC settings in Windows 10
How to Open PC settings in Windows 10 This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 9926 released on January 23rd 2015. Settings is now a separate app. Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in PC...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums