Windows 10: How can I extend the main volume of my disk? Solved

  1.    2 Weeks Ago #1

    How can I extend the main volume of my disk?


    I was dual-booting Ubuntu with Windows 10, but decided I no longer want Ubuntu on my SSD. I've deleted the contents of the partition, but I can't figure out how to extend the main partition to consume the extra unallocated space that was left behind after deleting the contents of the Ubuntu partition. Here are the steps I've taken:

    1. Open Disk management
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 1.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	162293

    2. Right-click the volume I wish to extend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 3.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	162294
    As you can see, the extend option is unavailable. I thought maybe I just need to delete the 77gb partition to restore the space to the main partition, but it gives me what seems like a pretty serious alert when I try to delete the 77gb partition:

    3. Attempting to delete the 77gb partition to restore the 77gb to the main partition
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 2.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	162295

    Does this mean that I will no longer have access to the 77gb if I delete the partition? Is this some irreversible change, or am I misunderstanding the warning?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    2 Weeks Ago #2

    When I try to delete the 77gb partition I get this error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 4.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	162298

    Any idea why?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    2 Weeks Ago #3

    Your clicking on free space click on c then it should expand you can delete nothing
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,151
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       2 Weeks Ago #4

    meepo said: View Post
    When I try to delete the 77gb partition I get this error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 4.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	162298

    Any idea why?
    Your disk is an MBR disk and you can create 4 partitions max. when you created a new 77 gb partition, it became a logical drive in green color.
    Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list par ===> take a note of the partition # of the 77GB partition
    select par # ====> replace partition # of the 77GB partition
    delete par
    exit


    Go back to disk management, right click on C->Extend Volume.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    2 Weeks Ago #5

    It isnt a parition its free space look at the detail it shows 4 paritions as explained you cant delete nothing there is no parition to delete simply click on c and expand it clearley shows up in light green as free space
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    2 Weeks Ago #6

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Your disk is an MBR disk and you can create 4 partitions max. when you created a new 77 gb partition, it became a logical drive in green color.
    Open admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list par ===> take a note of the partition # of the 77GB partition
    select par # ====> replace partition # of the 77GB partition
    delete par
    exit


    Go back to disk management, right click on C->Extend Volume.
    Can you confirm for me which partition it is? I'm pretty sure it's partition 0 but I just want to be 100% on something like this. Here's the image:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 5.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	162301
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    2 Weeks Ago #7

    Samuria said: View Post
    It isnt a parition its free space look at the detail it shows 4 paritions as explained you cant delete nothing there is no parition to delete simply click on c and expand it clearley shows up in light green as free space
    I've said in the OP that I cannot extend the 371gb volume. It is grayed out and therefore unavailable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    2 Weeks Ago #8

    meepo said: View Post
    I've said in the OP that I cannot extend the 371gb volume. It is grayed out and therefore unavailable.
    What do you have in the 15 GB partition to the right of the 77 GB free space? The 77GB of free space and the 15 GB partition to the right of it are both part of an extended partition. It's that 15 GB partition that is keeping you from doing anything with the 77 GB free space.

    Right now you have an extended partition which has inside it 77 GB of free space, and the 15 GB partition to the right of it. It's that 15 GB partition that you really need to delete, delete the extended partition (if it is still there after deleting the 15 GB partition), then you will have real UNALLOCATED space. And that's the problem - people are confusing free space with unallocated space - they are not the same thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    2 Weeks Ago #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    What do you have in the 15 GB partition to the right of the 77 GB free space? The 77GB of free space and the 15 GB partition to the right of it are both part of an extended partition. It's that 15 GB partition that is keeping you from doing anything with the 77 GB free space.

    Right now you have an extended partition which has inside it 77 GB of free space, and the 15 GB partition to the right of it. It's that 15 GB partition that you really need to delete, delete the extended partition (if it is still there after deleting the 15 GB partition), then you will have real UNALLOCATED space. And that's the problem - people are confusing free space with unallocated space - they are not the same thing.

    How can I check the 15gb partition to ensure there isn't anything important on it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,151
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       2 Weeks Ago #10

    yep !!! What @NavyLCDR said is correct.
    I suspect the 15GB partition is just the old Recovery image from Windows 8 and don't think you have a need for it.
    Assign a letter to this partition and have a look to make sure or
    If you want to keep it then just copy to an external disk or make a folder in C drive then move everything to this folder.
    Go back to diskpart. Delete the 15GB partition first then delete the 93GB Extented partition. At this point, you'd have 93GB unallocated space and can extend C.
    Last edited by topgundcp; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:59.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hardware & Drivers Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10 In Windows, you can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent unallocated space on the same disk. To extend a basic volume, it must be raw or...
Okay so I went to hop on my desktop today, it wasn't waking up when I move mouse etc, which was odd because it was on. So I restarted it and I've had two options for windows 10 for a while now volume 1 and 4 I don't know why, I've always used 1 but...
So my C: Drive has been acting up lately, with barely enough space to stay alive. I tried to take some space off the D: Drive, which has 240 GB of unused space, and add it to the C: Drive using Disk Management. But when I shrink the D: Drive and...
Okay, so I have a 3TB Seagate BUP BK External Harddrive, I recently partitioned it for some Ubuntu action. Problem is, I got rid of all the Ubuntu leftovers and now i'm not able to reunite the two parts on my HDD. However, I can do whatever the...
Disk Partition Tool can't extend C in Performance & Maintenance
My desktop computer has a few hard drives in it and for some reason C: is on the second disk. It's maxed out and needs to be made bigger. I've uninstalled everything but have failed to make enough space to even backup my phone (Silly iTunes insists...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:09.
Find Us