1.    2 Weeks Ago #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.19)

    Can I undo deletion of 'Switch Between Windows' taskbar button?


    I have never used, and can't see me ever using, the 'Switch Between Windows' and 'Show Desktop' buttons on the taskbar. I also don't see a way to disable/remove them. So, if I simply delete them, can they be restored if I someday slip into an alternate reality where I would use them?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    2 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,174
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17040

    Hello cbiweb,

    You can't simply delete them, but....


    You can hide or show the "Task View" button at will.

    Hide or Show Task View Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    You can remove the "Show desktop" button with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, but I haven't tested it.

    7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeLs Blog

    If you just wanted to turn off the "Peek" feature of the Show desktop button:

    Turn On or Off Peek at Desktop in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    2 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,477
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Even when hidden, you can still get the "Task View" with WinKey+Tab and show the Desktop with WinKey+D, should you ever wish to visit your 'alternate reality where I would use them'.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    2 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.19)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello cbiweb,
    You can't simply delete them, but....
    You can hide or show the "Task View" button at will.
    Hide or Show Task View Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    You can remove the "Show desktop" button with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, but I haven't tested it.
    7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeLs Blog
    If you just wanted to turn off the "Peek" feature of the Show desktop button:
    Turn On or Off Peek at Desktop in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

    Yes, I turned off the Task View button and Peek function long ago. I'm wanting to get rid of the 'Show Desktop' button (not the menu, the button) and 'Switch Between Windows' button. I'll try the Tweaker and see how it goes.



    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Even when hidden, you can still get the "Task View" with WinKey+Tab and show the Desktop with WinKey+D, should you ever wish to visit your 'alternate reality where I would use them'.
    Which is exactly why I don't need the buttons on the taskbar.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    2 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.19)
    Thread Starter

    Problem solved.

    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    Move the shortcuts for the two items to another location (for storage in case of future need).

    ta-da!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    2 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,174
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17040

    Quote Originally Posted by cbiweb View Post
    Problem solved.

    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    Move the shortcuts for the two items to another location (for storage in case of future need).

    ta-da!
    That would only remove them from "Quick Launch" though, and not the taskbar.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    2 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.19)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    That would only remove them from "Quick Launch" though, and not the taskbar.
    True 'nuff, and good point. I have Quick Launch enabled, and removing the shortcuts like that does stop them from being displayed. Less visual clutter, a little more real estate on the taskbar for things I do use.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    2 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,174
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17040

      My ComputersSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
General Tips Add or Remove People Button from Taskbar in Windows 10
How to Add or Remove People Button from Taskbar in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 16184, there is a new People button on the taskbar notification area. Whether you want to share a photo, make plans for dinner, or get an answer from a...
Tutorials
Is there a reset switch to sleep button USB header adapter?
My case has a reset switch, which is useless. I'd like to convert it into a sleep button. The motherboard doesn't support it, but I have two spare USB 2.0 headers. is there some sort of adapter I can buy? Kind of like an ecobutton that plugs into a...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved am i missing the undo button in windows 10 explorer?
I copied a folder into the wrong folder. I tried to find the undo icon but couldn't. I had to use the keyboard.
General Support
Solved Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working
Greetings, For some reason, when I restarted my computer, my start button does not work, I click it and nothing happens. I can't even adjust my volume nor set my wifi connections. I've tried multiple fixes, using this command: Get-AppXPackage...
General Support
Switch off PC without mouse clicking when press the Power Button
Hi, Please could someone point me to a way of making it so that when I press the Power Button on my Windows 10 desktop that the computer will power down without me having to click with the mouse to turn off various programs or clicking the...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums