Windows 10: What is going on, serious disk reading every time after bootup Win 10? Solved

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,709
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       01 Nov 2017 #11

    How do you use your system? When first updated Windows has always had a largish List of tasks to "sort out" the new system, more on a fresh install but even an updates, (Indexing etc).

    If you are someone that switches on the system, does the work you need to, and then shutdown, then the organisation can take a while and does tend to do a lot when first switched on ( just my experience and no idea why It does it immediately after start-up)

    If you leave the system switched on for several hours, or in the case of a data rich system several days, The system should not be in use, as the tasks are set to only run when the system is idle, once this initial load is complete the system should settle down
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Nov 2017 #12

    Is the pc booting in normal time?
    Run CystalDiskInfo to check the statuc
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 436
    Windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       01 Nov 2017 #13

    Barman58 said: View Post
    How do you use your system? When first updated Windows has always had a largish List of tasks to "sort out" the new system, more on a fresh install but even an updates, (Indexing etc).

    If you are someone that switches on the system, does the work you need to, and then shutdown, then the organisation can take a while and does tend to do a lot when first switched on ( just my experience and no idea why It does it immediately after start-up)

    If you leave the system switched on for several hours, or in the case of a data rich system several days, The system should not be in use, as the tasks are set to only run when the system is idle, once this initial load is complete the system should settle down
    Mostly internet stuff and a bit of gaming. Ah, thank you. Yeah, just like you said I switch it on, do stuff on it and later on when I have enough of it, I turn it off again. But is it better then to put it in standby?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 436
    Windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       01 Nov 2017 #14

    robgr said: View Post
    Is the pc booting in normal time?
    Run CystalDiskInfo to check the statuc
    Booting time is nothing wrong with it, 20 seconds or so till appearance of the desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13,629
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       01 Nov 2017 #15

    RingTailCoon said: View Post
    Mostly internet stuff and a bit of gaming. Ah, thank you. Yeah, just like you said I switch it on, do stuff on it and later on when I have enough of it, I turn it off again. But is it better then to put it in standby?
    It will go in standby (or sleep) by itself. What Barman was suggesting 8think so), is to leave it on for a day or two. There are a lot of indexing (documents, music, pictures etc. to do) and possible updates. After a day or two, it should go to normal behavior. If not, report again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,709
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       01 Nov 2017 #16

    RingTailCoon said: View Post
    Mostly internet stuff and a bit of gaming. Ah, thank you. Yeah, just like you said I switch it on, do stuff on it and later on when I have enough of it, I turn it off again. But is it better then to put it in standby?
    Over the years, (I've built and set-up more systems than I care to remember), I have got into the habit of leaving any new system, ( fresh install or major update), that has previous data accessible from it, on overnight, (all auto shutdown,/ power saving disabled), to let the data organising to take place, after the initial update than you can switch the Power/screen saving systems back on, and it should be ok to go, obviously if you do a major change to data storage (install a HDD from another system that is full of data), you would be best served to leave the system on overnight again)

    I rarely switch off my personal systems, they use very little power when idle so I simply switch off the monitor if I am not using them, I often remote into systems at home so they may not get their monitor switched on that often
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Nov 2017 #17

    Clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 436
    Windows 10 PRO
    Thread Starter
       01 Nov 2017 #18

    Barman58 said: View Post
    Over the years, (I've built and set-up more systems than I care to remember), I have got into the habit of leaving any new system, ( fresh install or major update), that has previous data accessible from it, on overnight, (all auto shutdown,/ power saving disabled), to let the data organising to take place, after the initial update than you can switch the Power/screen saving systems back on, and it should be ok to go, obviously if you do a major change to data storage (install a HDD from another system that is full of data), you would be best served to leave the system on overnight again)

    I rarely switch off my personal systems (they use very little power when idle so I simply switch off the monitor if I am not using them, I often remote into systems at home so they may not get their monitor switched on that often
    so overall it's something no to worry about ( because I am right now...)?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,709
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       01 Nov 2017 #19

    I would not worry about it unless it continues long term, ( not a good answer I know), All I can say is that I have seen this on many occasions in the past and it does solve itself.

    If you wish to check in more detail - open the Task Manager click on the Disk Usage Column header ( so the highest disk usage is shown at the top of the column), then you should be able to see if any specific process is using the disk excessively. Look for an entry that contains "Index" in the title I think it's "Windows Indexer service " but not sure if it's that accessing the disk then I would think that it will calm down over time as stated. If you see any other process then make a note and let us know and we can proceed from there.

    There are better Free Task management programs available which will allow better control of rogue apps but are not needed until there is a proven issue
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,459
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       01 Nov 2017 #20

    Hi,
    You can check to see if you're set to send basic data to MS
    Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    But yes large upgrades will make a system quite busy for a while.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Disk IO being nearly at 100% most of the time in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, For the past few weeks I am observing 100% Disk IO even when the CPU usage remains in the range of 4-25% and the RAM consumption remains around 30-50%. This is with less than 1-2 applications open. This is given when I restart or...
Solved SSD Disk Active time 100% in Performance & Maintenance
Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus /...
I found out that the hard disk is 100% utilized. In Task Manager, the process that utilizes the disk the most is ESET Service. If I open Resource Monitor there are many instances of the System process that are reading the disk, not writing it. I...
Ever since I upgraded to W10, I get this problem wherein if I insert a disk in either of my two optical drivers, it would take Windows forever to read them and if I click them before they complete loading, Windows would become unresponsive and...
Read more: A closer look at Spartans new reading mode and reading list
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:00.
Find Us