Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    4 Weeks Ago #1

    Need to Manually DELETE pagefile.sys - HOW??


    Since a week or so, I have noticed that when I use Free File Sync to backup my data, it throws a flag that it cannot copy the file pagefile.sys (located on my 2nd drive) because it is being used. The program never used to say this. So what I tried to do is reassign the virtual memory to my 3rd internal drive, and to indicate no caching on the 2nd drive. Restarted the computer. Now the backup program is throwing 2 flags about this file - one for each of the drives, which leads me to think these files were never removed. I'd like them removed and possibly recreate a fresh one.

    Any ideas?

    PS> I think this error started happening when my C drive became almost maxed out, however the virtual memory pagefile.sys was never assigned to the C drive so this may just be a coincidence?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    4 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 8,827
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    4 Weeks Ago #3

    thanks but in my case the files shown at the link provided do not appear even when View "Hidden Items" is checked... So therefore I cannot even see the pagefile.sys!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    4 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,844
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by orlando1974 View Post
    thanks but in my case the files shown at the link provided do not appear even when View "Hidden Items" is checked... So therefore I cannot even see the pagefile.sys!
    You cannot see the image below:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	159780

    If you can just set where it say 2048 to Zero and reboot, that will delete it. Or set it to No Paging File-(NR)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    4 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,055
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by orlando1974 View Post
    thanks but in my case the files shown at the link provided do not appear even when View "Hidden Items" is checked... So therefore I cannot even see the pagefile.sys!
    You really don't want to or need to backup the pagefile.sys. It's a protected system file, and is very volatile, meaning it changes constantly as memory usage changes. It is also not recommended to run without a pagefile.sys, although you can. You can delete it it, as Josey just posted, but it will come right back unless set to zero. Free File Sync is just giving you a false feeling it is some kind of serious error, which it is absolutely not. IMO, ignore the message, Free File Sync simply does not know any better. Pagefile.sys is not intended to be backed up. No backup system I know of, including MS Imaging, backs it up. Ignore it, don't mess with, ain't worth it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    4 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,844
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    You really don't want to or need to backup the pagefile.sys. It's a protected system file, and is very volatile, meaning it changes constantly as memory usage changes. It is also not recommended to run without a pagefile.sys, although you can. You can delete it it, as Josey just posted, but it will come right back unless set to zero. Free File Sync is just giving you a false feeling it is some kind of serious error, which it is absolutely not. IMO, ignore the message, Free File Sync simply does not know any better. Pagefile.sys is not intended to be backed up. No backup system I know of, including MS Imaging, backs it up. Ignore it, don't mess with, ain't worth it.
    What you posted is true TC but if he cannot even see that, he does have some kind of problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    4 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,878
    Windows 10

    I think its in File Explorer it cant be seen

    To see it you also need to go in to Options in Explorer and remove the tick from Hide Protected operating system files, in the view menu (not recommended)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    4 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,055
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    I think its in File Explorer it cant be seen

    To see it you also need to go in to Options in Explorer and remove the tick from Hide Protected operating system files, in the view menu (not recommended)
    What the OP isn't seeing is that you cannot backup a protected system file that is in use. Even if you could, you would never be able to restore it. That would be pure chaos. Big bright blue/green screens.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    4 Weeks Ago #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,991
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    What the OP isn't seeing is that you cannot backup a protected system file that is in use. Even if you could, you would never be able to restore it. That would be pure chaos. Big bright blue/green screens.
    Agreed - totally pointless backing up pagefile.sys. No backup programs backup those these days unless you do an old fashioned and slow bit by bit backup.

    If one is not there, it is just created.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    4 Weeks Ago #10

    Awesome community here! Thanks alot everyone for your help. I was able to manually delete the pagefile.sys following paulsalter's tip, which was an option I had overlooked. I then recreated the file using the advanced virtual memory settings back to where I want this file to reside. Running Free File Sync again flagged it once more so after reading here that it is not necessary to back this up, I simply added a filter in Free File Sync. Things are now running smooth. The pagefile.sys exists on 2nd drive but getting excluded from backups. Thanks again everyone!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Easy way to Manually delete Windows.old folder
Greetings from Holly Jerusalem 1. Open this PC 2. Go to drive C 3. Go manage in top of ribbon 4. Click cleanup disk 5. In here Click cleanup system files 6. Check Windows.old box or all 7. Click OK Done
Windows Updates and Activation
pagefile.sys: 20 GB - reduce?
My pagefile.sys on an Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) is 20 GB big. Could / should one resize it? If yes, how? swapfile.sys is only 16 MB big. Is it OK?
General Support
PageFile what should it be set too??
Hi All, I am trying to determine the Proper Size for my Pagefile.. I have seen numerous posts and lots of different info.. Ithink I am supposed to et it at 1.5 to 2.0 times my Ram amount.. I was wondering what the experts had to say about...
General Support
Should I disable the pagefile?
Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? 91117 I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved delete "saved password" and "form data" from microsoft edge manually
Hello how can I delete "saved password" and "form data" of microsoft edge manually ?! after too much search in google .... I trid to delete some value of the following registry address HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums